• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

3jumpjeep

Recovery4x4
A couple years ago, while picking up some trailers at Ft Hood,
I viewed 7-8 Cucv trucks with dual tires, no beds.
They all had spacers between the wheels.
All looked to be built that way.
All trucks were identical, except t-cases varied 205's & 208's.
Trucks were not in GL's possession or lot for that matter.
I did NOT open the doors of any them, to check data tags.
There were also a few there with a modified secm bed (had really nice dually extension installed).
Again, I do not know what were in secm style beds (wasn't comfortable with snooping in the trucks)
I was hoping they would go to auction but they disappeared & never did.

EDIT: I can't remember the size, no tape measure, & it's been quite awhile ago but guessing, I would say 3/4 or 1in thick.
Pretty sure my truck's spacers are 1".

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

86m1028

15634661 is the part number for the spacer from the TM 34P. How little I knew. I checked to see if there was a part number for a longer stud but there wasn't. Turns out that the hub and drum with studs came as an assembly on UOC 254 and 254. Need to see if I can get nice pics of that spacer.
Would you link the tm please.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter

This was my old bracket......
Yup. That's what mine looks like. :-(

So a couple of questions for the folks that have been down this path:

1. Can the bracket be welded?
2. Are these available in the junkyard on other chevys?
3. Is there any expectation I can order a new one?
4. Can I get the bracket off the pump without disturbing the lines?
5. Does anyone have one they're willing to sell and can ship flat-rate to me?

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. In my opinion not directly in the angle....i would cut off 1-2" before the angle and form a new angle and weld it to the bracket.
2. I don't know
3. In Germany.....yes, but judging from the price they are made of gold.
4. You can do the job without Breaking the lines. You just need a pulley puller....

Last edited:

cucvrus

Yes it can be welded. They are hard to find. How hard i am not sure. they are a discontinued GM part and the last I checked they have been out of the system. They can be welded and improve on. That has been done before. I still remember buying them for less then $15. from GM. But fix what you have and improve it. i have 2 that need fixed among others. At this point I will not even part with a broken one. I would say a good weld shop will be able to do it for you. And you must remove the pulley to get the belt off. So you can do that with out removing the lines. I did it on one of my later threads of Terminus M1009.
1. Bracket can be welded and improved
2. Hard to find item.
3. You can not order a new one
4. The bracket can be removed with the pump still hooked to the lines. the pulley will need removed with a puller.
5. Check E bay and look around. I am sure you can find one. i tried to have a fab shop make them. That was not cost effective.
I hope that helps. Good luck and have a great day.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulling the pulley off while the pump was still in there was a giant fail. I disconnected two of the three lines and managed to get the pump up on top of the radiator overflow bottle. That didn't make it much easier and the puller was junk. Using a big pair of pliers to hold the jaws of the puller in the groove and my DeWalt 20V impact driver wasn't working and I was about to give up for the evening when I finally got the pulley to move.

So it's off now and I'll take it to work tomorrow and show it to a guy that does welding. I'm not sure how much it can be improved upon given the clearance issues on the engine. I'll drop by the wrecking yard tomorrow evening and see if any of the old chevys still has its pump bracket. Maybe I'll get lucky and find it in tossed unceremoniously into the cab like it had no value.

Attachments

Last edited:

NovacaineFix

just brought it home, first CUCV m1009. a long road ahead now.
View attachment 646809View attachment 646808

Welcome and good luck.

Greetings from San Diego, all the way in the opposite corner.
You've come to the right place for information and tips.

I was going to ask what that was on the front grille, but then I saw you're from Maine, so It looks to be a Winterization kit.
Keep us posted

Ph87nix

It is, and it has (what i believe) to be an engine block heater. It needs a lot of body panels, minor bits like tailgate regulator, hood latch, etc, and a going over of the engine as it has been sitting for 5 years, luckily it was a freshly rebuilt 6.2 before being parked. It was a coworkers husbands baby before he passed. he had a lot of the accessories; radio mount, decon bottle bracket, spare blackout lights, etc. and he was meticulous on records.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks