• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

rustystud

That is a very broad stereotype. A bit out of bounds to group all citizens of any nation in one catagory. ( Edit: I see not "all" but if enough to be kicked to the curb, must have meant majority)I have had to work with some slackers and carrying their weight does get old, but in no way is that the majority. The slackers never last long anyway as making it on time (if at all) every day is not part of a slacker's routine.

On topic, taking my zero-turn to mow a couple properties, with my M1008.
I have personally seen and studies have proven it out, that American workers are the most industrious and hardest working employees on the planet ! We out-perform any workforce in the world ! It goes back to our Judeo/Christian values. It's just that our cost of living is so high in America we cannot compete with foreign workers. Granted we have one of the highest standards of living in the world and that costs ! I suppose if we all could live in the kind of slums the Chinese live in then we could compete, but then the cost of our slums would also go up ! You just cannot win.

lefty

Bought 4 HMMWV 37" take-offs from a milsurp place about 2 hours away, got home and realized one is cut really badly where the sidewall meets the tread. On the hunt for a single in decent shape..

rsh4364

I drive my 86 1009 that was regeared to 4.56 gears about 2500 miles per month, so I am changing oil monthly, I use rotella t6 and a 2 qt filter. I am considering switching to amsoil premium diesel oil 5w 40 and their extended life filter EAO76,so I can extend oil changes Any thoughts or experience.?

richingalveston

I am going to use amsoil in my new 6.5 motor. I had real good experience with it in a 2004 duramax. I started using it at 10K miles and when the truck was totaled at 250k miles it never burned a drop of oil.

I never had it tested, I ran every oil change to between 15000 and 17000 miles. The truck was never low at the next oil change and never needed oil added between changes the entire 250K miles.

I know several people with bad experiences with royal purple. most believe because they started using it when the motor was already worn in. Over 75k miles.

I don't know about using it in an older engine my experience was with a new motor. They say with amsoil you want to run conventional oil the first 5 to 10 k miles.

Rich

richingalveston

forgot to add, get the dual filtration kit if you can. that is what I had on my duramax and plan to add to my 1009.
it has a regular filter and a 5 micron filter. you change the 5 micron every other change.
That was what worked for me.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got home from work and ran a tap down the power steering pump pulley shaft to clean up the threads. Once that was done I found a suitable bolt and some heavy washers and tried to reseat the pulley, but it wouldn't have any of it. It went almost all the way on, but stopped dead about 1/8th" shy of fully on. Using the POS puller I pulled it back off. This time I applied a liberal coating of anti-seize to the shaft and heated the pulley with the torch. It went right on this time.

Then high drama as the pump pulley was so out of alignment with the other pulleys I was ready to give up. Was it the welded bracket? Did it get welded crooked? :shrugs: No! I had the outboard adjuster in front of the bracket instead of behind. That's what happens when there's a big span of time between taking it apart and putting it back together. :-?

Next I struggled to remember how the three belts fit in but that came back pretty quick. I called it a night after that.

Still up- Tighten the belts and reconnect the lines, then replace the fluid that escaped.

rustystud

I drive my 86 1009 that was regeared to 4.56 gears about 2500 miles per month, so I am changing oil monthly, I use rotella t6 and a 2 qt filter. I am considering switching to amsoil premium diesel oil 5w 40 and their extended life filter EAO76,so I can extend oil changes Any thoughts or experience.?
I would stick with the Rotella T6 oil myself. That is a great oil.

CuCv M1008

I lost my key the other night after I got back from chasing off some people trying to mess around my property. Not to get off topic but work ethic is just like morals and good behavior, it starts at home :). I'm going in the morning to try to get at least 2 keys made. If I find the time, I have been kicking around the idea of taking the dashboard out and fixing it, it has a lot of cracks, I also have to put in a rearview mirror as someone took it out before for some reason.

NovacaineFix

Use what works for you and you're driving habits and budget.

I (used) to drive my 1009 5 days a week fully loaded anywhere from 50 miles to 150 miles a day, changed the oil and filter at about every 10,000 miles. Never had and still don't have a problem, but I'm not driving it every day anymore (got a newer work truck). I use Delo 400 LE mostly, but on occasion I use Rotella and a good filter.

I agree with Rusty, Rotella T6 is a good oil, just use good quality filters and maybe change them before changing the oil, I'm sure you'll be fine. It all depends on how you drive your truck and how. I mean in reality, you can change the oil every day, it's not going to hurt it, it will be expensive, but it ain't going to hurt the truck one bit.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Washed it.
Man was it dusty.
Engine too.

Changing oil and oil and fuel and air filter tomorrow
Mobil 1 oil (for diesels) 15w-40
Wix filters.

Been using that combo on everything I own
My 06 duramax just rolled to 389,000
Bought it brand new and has had Mobil1 since first oil change.

Im extremely diligent about oil changes.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up this civilian steering pump for $25. Not sure how it mounts up or if the lines are usable but I only bought it for the spare bracket.

Attachments

richingalveston

It is a remote reservoir pump, problem with using it is getting the hose out the back of the bracket. otherwise the hose has to come through the alternator belt. I am pretty shure the brackets are the same however I do not believe the small back one works as shown in the picture, it has another bracket that it needs to reach the motor.

I have PSC high output pump with remote reservoir, pump looks just like that but reservoir is bigger. It used the cucv brackets but I did not have the rear additional bracket so I have been running with out it and so far no problems.

richingalveston

is that the hose just looped back to the pump? looks like two hoses coming out of the back of the pump, that may just be the other end of the hose I am looking at.

The pic looks like there are two high pressure lines coming out of back of pump. may not be the case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks