• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Another Ahab

Alright well over the weekend I drove Gunny to Fayetteville,Ga. I figured out another issue on the way back. Gunny needs a transmission I lost 3rd gear in Whitesburgh,Ga. He still made it all the way back to Alabama pulling a trailer and motorcycle. When you lose 3rd in a 3 speed trans your top speed becomes 30 to 40mph though. Probably going back with a 700r I wonder what kind of mileage I will be getting with a 700r and the 3.08 gears.
Did it just drop out while you were underway; one second pulling and then next second only rolling?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may not see tons of improvement in mileage with the 700R4. The 6.2 will be straining to maintain speed geared down with OD. In town mileage will likely increase with the 3.06 first gear. It's certainly a worthy swap.

cucvrus

Alright well over the weekend I drove Gunny to Fayetteville,Ga. I figured out another issue on the way back. Gunny needs a transmission I lost 3rd gear in Whitesburgh,Ga. He still made it all the way back to Alabama pulling a trailer and motorcycle. When you lose 3rd in a 3 speed trans your top speed becomes 30 to 40mph though. Probably going back with a 700r I wonder what kind of mileage I will be getting with a 700r and the 3.08 gears.
Are you sure it is not the kick down switch on the throttle pedal or the shift modulator on the side of the injection pump?

GunnyM1009

Im pretty sure the shift between 2nd and 3rd had been feeling very spongy for a while plus there was the big white cloud of burnt trans fluid that was behind me before I realized it went and just started shifting between 1st and 2nd but I dont fix things until they break. I was expecting it to happen soon I was just checking out what I wanted to go back with last week and was planning on picking one up soon it just happened a little sooner than I wanted it to.

junkpart

put new 180 thermostat with weep hole and fleet charge antifreeze. soon to put a fluid filled harmonic balancer. have any reviews on which balancer is good?

Last edited:

junkpart

I have a 700r in my k5 with 3.73 gears its my everyday driver great mileage close to 30 mpg. Has fine power wile regular driving. towing I don't use od and only light loads

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I parked mine in the driveway, chained the steering wheel with the padlock, and flew to Hawaii for the week.

We have a beach cabin at Bellows AFS for the week. This is the view from the back door this morning.

Attachments

CUCVLOVER

Yesterday I went and did a little wheeling while I was close to a creek. On the highway I held that diesel at 3k (70mph) for very long stretches and I had no problems. It's a long ride from my house to dover in the cucv lol. Pipes popping, engine roaring, stereo rocking. But I had fun running it. The truck did great in the rocks and water I had. Water up to the bottom of the door a Couple times so I did wash the bottom of the truck lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MountieM1010

This week I just finished installing a 4 gauge dashpod and a new set of Goodyear Duratracs size 285-75R-16. As I now have 4.11 gears I decided to go that size. Hitting around 3000 rpm at about 60mph.

Another Ahab

Yesterday I went and did a little wheeling while I was close to a creek. On the highway I held that diesel at 3k (70mph) for very long stretches and I had no problems. It's a long ride from my house to dover in the cucv lol. Pipes popping, engine roaring, stereo rocking. But I had fun running it. The truck did great in the rocks and water I had. Water up to the bottom of the door a Couple times so I did wash the bottom of the truck lol
The truck looks great CUCVLOVER.

I am amazed that that creek there is running clear; beautiful!

I'm guessing that there are no subdivisions out that way. Is it all mostly rural with good cover crops?

Or am I totally wrong?

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

The truck looks great CUCVLOVER.

Thank you
I am amazed that that creek there is running clear; beautiful! I'm guessing that there are no subdivisions out that way. Is it all mostly rural with good cover crops?

Or ami I totally wrong?
That is leatherwood Creek. I was on East fork leatherwood road. That is all hills and hollers, deliverance type area. Just little houses here and there with lots of rock in the ground and bedrock Clift's.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks