• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

That broken pivot area you are showing can be double plied on the front side as can the adjustment slots. I use a flat washer on the back side at the lower pivot stud and have doubled the slotted area on the front side. It added strength to mine. I still have one to do repairs on. I will post pictures when I get to that point. But they are very hard to find. I scour every 6.2 diesel truck I see at the YOUPULLIT. Just trying to help so if you don't want to fix it that's your decision. I am just giving you some ideas.

seansilverado

Yup. That's what mine looks like. :-(

So a couple of questions for the folks that have been down this path:

1. Can the bracket be welded?
2. Are these available in the junkyard on other chevys?
3. Is there any expectation I can order a new one?
4. Can I get the bracket off the pump without disturbing the lines?
5. Does anyone have one they're willing to sell and can ship flat-rate to me?
I welded mine 20,000 miles ago & it's still going strong

CuCv M1008

Today I am going to fix some leaks I found yesterday while cleaning my truck, Found 2 nice puddles on both floorboards. The weather-stripping is wore out pretty good. Other than that I oiled the door hinges and a few other things. If time permits I have 2 block heaters to put in the truck, but with work weather and family time is limited. I have painted the whole frame so far, now that its getting to the nitty gritty and theres not much left to do I'm getting bored, I think I'm going to have to buy another project. Having money for food and fuel is overrated right?

Assel

Yesterday I spent my first holiday this year under my CUCV :grd: , replaced axle shaft seal and c-clip, cleaned the diff, put a new gasket & fresh oil in and so far it seems all fine (The M1009 is the daylie now since my 6.5td K1500 quit starting...thats why it had to be done as quick as possible)

The wheel bearing looked still good so I didnt replace that.

DSC_5439.jpg DSC_5440.jpg

and heres a pic from work when I had to jump start the CAT 966H I had that day... I sure was glad to have 24V on my Truck :cool:

DSC_5352[1].jpg

Last edited:

Hal O'Peridol

Today I swapped out the seats on my M1009 for a couple out of a early 1990s Chevy 1/2 ton.

Original seats are in dire need of rebuilding, it's like riding on an old buckboard wagon. I got the seats from one of those pick and pull places, 25 bucks apiece. Cheaper than a seat of Chinese seat covers. Even found a set in that burgundy color we all know and love. Did pass seat first, pulled out old seat and frame as a unit, drilled 3 new holes in floor. Pulled the drivers seat and was measuring seat frame hole distance, and saw that the distances between holes bolting the seat to the frame looked REAL close. So I just swapped over the seat itself, worked like a charm. Much more comfortable ride too.

While bolting and unbolting seats, I noted that my formerly rust free M1009 now has a rust thru on the floorboard. Apparently water has been getting between the original floormat and the steel of the floor, causing rust to form from the moisture. Was not a problem at Camp Roberts where my truck was from, but up here in Wet Washington, it has become one. Next I need to pull that floormat out, repair the rust, and then plan on having the floor rhino lined.

One other thing I did..... back when I was driving these for Uncle Sam, we were supposed to put the assigned and assistant drivers' names on the lower corners of the windshields, so I put my former rank and last name on mine.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rotated battery's after 1 year.
Removed battery trays and painted them
Applied corrosion protection spray to all hard to reach places under front tray. No rust and I want to keep it that way.

Installed NOS passenger side front turn signal lense to replace the one I broke.

Installed new Acdelco cold advance sensor.
That thing is a total pain to get to. A breeze with the battery's and trays removed.

Checked all under hood wiring for any damage or loose connections. Checked all grounds again to make sure still ok

Took it for a short drive with my new M101A2 trailer. Pulled like a dream.
Overhaul of trailer almost complete.

Enjoyed it.

seansilverado

The belt on the passengers side alternator started slipping suddenly, checked it & sure enough that darn stud that supports the bracket & screws into the cylinder head had sheared off . Spent a few hours getting that broken bit out but finally got it .

SGT LongT

The belt on the passengers side alternator started slipping suddenly, checked it & sure enough that darn stud that supports the bracket & screws into the cylinder head had sheared off . Spent a few hours getting that broken bit out but finally got it .
That happened to me as well. Now I have to replace the spacer sleeve that's missing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

cucvrus

That broken alternator bolt seems to be going around. I had a friend try to get the broken bolt out and he broke a piece off the cylinder head. He had to get a bracket made to use as an attaching place. I will post pictures when I see it. He paid $170. to have it fixed on the road when it broke. When he came home he told me the horror story. He would not listen to me and just get it home. He tried drilling it out and broke a bit off and went ape s--t on it. I don't know what some people think at times. They get all rami and make matters worse. Personally I would flip the heads if it were my truck and I did not even see the bracket that he had made. To each his own. Have a great day.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday, I installed new Sylvania H6054 headlights onto my M1009. I had one minor problem. When I removed the driver's side plastic headlight/turn signal grill piece, the plastic piece that holds the lower right screw disintegrated when I removed the screw. I needed a cheap and easy solution to hold the grill piece in place. I looked in my recycle bin and found a ketchup bottle with a white flip open top. I broke off the top part, and temporarily secured it with blue painters tape to the underside of the metal tab on the truck. I reached under the bumper with my right hand to hold the plastic cap, and slowly turned the screwdriver. The screw bit into the plastic top and secured the bottom corner of the grill. It worked perfectly!!!! The grill piece is secured on all four original places!! :) Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. I hope my description adequately describes my repair, and I hope it helps someone else that has the same problem.
[thumbzup]

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got this photo of a power steering pump and bracket from a guy that wants to sell some parts. Can anyone tell if this is the diesel one? It looks like it to me but my bracket is at the welder's still.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks