• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

gottaluvit

Sorry to hear about your back, gottaluvit. That's never any fun.

And from what I read, time is the best doctor for most episodes like that.

Hope that you're "up-and-at-'em" real soon. [thumbzup]
Thanks guys. Time is what has helped in previous episodes. I try to take measures to prevent it, knowing that it can and will recur. It always seems to be when I want it the least. Findlay is coming up in just over two weeks and it's my first time selling there, with plenty loading to do. Gotta go easy. This happened today from that darn mil trailer plug being stubborn to plug in, using the CUCV to take my M105A2 to the scales to get an empty weight to get plates on that trailer.

Another Ahab

Yesterday I got the tires mounted. Good people. Did not have them mounted on truck as I want to make sure the deeper tread don't contact any body metal and today I threw by back out (again) and cannot mount them quite yet. Back on light duty, darn it.
Drifting, but check this out:

- It's an article I saved from years back in the Scientific American, about Back Pain.

In a nutshell, it happens to nearly everybody ("design" flaw), and about the best thing to do is....nothing.

View attachment Back Pain 1:5.pdfView attachment Back Pain 2:5.pdfView attachment Back Pain 3:5.pdfView attachment Back Pain 4:5.pdfView attachment Back Pain 5:5.pdf

gottaluvit

Drifting, but check this out:

- It's an article I saved from years back in the Scientific American, about Back Pain.

In a nutshell, it happens to nearly everybody ("design" flaw), and about the best thing to do is....nothing.

View attachment 621069View attachment 621070View attachment 621071View attachment 621072View attachment 621073
Thank you Ahab for taking the time and effort to put this up, even if in a drift. A very good read. In my years of dealing with this, I find that article to be dead on and explains prior frustrations with the company doctor. I thought he was just out to save the plant some cash. As the getting back to regular activity states, my hard head turns out to be a blessing, for once! Weedeating always seems to eliminate pain. Not quite ready for that yet.

On topic, using the CUCV to return the 105 back to it's "nest" as soon as a friend arrives to help.

gottaluvit

Ah, felt up to the challenge of putting the front tires/rims on. Still had a little hop from the front for first ten miles. Retightened lug nuts (rims had a little rust in lug holes) and now it's gone and rides nice at 55 mph. Finally.

Assel

Today I lubed the window crank inside and painted the Tailgate & the crank cover (Coverplate both sides & mouting area, Tailgate just the side to the bed). had some paint left and decided to paint the sparetire mount aswell.

DSC_4993.jpgDSC_4994.jpgDSC_4996.jpg ...also I started doing research about a snorkel, I think I was close to blowing the engine on the last 4x4 Meeting (had to go into a mudhole where a Suzuki Samurai died because the engine sucked water.)

DSC_0846.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

...also I started doing research about a snorkel, I think I was close to blowing the engine on the last 4x4 Meeting (had to go into a mudhole where a Suzuki Samurai died because the engine sucked water.)
Wonder what the "cure" is for that:

- Rebuild the whole block?

- Or is it simpler than that?

Assel

- Or is it simpler than that?
It was pretty simple, the Samurai ran later the day again. The water just killed the ingnition , they spent some time with tools under the hood and then it started to sputter & needed some pedal to keep it alive but then it was ok.

for the M1009 I found out about adding a Snorkel from the Toyota FJ80 , there are few threads on this board aswell :D

cucvrus

DSCF6589.jpgJust staying out of deep water is the cure for me. I only go in water that touches the bottom of the brake pedal. After that my feet get wet and I surrender. Last time I was in deep water I just had a rock/stump between the right front tire and the front bumper. It jumped the bumper but would not go under or over the tire. Stuck. 5 ton time. I had a leaking rear main seal on the engine and I think that is where the water got into my engine. No harm done. I am working slowly on changing the rear main seal. Have been side tracked with other projects including my Cadillac.

cucvrus

Today i had a failure of the glow plug card on my Big red M1008 plow truck. For over a year it gets in a mood where it will cycle the glow plugs for 10 minutes when starting. Then it will not do it for a month or 2. Then I figured if I started it and just left it idle it would quickly just cycle the glow plugs normally and all was well. The past week it needed the magic spray to start and I changed the relay to the glow plugs and it still did not get a signal. I then crawled up under the dash and removed the glow plug circuit card holder from the position it has been in from new. I removed the card and dug thru my drawers and found a used one i had. Plugged it in and clunk the relay cycled and the truck started right up. it cycled like normal something it had not done for a while and I smiled and drove it the rest of the day. That is the first time I ever had a circuit card fail me while I had a CUCV. I bought many that had manual bypass wiring and riggings but i always bought a harness and card to return them to stock. So I looked at the card. That is about 20 times bigger then it has to be by the technology that we have today. But all was well. I can not remember the last time I had the glow plugs pulled on this truck. I did smell the hot ballast resistors a few times. It is a hot mud and grease smell and it keeps them clean that way. Are the cards disposable or repairable? I have several GM ones and know they used to make them at CUCV electric. What about ones with lights on them. How do you see the light in the circuit board box?

cucvrus

NO. I keep the wake ahead of me. I did open the hood after the deep water fjord and the engine was wet. But the air filter and the oiled foam keep it from really getting in. No water was inside the air cleaner at any time. I guess I never thought it out but that is about as deep as I go. I think most times the fan is just idling along. Not thematically engaged with the clutch so it just sort of spins slowly. Ever just have someone start a cold CUCV and hold the fan while it is running? Even spin it back wards. Until it engages with temperature it just goes around undriven.

PJL

Finished up a few electrical details today. I added the tank and tool box to the back of the truck. Tank used to service generators and diesel Gators. Hence the "red" diesel if your eagle eyes caught that. I added the glow plug manual button and 2 extra circuit breakers where the radio would go. One is wired to a relay for the fuel tank pump. The other is a spare. As you can see the truck is pretty straight. And no I have no worries about exceeding the speed limit on the track. DSCN0430.jpgDSCN0431.jpgDSCN0432.jpgDSCN0433.jpgDSCN0434.jpgDSCN0435.jpgDSCN0436.jpgDSCN0437.jpgDSCN0438.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

The easiest way would be just word-of-mouth from whomever sold it to you.

The other way is tracing it back through the VIN, but that requires the intervention of wizards.

It's not important. I was just wondering. [thumbzup]

PJL

It came from JBLM, Washington State. Probably used as a service truck on base. It has a small amount of rust on the passenger side floor board. I ripped out the wet rotted floorcover to keep the water from sitting there. It seems to leak somewhere. It's not actually my truck. Belongs to the agency I work for. But I'm the one that got it and I have done what little work it needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks