• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

rustystud

So what's the story with these, is the cover magnetized to trap loose ferrous particles suspended in the oil, is that it?

The Mag-Hytec does have a magnet on the dipstick, but the main reason to get one is the extra oil capacity and the cooling you get with the aluminum housing and fins. Plus it has a drain plug on the bottom and a fill port and dipstick on top. After you install it you never have to remove the cover to do an oil change. No more messy hassle. I know most people don't change their differential oil every 2 years like you should, but I always change my oils in the transmissions and transfer-cases and differentials on a regular basis.

rustystud

003.jpg001.jpg005.jpg007.jpg008.jpg

For the last couple of days I have been installing new front springs and the "rough stuff" 3/8" thick front differential cover. I also installed the "ORD" U-bolt kit and the 1/2" shackle kit and grease-able pins with Urethane bushings. Now my measurement between the rubber snubber and U-bolt mount is 3" instead of 1" like it was before . Hopefully now the wondering problem I had will go away.

cucvrus

Rusty Stud your work looks great. Good to see someone take pride in the work they do. Most CUCV's I see people working are nothing more then hacked up thrown together mumbo jumbo of misfit parts. And they are a constant problem. Good to see a nice clean job on the changes that you did make and it seems you have a good strong reliable vehicle. It had a humble beginning and now will have a strong finish. I hope not soon but it looks good with the changes you made. The CUCV in stock form was a great foundation to build on if diesel was not your taste. Good Job. Have fun in your travels. Be safe.

Another Ahab

Rusty Stud your work looks great. Good to see someone take pride in the work they do. Most CUCV's I see people working are nothing more then hacked up thrown together mumbo jumbo of misfit parts. And they are a constant problem. Good to see a nice clean job on the changes that you did make and it seems you have a good strong reliable vehicle.
If rustystud tackles it:

- You know it's going to be done right, and
- The bar will be set for everybody that follows. :driver:[thumbzup]

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

Today I drove the snot out my truck. I went up to Dickson TN in it, went highway 70 all the way Instead of the interstate. I made great time anyway, running that cucv at about 3k RPM a lot and was running from 45-75 depending on where I was at. In town was slow but on the open stretches I let it eat.
I meet up with a buddy in Dickson and went back to my house and went a few places in my truck then tinkered on his. I helped him wire up a power port in the factory spot.
Tomorrow is going to mounting a CB radio, high lift Jack, and a few other things I'm sure.

I know this is what you done to YOUR cucv but dude isnt on here much so I reckon if I'm working on a truck then I can post about it lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rustystud

If rustystud tackles it you know it's going to be done right, and set the bar for everybody that follows. :driver:[thumbzup]
Thanks guys ! Well now it seems I get to rebuild my TH400 again. I don't know if I mentioned what happened on our last trip to Port Angeles. We took the RV trailer to the coast, remember I posted pictures of the 40ft guns. Well on the way back the "modulators" diaphragm broke and the carburetor sucked in over a gallon of transmission fluid. I didn't realize it until the next day after we got home (thankfully the transmission held up until we got home ! ) and I went to move the truck. After finding the problem and fixing it I purged the system and replaced all the burnt fluid. The transmission ran fine until today ! I was going to the store and after shifting into second it suddenly dropped out and the engine just revved up. Putting the truck into manual 1st I drove it home. We have been planning this trip out to Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone Park for sometime. Now it looks like we won't make it. My son is really disappointed and I feel like crap myself ! If I was still young and strong I could have this stupid transmission out and rebuilt in two days. Now it will take me at least a week maybe more depending on what broke and how soon I can get replacement parts. On top of all that the brakes are pulling the truck to the right. I think it is a caliper sticking so they need to be rebuilt also. I guess God is saying don't go on this trip ! Either way I will start pulling the transmission out this week and see what happened. I'll take pictures of the rebuild.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the other head off, found the cracked gasket! Now we're gonna send out the heads and clean everything up. Had one suck stud so we pulled with manifold attached, easier to get at now!20160607_225542.jpg20160607_225557.jpg

cucvrus

Sorry to hear that. If you were closer I would give you a hand. The caliper part is a 1 hour job tops. The transmission well that's a different story. Good Luck. I hope you get to go on your trip. I have my hands full at the moment with my HMMWV project.

cucvrus

Got the other head off, found the cracked gasket! Now we're gonna send out the heads and clean everything up. Had one suck stud so we pulled with manifold attached, easier to get at now!View attachment 627435View attachment 627436
Looks like you have everything under control. I have never removed injection lines from the pump. Not that you done anything wrong. I am just saying I take the entire spider assembly out when i pull heads and change injection pumps. Seems a lot easier to me. I had guys bring me trucks like you are picturing and I pulled the pump and installed the lines to the pump to reassemble. You are making the wiser decision to get the heads checked out at a machine shop. Last set I had out/off were from a low mileage engine and I knew they had no issues. They cost me less then $200. to have checked and cleaned. Put new bolts on and use the teflon thread sealer. Looking good.

gottaluvit

Thanks guys ! Well now it seems I get to rebuild my TH400 again. I don't know if I mentioned what happened on our last trip to Port Angeles. We took the RV trailer to the coast, remember I posted pictures of the 40ft guns. Well on the way back the "modulators" diaphragm broke and the carburetor sucked in over a gallon of transmission fluid. I didn't realize it until the next day after we got home (thankfully the transmission held up until we got home ! ) and I went to move the truck. After finding the problem and fixing it I purged the system and replaced all the burnt fluid. The transmission ran fine until today ! I was going to the store and after shifting into second it suddenly dropped out and the engine just revved up. Putting the truck into manual 1st I drove it home. We have been planning this trip out to Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone Park for sometime. Now it looks like we won't make it. My son is really disappointed and I feel like crap myself ! If I was still young and strong I could have this stupid transmission out and rebuilt in two days. Now it will take me at least a week maybe more depending on what broke and how soon I can get replacement parts. On top of all that the brakes are pulling the truck to the right. I think it is a caliper sticking so they need to be rebuilt also. I guess God is saying don't go on this trip ! Either way I will start pulling the transmission out this week and see what happened. I'll take pictures of the rebuild.
I have had plenty of these Chevy's and only one CUCV, but this applies to either. The pulling brake may well be your flexible brake hose and not the caliper. It was the case for me, more often than a caliper. The internal lining of the hose gets cracked/damaged with age and a piece lets partially loose and acts as a check valve, letting pressure go to the caliper, but not back (quick enough, or at all).

Another Ahab

Thanks guys ! Well now it seems I get to rebuild my TH400 again. I don't know if I mentioned what happened on our last trip to Port Angeles. We took the RV trailer to the coast, remember I posted pictures of the 40ft guns. Well on the way back the "modulators" diaphragm broke and the carburetor sucked in over a gallon of transmission fluid.
How did I miss that (or am I maybe just having another senior moment)?

It's just a l-i-t-t-l-e drift here, but do you STILL have any of those pics!?

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bright side is:
  1. You blew your transmission within 100 miles of home.
  2. You're less likely to fall into a hot spring pool in the next few weeks.

As a bit of consultation:
View attachment 627505
View attachment 627504
Ya mean I have to follow the rules? I am NOT entitled to go wherever I want, whenever I want? I shouldn't have put rescue personnel at risk because I "deserve" it? Aren't rules for "others", not me? WTHeck is wrong with people????
Back on topic, good luck with transmission! Totally get it about "younger days". LOL. Too bad you didn't make it ALL the way home.=(

rustystud

I have had plenty of these Chevy's and only one CUCV, but this applies to either. The pulling brake may well be your flexible brake hose and not the caliper. It was the case for me, more often than a caliper. The internal lining of the hose gets cracked/damaged with age and a piece lets partially loose and acts as a check valve, letting pressure go to the caliper, but not back (quick enough, or at all).
I know about the brake hoses and how the inner lining can break down. That's why I went and installed PTFE stainless steel lines years ago when I installed all new stainless steel brake lines. No it's the caliper sticking. It work for awhile after I installed new pads now it's back to it's old tricks.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes the simplest things....

I planned to do an oil change before we went out today, figured 30 to 45 minutes tops. Pulled the nose of the truck into the garage (because that's all that fits) and didn't even bother with the ramps, just rolled under with the creeper. Drained the old oil out and went to pull the filter and it wouldn't budge. The wrench just kept slipping off.

Time to pull out the big gun- monster channel-locks. Ended up punching a hole in the filter which dripped all over me and everything else. There's not much maneuvering room under the truck for the pliers, but managed to get it to turn finally, then grunting sweating I kept turning it a millimeter at a time until it finally broke free.

I'll pick up a strap style filter wrench tomorrow; the socket kind let me down today.

What a mess! One of the most valuable lessons I learned from my 20 years in the AF was how to get oil off concrete floors; the auto hobby shop demanded the floor be as clean when you left as when you came in. They were militant about it too.

OC1.jpgOC2.jpgOC3.jpgOC4.jpg

Last edited:

Assel

Sometimes the simplest things....

I planned to do an oil change before we went out today, figured 30 to 45 minutes tops. Pulled the nose of the truck into the garage (because that's all that fits) and didn't even bother with the ramps, just rolled under with the creeper. Drained the old oil out and went to pull the filter and it wouldn't budge. The wrench just kept slipping off.
To prevent this from happening just put some fresh oil or grease on the Oil Filter Seal ;) then tighten it by hand only! When you do your next oil change it will come off easy with a strap style filter wrench or with just strong hands ;)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was the secret to getting the floor spiffy. In years past my brother had a muffler shop. We would fill a coffee can with oil dry then head over to the drum of brake clean and pump some brake clean into the floor dry. It would suck up the spillage in no time flat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks