• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday I loaded my wife's M422 onto our flatbed trailer behind my M1009. The Mite doesn't run. I manually winched it up on the trailer with an 8,000 lb capacity ratchet winch, 2 axle tie downs, and a 20' trucker's chain.
IMG_3366.JPGIMG_3367.JPGIMG_3368.JPGIMG_3369.JPGIMG_3370.JPGIMG_3371.JPGIMG_3372.JPGIMG_3373.JPGIMG_3374.JPGIMG_3378.JPGIMG_3375.JPGIMG_3376.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might need that tranny if you don't like it.

Sent from atop the porcelain throne.
Since I'm in the midst of moving, it will be a while before I can swap it out. Once I do, I have a nice package for someone wanting to change over. I installed a new flywheel, clutch assy and so forth. Pedal assy will be available as will the standard shift column. I did it right, just not enjoying it.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Ahab. :) The trailer weighs 1700 lbs and has a steel deck. The M422 weighs 1700 lbs. I'm over 3500 lbs with the spare trailer tire and tools. My MPG without the trailer is 20 MPG. Towing the trailer and Mite it's 10-12. I run no faster than 60 MPH when hauling that setup. It is very stable, but also VERY noticeable. Highway overpasses drop my speed 5+ MPH. My M1009 has stock 3.08 gears, stock 31" tires, and a stock 6.2 L.

That's great set-up. [thumbzup]

How's the driving with the trailer, do you even notice it?

Another Ahab

Thanks, Ahab. :) The trailer weighs 1700 lbs and has a steel deck. The M422 weighs 1700 lbs. I'm over 3500 lbs with the spare trailer tire and tools. My MPG without the trailer is 20 MPG. Towing the trailer and Mite it's 10-12. I run no faster than 60 MPH when hauling that setup. It is very stable, but also VERY noticeable. Highway overpasses drop my speed 5+ MPH. My M1009 has stock 3.08 gears, stock 31" tires, and a stock 6.2 L.
It looks like your load and your "hauler" are about equal weights, but I thought maybe because the trailer was so low that might make it less noticeable to haul, but now I know that's not true. :popcorn:[thumbzup]

cucvrus

I seen others post pictures of Cars before. So I will chance showing my 1996 car I bought as a civilian under cover vehicle / car.DSCF7287.jpgDSCF7286.jpgDSCF7288.jpgDSCF7289.jpgDSCF7290.jpgDSCF7291.jpgDSCF7292.jpgThe last 4 pictures show my rescue of the Cadillac from the police impound garage. Just shortly before it was marked for disposal as a scrap vehicle. DSCF5909.jpgDSCF5908.jpgDSCF5907.jpgDSCF5910.jpgIt was just another vehicle that I felt the need to spare a horrible death. Even worse getting picked apart my mice and treasure seekers in a YOUPULLIT. Check out the color of the seats. They would have matched the CUCV trucks interior very nice.

Another Ahab

I seen others post pictures of Cars before. So I will chance showing my 1996 car I bought as a civilian under cover vehicle / car.
I was wondering about starting a "Car" thread in the Conversation or Mess Hall forum, and you just inspired me here to give it a shot, cucvrus. Wish me luck!

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a no-start this morning. The GEN 1 light was dim while the GPs were heating so I knew something was amiss. The GEN 1 light brightened and dimmed several times but settled on dim and then there wasn't enough juice to turn it over. I jumped it and it fired right up. Belts are tight and nothing got left on, so I'm not sure what is going on.

bryfor

My gen 2 light didnt come on at startup...then flickered and went out. Threw a meter on the rear batt...only12.3 volts. Ended up the square plug on pass alternator was all full of what appeared to be tar or undercoating. Cleaned it up and all is well! Guess I missed a connection whenI was cleaning everything coupla months ago. Just goes to say....watch those idiot lights like an idiot! Theyre there for a reason!

rustystud

Yesterday I adjusted the steering gear sector shaft as there was getting quite a lot of steering wheel movement. I had already checked all linkages and replaced my drag-link ends. So today I went for a drive. Works great now.

richingalveston

do you have any directions on adjusting the steering box. I need to tackle mine. I have a brand new PSC ported box and it has way to much slop. I sent the first one back and the second one they sent was only slightly better. I figured it was a waste of time to try a third time so I decided to keep it and figure out how to fix it myself.

It is on the list right after I finish the turbo so It is future work but I like to learn what I can when I can.

Thanks
Rich

cucvrus

I just put 2 re-manufactured steering boxes on the plow trucks and that was the silver bullet to the loose steering. And at $149. less 10% it was a hard deal to pass up on. It is a US re-manufactured unit and warranted for life. I did have cores each time so I avoided the $80. core charge. Good Luck.

Another Ahab

I just put 2 re-manufactured steering boxes on the plow trucks and that was the silver bullet to the loose steering. And at $149. less 10% it was a hard deal to pass up on. It is a US re-manufactured unit and warranted for life. I did have cores each time so I avoided the $80. core charge. Good Luck.
It's hard to beat a deal like that.

machinist75

This is actually pics of my suburban m1007 cucv clone. I replaced the rubber and felt on the drivers side door. Took me a couple hours but learned how I get done so shouldn't take me that long with the other three doors. While I had the door panel off I wrapped the velour covered piece with some marine marpat material and overlayed the wood grain colored panel with some marpat 3m vynil. I need to do something about the chrome pieces and the cracked arm rest pad.

Attachments

cucvrus

My Mule M1009 is living in the 9's. 99,910. miles. A few more miles and it will be a new truck again with 00,000.0 on the odometer. And just keeps going. I did do major overhauling last year and have been driving it hard since then. i will give it a complete service at the GM dealer in celebration of it's odometer roll over. Total cost about $60. Hard to buy the oil/filter and lay on the ground at that price. Besides I get to get a look see at the complete under side while it is on the rack. They check and lube everything at that price. I supervise some times. I also get the free safety inspection and a paper with all the brakes measurements and all. Nice to have when you are running all the time and need piece of mind and another set of eyes to look at what you may have over looked. Have a great day.

Another Ahab

My Mule M1009 is living in the 9's. 99,910. miles. A few more miles and it will be a new truck again with 00,000.0 on the odometer. And just keeps going. I did do major overhauling last year and have been driving it hard since then. i will give it a complete service at the GM dealer in celebration of it's odometer roll over. Total cost about $60. Hard to buy the oil/filter and lay on the ground at that price.
That's so cheap, it's like you HAVE to do it, even if you didn't want to. :beer:

rustystud

do you have any directions on adjusting the steering box. I need to tackle mine. I have a brand new PSC ported box and it has way to much slop. I sent the first one back and the second one they sent was only slightly better. I figured it was a waste of time to try a third time so I decided to keep it and figure out how to fix it myself.

It is on the list right after I finish the turbo so It is future work but I like to learn what I can when I can.

Thanks
Rich
First jack-up the front end and put it on jackstands. Then look for the steering gear sector shaft adjusting screw on the gear.
On the top of the gear there is a Allen head screw and jam nut. Loosen the jam nut (5/8") and turn the Allen screw (3/16") clockwise until there is no more movement in the steering wheel. By turning the steering wheel and looking at your front tire you can see when turning the wheel actually turns the tires. Don't go more then 1/2 turn though. After you adjusted it, tighten the jam nut and take the truck for a drive. If it needs more adjustment then just repeat these steps. If it takes more then 1-1/2 turns then the steering gear is shot. Just a note, you might have to remove the radiator shroud to get access to the adjusting screw. If you feel binding when turning the steering wheel when driving then you have gone to far with the adjustment. Turn it back until the binding is gone. If the steering gear is still loose then you must replace the steering gear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks