• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Another Ahab

I got my idea from the MAN buses. They used square tube frames and closed cell expanding foam in them to keep out water and prevent rust. There idea worked great. So I cleaned my cab pockets and after using a good primer laid down a few coats of "Herculiner" . Then I added the expanding foam. I haven't had any rust issues in 20 years now.
20 years is a strong track record.

Sardot1

Last night I finished the resistor bypass, replaced the glow plug relay with a NAPA ST85, installed new AC 60G glow plugs and spade connectors, on one truck that was having starting problems. This morning with it cold, it started right up, yea! I learned all of these things from this site, and I'll be doing the same for the other truck in a few days. I also installed two new EXIDE 31XHE batteries ($95 each at Tractor Supply with 10% off coupon) in one truck.

I've also had various other electrical problems with both trucks, namely failed lights and turn signals due to broken wires, along with multiple breaks in my windshield washer tubing. I had my suspicions but the gnaw marks, turds, and rocks and pieces of my truck on top of the air filter cover were the obvious signs. I caught the little bugger this morning with a $5 Tomcat trap from Walmart. It's the same one my wife almost got a few months ago with a hoe, but only skinned its tail.

Rat.jpg

Last edited:

3jumpjeep

Last night I finished the resistor bypass, replaced the glow plug relay with a NAPA ST85, installed new AC 60G glow plugs and spade connectors, on one truck that was having starting problems. This morning with it cold, it started right up, yea! I learned all of these things from this site, and I'll be doing the same for the other truck in a few days. I also installed two new EXIDE 31XHE batteries ($95 each at Tractor Supply with 10% off coupon) in one truck.

I've also had various other electrical problems with both trucks, namely failed lights and turn signals due to broken wires, along with multiple breaks in my windshield washer tubing. I had my suspicions but the gnaw marks, turds, and rocks and pieces of my truck on top of the air filter cover were the obvious signs. I caught the little bugger this morning with a $5 Tomcat trap from Walmart. It's the same one my wife almost got a few months ago with a hoe, but only skinned its tail.

View attachment 630979
Fat little bugger. Glad you caught him. Reset trap and invite its friends to the funeral.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cucvrus

View attachment 630979
Don't appear like a resistor bypass to me. looks locked and stock and ready to rock. But I like it that way. That's the only way I rock. If it ain't broke why fix it and if it does break fix it the right way the first time. That is what the TM's always say and Sgt Halftrack. I want my CUCV to have the happy face in the PM magazine. Not the one in the back ground with the Sad face that says I wish they would have followed the proper TM and replaced my glow plugs with the correct ones. Hey do as you want.

richingalveston

looks like trouble to me, we cant see where the wires connect on the battery

you should not have any wires on the resistor if you bypassed it. at this time you are about to burn some stuff up once the glow plugs turn off. a lot of things are going to get more than 12volts.

Sardot1

I caught the rat in the truck that I haven't yet done the bypass on. I'll be doing that one soon. You can see the chewed windshield washer tubing in the pic. He got to the left front running light wires on this truck, easy fix last night. On the other truck he also chewed up the washer tubing...must be tasty stuff...and he chewed up most of the wires at the rear bumper, so I only have one working tactical light, and no running lights, turn signals, or back up lights. And then there is one wire that goes to something just below the radiator fan, I'm not sure what is yet, or where the other end was connected, but he got that one on both trucks.

rustystud

I caught the rat in the truck that I haven't yet done the bypass on. I'll be doing that one soon. You can see the chewed windshield washer tubing in the pic. He got to the left front running light wires on this truck, easy fix last night. On the other truck he also chewed up the washer tubing...must be tasty stuff...and he chewed up most of the wires at the rear bumper, so I only have one working tactical light, and no running lights, turn signals, or back up lights. And then there is one wire that goes to something just below the radiator fan, I'm not sure what is yet, or where the other end was connected, but he got that one on both trucks.
I really hate rats ! Good job killing that thing ! I also hate field mice. They can do so much damage especially since they can crawl into really small places and wreck havoc on your vehicle. We've been having a problem with both lately getting into our cars and trucks.

alpine44

View attachment 630979
Add a Rat Terrier to your pack. They have their name for a reason. They are a little smaller than the dog in your avatar (Mountain Feist ?) and are relentless rodent hunters/killers. At the same time very social and easily trainable.

Last edited:

86M1009AJH

Just finished up installing freshly repainted, mil-surp, replacement side view mirrors on the War Wagon. Also made some custom aluminum battery braces after changing the tie down rods with some SS threaded rod and mounted the fog lights on the brush guard. Up next is getting pics of the custom 20mm ammo can center console with the air horn activator button, the air horn and its mount under the hood, the air tank reservoir, and its electrical box. Lastly on the "For Now" to do list, finish wiring up the fog lights and get some pics of that.
IMG_20160702_204753792.jpgIMG_20160519_172957986_HDR.jpgIMG_20160519_173012746.jpgIMG_20160519_173030512_HDR.jpgIMG_20160519_173104404_HDR.jpg

rustystud

Just finished up installing freshly repainted, mil-surp, replacement side view mirrors on the War Wagon. Also made some custom aluminum battery braces after changing the tie down rods with some SS threaded rod and mounted the fog lights on the brush guard. Up next is getting pics of the custom 20mm ammo can center console with the air horn activator button, the air horn and its mount under the hood, the air tank reservoir, and its electrical box. Lastly on the "For Now" to do list, finish wiring up the fog lights and get some pics of that.
View attachment 631327View attachment 631325View attachment 631326View attachment 631336View attachment 631337
I'm a firm believer in using stainless steel bolts and nuts in our vehicles. I like the fog lights !

rustystud

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any value in rotating the batteries? My GPs are on 12V now but the starter and a couple accessories (that are only ever on with the engine running) are on 24V, so the front battery gets pulled down a lot more than the rear.

cucvrus

I guess that will help. But the left alternator is taking all the charging also. As designed both batteries and both alternators shared the charging. Any that were modified when I bought them are not modified when I own them and sell them. Like I always say do as you wish. I like to see all the non hackers on in my collection. That's not just me.

gottaluvit

I guess that will help. But the left alternator is taking all the charging also. As designed both batteries and both alternators shared the charging. Any that were modified when I bought them are not modified when I own them and sell them. Like I always say do as you wish. I like to see all the non hackers on in my collection. That's not just me.
Don't all the 12V load affect one battery/alternator more than the other, even as stock? Headlights, wipers, heater, and, well, everything but the starter and glow plugs?

latvius

Replaced old lights, sockets and lens's (big diff between old faded ones and new). Replaced the power steering hoses as I found they were leaking. Plus found that the steering gearbox bolts were loose so I tightened them as well.

IMAG1250.jpgIMAG1261.jpgIMAG1262.jpgIMAG1263.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks