• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Assel

Today I replaced the "rear pinion seal" (is that the correct term?) ..it was leaking diff oil if you drove for more than a hour, when it was hot it started to drip. So I decided it had to be done before the winter hits us (snow already on the "Feldberg" Mountain near me :cookoo: ...I´m also 800m above sea level)..oh and my 6.5td K1500 is up&running again aswell, replaced lift pump, fuel filter & PMD ...so I have both of my trucks ready

DSC_5451.jpg DSC_5454.jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the power steering bracket is all welded up nice. How do I get the pulley back on? The -20 mentions a special tool; is this tool available anywhere like Napa?

CUCVLOVER

Loaded the truck onto the trailer and hauled it to the muffler shop. Had a set of super 44 flow masters put on it. So it has true duel 2 and A half inch pipes. Sounds good, could be a little louder but still sounds great. Truck has power at the wazzo, will light the tires up with no problems

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the power steering pump bracket all welded up.

I got the bracket back on the pump but am waiting for some help with getting the pulley back on. Thoughts?

Attachments

CUCVLOVER

I just had the pulley of my power steering pump. Puller takes it off easy but to get it back on (didn't know they had a tool to put it back on) I just ran a bolt that would fit in the threads and used a nut and wrench to push it up on. Worked good. If you can get a bolt to thread in easily then you can put it on that way also. Use just the bolt, I have done that before on a different truck.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. I tried every bolt in my collection and nothing would thread in there- so I think the threads got screwed (!) up when I used the puller to get the pulley off. I imagine the threads are the same as on the bolts that hold the pump to the bracket, so I guess I need to go find an appropriate tap.

NovacaineFix

It's been awhile since I had to pull off a power steering pump, so forgive me I forget the thread size, but I think it is something like 3/8" x 18, but don't quote me on that, check 1st.

Here is a tool that I have had for years for the install and removal of the power steering pump pulley.
you can install it with no special tools, believe it or not. You just need a long bolt (about 3" and at least grade 5, a nut and a washer, that is basically what the installation tool is. Chase the threads in the pump so that they are useable first.

The long bolt on the bottom left of the kit is one that comes from a new pump, nothing special. Basically the bolt nut and washer are a makeshift press to "press" the pulley back on

20161012_224648.jpg

- spin the nut onto the bolt and slide the washer on
- insert the pulley onto the pump, loosely then insert the bolt onto the pump, then tighten bolt
- make sure the bolt is spun in with good contact with enough threads engaged
- with a wrench, start turning nut to tighten pulley onto pump while at the same time holding the bolt still with another wrench or socket, you may have to fiddle with the alignment at 1st, but make sure the pulley is square with the pump before tightening all the way.
- once the pulley is on and set, remove bolt nut and washer.

cucvrus

Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. I tried every bolt in my collection and nothing would thread in there- so I think the threads got screwed (!) up when I used the puller to get the pulley off. I imagine the threads are the same as on the bolts that hold the pump to the bracket, so I guess I need to go find an appropriate tap.
My experience has been that the stock pumps have a 3/8" X 16 standard coarse thread in the pump shaft. I know it is strange but that is how it was back in the day. Mixed with standard and metric fasteners. Clean the thread well with a tap and I think you will be good. Because the M10 X 1.5 threads are very similar. Many people use the bolts incorrectly and they seem to get tight in the holes. Good Luck. I have the Snap-On remover installer tool but the les expensive ones work as well. Even a bolt and nut will work if need be. Good Luck.

cucvrus

These guys don't like parts and tools from Autozone. It must be the original Kent Moore tool that is recommended in the GM service manual. If it don't say AC Delco they feel it is not worth the time. News flash a lot of the A C Delco parts are made in the same plants in China that the Autozone parts are. But all is well this is a simple process as long as the threads are not stripped or rotted out of the power steering pump. If so then Autozone has the pump also for les then $75. Rebuilt in Mexico. I can live with that.

rustystud

These guys don't like parts and tools from Autozone. It must be the original Kent Moore tool that is recommended in the GM service manual. If it don't say AC Delco they feel it is not worth the time. News flash a lot of the A C Delco parts are made in the same plants in China that the Autozone parts are. But all is well this is a simple process as long as the threads are not stripped or rotted out of the power steering pump. If so then Autozone has the pump also for les then $75. Rebuilt in Mexico. I can live with that.
Cucvrus didn't you here ? Kent-Moore tools are made in China now ! I guess the zealots will have to get another supplier for their tools. :-D

cucvrus

I have seen how some Americans work. And what they expect for the work they do. I can hardly blame them. I have seen how hard Mexicans and Chinese work. No surprise to me that it goes that way. It is a world market. And that will never change anymore. Each day the world gets smaller and the market gets bigger. Anymore you buy what you can get or do without. Have a great day and make the best of it for yourself and others.

gottaluvit

That is a very broad stereotype. A bit out of bounds to group all citizens of any nation in one catagory. ( Edit: I see not "all" but if enough to be kicked to the curb, must have meant majority)I have had to work with some slackers and carrying their weight does get old, but in no way is that the majority. The slackers never last long anyway as making it on time (if at all) every day is not part of a slacker's routine.

On topic, taking my zero-turn to mow a couple properties, with my M1008.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks