• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

85CUCVtom

I started my truck today lol, I've had to back burner the project for a couple months because you know, life happens. Hopefully going to get back on track in the next couple months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustystud

009.jpg001.jpg007.jpg011.jpg

Well I opened a can of worms today ! I had bought some poly bushings for the rear springs a while back. So today I thought I would do a quick install and get it over with. Well the U-bolts had other plans ! It seems they got a bad case of cancer (rust) and didn't want to come off. I ended up with my 3/4" impact wrench going at them for quite a while ! Now I need new U-bolts and I think I will just go with the reverse U-bolt kit from "ORD" . That way I won't get all the crap around the U-bolts again.
I know I said I would not post pictures of my "ex" CUCV anymore but I would like an answer to a question about the overload springs. The overload brackets are riveted on so it came from the factory that way. Did all the M1028 CUCV's come with them on even if they didn't have overload springs ? My truck was originally set-up to haul a 400 gallon anti-fire foam tank. They kept the tank (since it was stainless steel) when I got it from GSA back in 1997.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All M1028s came with the overload springs from the factory. ORD also has a warning about the ubolt kit not working without a shackle flip. Something about the ubolt plates contacting the springs.

Last edited:

cucvrus

If you want you can get cast steel spring brackets/saddles. I change the U-bolts, springs and saddles at this point. I am on the 4 th truck right now. The saddles are less then $40. for the pair. In case you are interested. I get them from Stanley Springs in Harrisburg PA.

richingalveston

may be just the picture but it does not look like the stock axle, looks like a 10 bolt. If that is the case then you will probably have problems since the axle tube is smaller.

The spring mounts look to close to the diff. also.

If it is a 10 bolt then you may need to look at the 1009 u-bolt kit and that may not work with the thicker spring pack you have.

It could just be the picture and it is early in the morning for me. but make sure you get the right u bolts for the axle tube diameter if yours is not stock.

Drock

I just went through this with my M1028. If you call ORD they will ask you to measure your axle tube and spring pack to match the U-bolt kit you'll need. Recovry4x4 is correct YOU WILL have clearance problems with the U-bolt plate hitting the bump stop. You can either simply remove the bump stops, or lift the whole truck 2-1/2" to clear. I used this as an excuse to lift mine:whistle:. The bump stops are useless on the M1028's anyway because of the overload springs. I think you'd break the frame before the axle would hit the bump stops.

rustystud

If you want you can get cast steel spring brackets/saddles. I change the U-bolts, springs and saddles at this point. I am on the 4 th truck right now. The saddles are less then $40. for the pair. In case you are interested. I get them from Stanley Springs in Harrisburg PA.
Are these factory replacements ? It sounds like a good idea. I think I will give them a call.

rustystud

may be just the picture but it does not look like the stock axle, looks like a 10 bolt. If that is the case then you will probably have problems since the axle tube is smaller.

The spring mounts look to close to the diff. also.

If it is a 10 bolt then you may need to look at the 1009 u-bolt kit and that may not work with the thicker spring pack you have.

It could just be the picture and it is early in the morning for me. but make sure you get the right u bolts for the axle tube diameter if yours is not stock.
No, It's a Dana 70HD with 4" tubes.

rustystud

I just went through this with my M1028. If you call ORD they will ask you to measure your axle tube and spring pack to match the U-bolt kit you'll need. Recovry4x4 is correct YOU WILL have clearance problems with the U-bolt plate hitting the bump stop. You can either simply remove the bump stops, or lift the whole truck 2-1/2" to clear. I used this as an excuse to lift mine:whistle:. The bump stops are useless on the M1028's anyway because of the overload springs. I think you'd break the frame before the axle would hit the bump stops.
You know I was thinking there was no way that axle could ever hit the bump stops. I was looking at them today and there is no sign of any wear on the rubber. Maybe I will just remove that whole bracket assembly and go with the reverse U-bolt kit.
Thanks Drock.

rustystud

All M1028s came with the overload springs from the factory. ORD also has a warning about the ubolt kit not working without a shackle flip. Something about the ubolt plates contacting the springs.
That's a good fact to know. I've only owned 2 CUCV's. One was a M1008 and I sold it to the neighbor who was constantly nagging me to sell it to him and this one which is a M1028 that I have extensively modified.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks