• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have wanted to set it on fire the last week or so. I have had to use it as my daily driver and she has been giving me nothing but fuel trouble. Finally after making everything from the tank up new, the last thing it could be is the IP. I have started the swap for an NOS one, will hopefully finish tomorrow.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm seriously considering doing the same to my M1009. Could you please explain how you secured the paracord when you started? What knot(s) did you use to tie it off at the end of the top and bottom sections?

View attachment 635679

Here is the finished product. Took maybe an hour and a half total. I just wrapped the cord nice and tight with the occasional note.

That would be cool if it was in the stickies thanks cucvrus

glaser06

I have wanted to set it on fire the last week or so. I have had to use it as my daily driver and she has been giving me nothing but fuel trouble. Finally after making everything from the tank up new, the last thing it could be is the IP. I have started the swap for an NOS one, will hopefully finish tomorrow.
Symptoms? I'm having issues with mine atm

Sent from atop the porcelain throne.

rustystud

Are all the fuel tank vent lines clear ? In this warm weather even diesel fuel can start to vapor lock.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be driving along, then it would loose power, smoke grey/blue, then pick up again. Or die if jt happened while slowing down. Or just die outright. New sending unit/pickup, all new rubber hoses, upgraded filter.

I had it torn most of the way down to change the IP, when I decided to try the fuel flow test in the TM. It was low. I had put an inline electric pump in when it wouldn't run at all due to no fuel to IP. Drove it for a day like that, then symtoms returned, but not exactly the same. Decided to go back to stock lift pump, and put it all back together. Runs good except there is air in the fuel, it hiccups, acts like I am pumping the accelerator, but no smoke or dieing. Rechecked all the lines, I have a new lift pump I plan to put on this morning.

cucvrus

I would be driving along, then it would loose power, smoke grey/blue, then pick up again. Or die if jt happened while slowing down. Or just die outright. New sending unit/pickup, all new rubber hoses, upgraded filter.

I had it torn most of the way down to change the IP, when I decided to try the fuel flow test in the TM. It was low. I had put an inline electric pump in when it wouldn't run at all due to no fuel to IP. Drove it for a day like that, then symtoms returned, but not exactly the same. Decided to go back to stock lift pump, and put it all back together. Runs good except there is air in the fuel, it hiccups, acts like I am pumping the accelerator, but no smoke or dieing. Rechecked all the lines, I have a new lift pump I plan to put on this morning.
I may sound like a cracked record but a rebuilt injection pump will correct a lot of ills on any CUCV that is running poorly. I always change the lift pump when I buy a CUCV and they are usually past due and full of crud. Today I picked my Crown of Thorns M1009 up at the GMC truck dealer. It was there for Pennsylvania State Inspection and passed with no issues. It has 124K on it and will be on the road for years to come.DSCF7378.jpgDSCF7379.jpgDSCF7380.jpgTotal cost of Pennsylvania State inspection was $32.81 Not bad for a 30 year old truck. And I always take it to the GM dealer. I want it to be safe. No corners cut on safety when you are driving your entire family down the road on occasions. I have to get out on my cab removal project.

CUCVLOVER

I'm seriously considering doing the same to my M1009. Could you please explain how you secured the paracord when you started? What knot(s) did you use to tie it off at the end of the top and bottom sections?
I just used a slip knote when I started, clinched it down very tight and then at the end I just did a regular knote and also tucked it under a couple times. Then I trimmed he tail off as close as I could get it, headed with a lighter and mashed it into the other strands of rope. It seems to hold good and tight that way. I drove ge truck again this morning and it still is holding up.

CuCv M1008

Got to use the truck to pull my other truck across the property the other day, in the process of a engine rebuild with that one. I'm starting to stock up parts for the truck, fuel tank and rear drums shoes etc are on the way, still have to get king pins u joints and all the other stuff for the front axle. I usually have 3 days off a week so I'm hoping to get all of this done at once due to it being my DD. After this is all finished I'm going to get the injection pump rebuilt just to be on the safe side. Other than all of that I'm painting the frame and getting ready to change the fluid in the trans and t-case, after seeing what the gear oil looked like in the axles I can just imagine what this is going to look like. Still trying to figure out which leaf springs I want to go with in the front, I have been considering the replacement 4 leafs that you can get and put on.

rustystud

Got to use the truck to pull my other truck across the property the other day, in the process of a engine rebuild with that one. I'm starting to stock up parts for the truck, fuel tank and rear drums shoes etc are on the way, still have to get king pins u joints and all the other stuff for the front axle. I usually have 3 days off a week so I'm hoping to get all of this done at once due to it being my DD. After this is all finished I'm going to get the injection pump rebuilt just to be on the safe side. Other than all of that I'm painting the frame and getting ready to change the fluid in the trans and t-case, after seeing what the gear oil looked like in the axles I can just imagine what this is going to look like. Still trying to figure out which leaf springs I want to go with in the front, I have been considering the replacement 4 leafs that you can get and put on.
How hard of a ride do you want ? The stock springs will give a pretty hard ride but add an extra leaf and it will be really hard ! Now if you have a heavy plow up front then go with the 4 leaf springs. If not I would stick with the stock 3 leaf spring set-up.

cucvrus

I have been driving Big Red m1008 for about 2 months on the new 4 ply springs up front. They are the best thing I ever done to the suspension. You do not get any hard bumps that bottom out the springs. It ride fairly well and has the correct height without going wild. I am going to be putting them on everything going forward. I have 4 springs to purchase for a current project and will be putting them on that project as well. Good Luck Change all the bushings, shackles, and sway bar bushing up front and in the back springs.

CuCv M1008

I appreciate the input guys, i greatly respect both of your opinions as I've been reading many many comments from both of you over quite a few posts. :not worthy: ill have to think things over, i am leaning towards the 4 leaf setup because I'm planning to work this truck, it'll be a little while before i get to the springs. Got my fuel tank and a few odds and ends before i headed to work yesterday so that made my day.

cucvrus

DSCF7404.jpgIt is easier to change springs if you tear it down this far. It makes everything easier to change, clean and coat with paint. But i will be posting the rebuild on the Easter find M1008 thread if you are interested. New 4 ply front springs are on the agenda. Stay tuned.

3jumpjeep

View attachment 636483It is easier to change springs if you tear it down this far. It makes everything easier to change, clean and coat with paint. But i will be posting the rebuild on the Easter find M1008 thread if you are interested. New 4 ply front springs are on the agenda. Stay tuned.
I just love your landscaping. The well placed lawn ornaments is genius! I need more squares for my place.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks