• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Ilikemtb999

Yea it's a nice piece. Cut out of stainless but the shiny silver didn't really jive with the rest of the truck so I painted it. Also came with stainless hardware for that price.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's pretty slick:

- Where did you find the escutcheon?

(I'm a carpenter, not a body-shop mechanic, so I don't know what the body-shop word for that thing should be).
That's what Plumbers call them also, or "Beauty Ring". I guess "exhaust trim ring" works too, pretty descriptive. Looks nice. The exhaust on my M1009 comes out behind the tire.
Lol

Ilikemtb999

I've got my exhaust running behind the rocker since the downpipe is running on the outside of the frame. One of these days I'll re do it and snake it between the engine and frame and then be able to run a larger muffler under the truck. I'll still be able to use the body exit for the exhaust. I also made it as high as it is because I may end up just cutting the rockers off and putting rock sliders welded in since my passenger one is pretty rotted.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What transmission is that hooked up to?
This is stage 1 of possibly 3. Right now it has the SM465 and the original 208 case. Stage 2 will be the addition of the Ranger Torque Splitter and a figure 8 New Process 205 coupled to the 32 spline 465.
Stage 3 (expensive stage) will likely be a Lomax 205 case.

With this install I didn't cut out the tunnel to install a removable one, just popped out the hole for the shift tower. When I do the next stage, the removable hump install will take place. I have them here already.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Been driving it around this weekend. Got to pick up a trailer tomorrow. Gave it a wash yesterday and fixed the loose mirror. Heading out at 05:45 tomorrow morning.

uploadfromtaptalk1463361138730.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been driving it around this weekend. Got to pick up a trailer tomorrow. Gave it a wash yesterday and fixed the loose mirror. Heading out at 05:45 tomorrow morning.

View attachment 623165
Ah, the wishy washy. There was one here that closed many years ago. Much to my surprise I found that it had reopened a while back. Thursday I spent 20 minutes laying in the grunge under my SECM trying to hose all (some) of the spooge off prepping for the trans swap. Spraying with Purple Power and letting it sit for a while before pressure washing really helps loosen the spooge.

stationjj

I took my CUCV M1009 on camping trip to Land Between the Lakes.

I started have overcharging of batteries. In the field the best I can determine the driver side alt is problem. Voltage reading all over the place.
I was concerned about frying battery as voltage was hitting 30.1. On the trip home I pulled exciter wire from alt. Voltage settled around 27.00.

Oddly the Driver side alternator is the spare I bought on Ebay. I suspect the voltage regulator is junk. Got a repair shop looking at it.

Lesson learned. I suspect China Junk on Flea Bay.

stationjj

cucvrus

I took 3 stock CUCV fuel filter bases to a local machine shop that a friend runs and had him tap and plug the port to the pressure switch. I picked up the 3 bases from a swap meet a few years back and wanted to put one repaired for another project that I am working on. Total cost to get 3 repaired was $50. . I am happy with the results and I have a few extras.

GunnyM1009

Alright well over the weekend I drove Gunny to Fayetteville,Ga. I figured out another issue on the way back. Gunny needs a transmission I lost 3rd gear in Whitesburgh,Ga. He still made it all the way back to Alabama pulling a trailer and motorcycle. When you lose 3rd in a 3 speed trans your top speed becomes 30 to 40mph though. Probably going back with a 700r I wonder what kind of mileage I will be getting with a 700r and the 3.08 gears.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks