• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

tankie88

Tried fitting a new tailgate window winding mech.Bleddy Chinese can't even measure the length of the winder T piece.It's that long the outside handle won't even close into the clips.The window won't even wind all the way down. Still have a inch of glass still poking out.The arms are at the end of the slides.

cucvrus

That bit of window sticking out is standard operating procedure. All M1009's have a bit of glass sticking up with the window cranked all the way down. Dumb design but that is the way they are. I put a small piece of aluminum channel on the top of my gates and also a rubber seal that covers the end of the glass when it is retracted. Good Luck with your window. It is a very troublesome part of an M1009 until you spend the time and money to make it 100% right. I will post a few pictures from my Terminus M1009. The window run channels are one of the most important and overlooked part of the entire rear gate / window assembly. They are key to proper operation and longevity of the rear window regulator. I know genuine GM regulators were still available last year. I bought one on Amazon. Good properly cleaned and lubed used ones work well also.

cucvrus

That tailgate release mechanism was a royal PITA. I know that piece was discontinued a long time ago. I have some that they just stay in the retracted position all the time. i am OK with that. You can open the gate at anytime with it in the down locked position. Not that I do but it is just another mechanism to put friction and stress on the weak aged regulator. That piece is easily lubed and adjusted or eliminated completely. I have a few of them still in the GM wrappers. I try to get by without them if they are missing or inoperable.

motorstormer

Finally did my dog head mod after about a year of owning my m1028. Thanks to everyone for all the continuous help, ideas, and motivation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Haoleb

Got around to changing my glow plugs over to 12v and bypassing the resistor bank. Previous owner already changed them all out for the 60g's which I did not know until I purchased a full set and went to install them! They left the stock wiring though... Figured I should complete the job and ditch the resistors.

Installed a 100A bussman circuit breaker and used all new 6AWG wire from the battery to the relay. I did not want to re-use the old wiring and just move it over to the 12v terminal block as it is too much current draw for the wiring size that is run over there and it was never designed to be running the glow plugs in addition to everything else.

20161001_180619.jpg

20161001_180637.jpg

NovacaineFix

Been busy and getting things going.

Retired my CUCV (the M1009) from daily driving and the abuse from my work in favor of my Navy Truck with a utility box bed. It's more suited for the type of work that I do and probably looks more the part.
As you can see, it ain't brand new, but perfect for what I need. The CUCV can now receive some much needed attention, and also serve as a reserve in case the Navy truck should break down. I consider it a civi MV, since it has a US Property sticker under the hood and was a Navy facility truck. Came from Naval Warfare Center, somewhere near Barstow.
20161001_171251.jpg
Those that frequently cruise Gov Planet may remember seeing this truck, it came out of Yermo, bought it back in July. Did a few things to it, but for the most part, it came off the truck running and in decent shape. Another SS member here helped tow it down from Yermo to my house. Not sure if he wants the attention, so we'll call him Frank, lol.

Since I'm not using the CUCV for work anymore, I get to use it for toting my trailer around since my 5-ton is too big to maneuver around on my tight driveway.
20160930_192142.jpg20160930_192400.jpg
The M1009 makes moving the 105 trailer nice and easy in this tight spot, it would be easier if the M1009 had a swiveling pintle like the 1008/1028's do. There is a fence about 9 feet in front of the CUCV, so there is no way the 5-ton can get in here, and besides I think it may damage my driveway if I tried.

EDIT>>>Found out my pintle is a swivel and it was just really really stuck. Carry on.

I know some will chime in and say "You can't do that!", but I did and it was perfectly safe, no one died (that I know of) and the planet is still spinning. Why say all this? I bought a trailer from Camp Pendleton, a M105A2 and towed it home with the CUCV.
20160917_145904 copy.jpg20160917_145917 copy.jpg20160917_145927 copy.jpg

It looks like it's sagging, but it's not. My driveway has a slight downward slope and the angle of the trailer just makes it look that way. Besides, my truck was loaded with all my work gear, so any sag would be from that.
It had a tarp. still have it, in a way. It decided to rip apart at the seams the last 20 miles home.
I like the trailer, it's clean, solid, no rust and it was rebuilt in 2008 with LED taillights. worth what I paid for it.

Saw another guy hauling one away as I was heading in, not sure if he is a SS member or not, but we both looked at each other like, "yep, I bought one too."

Last edited:

NovacaineFix

My M1009 has a swiveling pintle. Are you sure yours isn't just stiff from disuse?

Nope. mine has no way to swivel from what I can see, but I'll have to look to be 100% sure.
You may be right and it may have been seized up from not being used, but even after moving this trailer with the incline on my driveway, it wasn't enough force to even budge it.

Edit...

My curiosity got the best of me and I had to go out and check. I was thinking (and that can be dangerous) why wouldn't they put a swivel pintle on a M1009? My thoughts were maybe because it is a 3/4 ton platform vs the 1008/1028's and others that are a 1 1/4 ton platform, but that didn't quite make sense to me.

So I went out sprayed all sorts of penetrating oil and got out the BFPB and gave it a twist. You are correct sir, it is a swivel pintle. So now I have another item on my list of fix it's. It moves much nicer now than it ever did but it took a lot of swearing and that extra serving at breakfast to get it to move.

Last edited:

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope. mine has no way to swivel from what I can see, but I'll have to look to be 100% sure.
You may be right and it may have been seized up from not being used, but even after moving this trailer with the incline on my driveway, it wasn't enough force to even budge it.

Edit...

My curiosity got the best of me and I had to go out and check. I was thinking (and that can be dangerous) why wouldn't they put a swivel pintle on a M1009? My thoughts were maybe because it is a 3/4 ton platform vs the 1008/1028's and others that are a 1 1/4 ton platform, but that didn't quite make sense to me.

So I went out sprayed all sorts of penetrating oil and got out the BFPB and gave it a twist. You are correct sir, it is a swivel pintle. So now I have another item on my list of fix it's. It moves much nicer now than it ever did but it took a lot of swearing and that extra serving at breakfast to get it to move.
I don't want to be the wise guy .......the pintle hook has a grease fitting behind the bumper......

NovacaineFix

I don't want to be the wise guy .......the pintle hook has a grease fitting behind the bumper......
no offense taken, I can be an idiot sometimes aua

you mean this one?
Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 10.29.22 PM.jpg
Been looking for something like that for some time, so I am guessing that mine is sheared off and flush.
I have some maintenance items to do tomorrow, so I will take another look to see for sure, maybe it is just caked over with dirt hiding it.

My 5-ton's pintle, has the grease fitting right up front easy to get to, but that's a completely different truck.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought a M101A2 to use behind M1008A1
Some surface rust and no rot.
Lots of goodies piled in bed including two complete sets of bows and brand new camo cover.
Had lots of weird racks installed.

image.jpg

Last edited:

86m1028

Interesting. Did you purchase it that way? I've considered them and was recently researcing longer studs. My truck has the chassis cab 14 bolt but my old K30 had the 70 rear and neither had spacers.
Recovery4x4
A couple years ago, while picking up some trailers at Ft Hood,
I viewed 7-8 Cucv trucks with dual tires, no beds.
They all had spacers between the wheels.
All looked to be built that way.
All trucks were identical, except t-cases varied 205's & 208's.
Trucks were not in GL's possession or lot for that matter.
I did NOT open the doors of any them, to check data tags.
There were also a few there with a modified secm bed (had really nice dually extension installed).
Again, I do not know what were in secm style beds (wasn't comfortable with snooping in the trucks)
I was hoping they would go to auction but they disappeared & never did.

EDIT: I can't remember the size, no tape measure, & it's been quite awhile ago but guessing, I would say 3/4 or 1in thick.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovery4x4
A couple years ago, while picking up some trailers at Ft Hood,
I viewed 7-8 Cucv trucks with dual tires, no beds.
They all had spacers between the wheels.
All looked to be built that way.
All trucks were identical, except t-cases varied 205's & 208's.
Trucks were not in GL's possession or lot for that matter.
I did NOT open the doors of any them, to check data tags.
There were also a few there with a modified secm bed (had really nice dually extension installed).
Again, I do not know what were in secm style beds (wasn't comfortable with snooping in the trucks)
I was hoping they would go to auction but they disappeared & never did.
It's making some sense. Since the kits were purchased long after production, they have different style rims. These rims may be the issue. I really need to study the parts TM to see if they are listed.

86m1028

It's making some sense. Since the kits were purchased long after production, they have different style rims. These rims may be the issue. I really need to study the parts TM to see if they are listed.
Please update post when you find anything.
I haven't been able to find any info, but will admit I haven't searched that hard.
Ive only owned 1 m1028a3, I bought from the government, it had butchered & cobbled together suspension.
Frt had single wheel hubs with bolt on adapters, add a leaves in springs, shocks with coil overs.
Rear had Dana 70, over load springs were removed, multiple extra leaves were placed in the main spring packs & shocks with coil overs installed.
This truck did not have rear spacers but after seeing all the other mods to it, it wouldn't suprise me if they just threw them away.
Dually fenders were installed on original bed without cutting the bedsides.
It was a real hatchet job. Glad I sold it.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
15634661 is the part number for the spacer from the TM 34P. How little I knew. I checked to see if there was a part number for a longer stud but there wasn't. Turns out that the hub and drum with studs came as an assembly on UOC 254 and 254. Need to see if I can get nice pics of that spacer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks