• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

richingalveston

I have not seen one with a return on the back next to output when there is remote resevoir, the return normally goes to the tank on top when there is a remote reservoir. I am curious to what vehicle it is from. I am thinking a van.

86m1028

I have not seen one with a return on the back next to output when there is remote resevoir, the return normally goes to the tank on top when there is a remote reservoir. I am curious to what vehicle it is from. I am thinking a van.
Good point, I wasn't thinking about the remote resovoir.

richingalveston

I will have to pull my old one out and look at it again. It has been a while.
I just got excited because I thought you found a pump that had two outputs which could be useful.

sorry it is past my bed time.

Rich

CUCVLOVER

I wheeled the truck today since I'm down here at ga rally. Hanging out with all the guys from here. Finally nice to put some faces to names.
Truck did great, big block power to those low gears really makes it dig. Hauled in a bunch of wood from out on the trails. The cucv earned it's keep today

cucvrus

That steering pump you found does have 3 hoses. 1 a high pressure 1 a low pressure return from steering box and 1 a low pressure return from the brake booster. That civilian remote reservoir is a better set up then having to reach under the belt to get to the fill/check cap. Good find.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I'm not washing my truck anymore.

washed the inside and out from my desert trip a couple weeks ago, went to put the tailgate up and Pop!!!
Glass every where.
View attachment 649913View attachment 649914
View attachment 649915

Been meaning to fix/replace the latch on the back and the regulator, well I have a nice motivator now.
Tailgates and the rear glass are not something to ignore maintenance on. They are easy to break. I have taken few gates apart that did not have the remnants of several rear windows in the bottom inside of the gate.

Sardot1

I caught another pack rat that was making a nest on my air filter cover.
Now I have to find where he got that wire from and what other damage he did.
Looks like one I had repaired previously due to the last rat. He also had a zip-tie in that nest.
Rat 2.0.jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sun was out all morning while we ran errands but it was clouding up by the time I got home and got my coveralls on. Tightening the power steering pump belt was a puzzler, and the -20 was useless.

"Rotate power steering pump (5) by placing a pry bar between engine and bracket (4), and pulling pry bar toward power steering pump until belt appears tight."

Yeah, thanks. I used the square bolt on the bracket, coming from underneath, with a 22mm box-end wrench and that worked. Then the rain came.... I continued working long enough to tighten the other two belts and refill the power steering pump. Fired up the truck and ran the steering back and forth to get the air our of the system. It was looking pretty foamy in there; hard to tell what the level is. The brake pedal feels spongy. Then came the downpour... Packed it in. Wiped the tools down and put them away.

So that's where it is right now. Hoping to be able to drive again soon. Since I was already in the garage I tried the armrest covers on the armrests and they fit perfectly.

rustystud

Looks like one I had repaired previously due to the last rat. He also had a zip-tie in that nest.
View attachment 650036
Somebody needs some cats real bad ! At one point I had 20 cats living here ! Then the coyotes came and now I have one !

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 650036
3 Days

If you let it sit 3 days or more the rodents will move in.

Thats the wife's tale anyway.

Discovered a huge rat making a nest under the hood insulation on the 5 ton.
A poke with a machete got him in the ground. Then 22LR shotshell finished him off. Luckly caught it just as It was starting the nest. IMG_5272.jpg
Then my dog finished the job.

rustystud

The sun was out all morning while we ran errands but it was clouding up by the time I got home and got my coveralls on. Tightening the power steering pump belt was a puzzler, and the -20 was useless.

"Rotate power steering pump (5) by placing a pry bar between engine and bracket (4), and pulling pry bar toward power steering pump until belt appears tight."

Yeah, thanks. I used the square bolt on the bracket, coming from underneath, with a 22mm box-end wrench and that worked. Then the rain came.... I continued working long enough to tighten the other two belts and refill the power steering pump. Fired up the truck and ran the steering back and forth to get the air our of the system. It was looking pretty foamy in there; hard to tell what the level is. The brake pedal feels spongy. Then came the downpour... Packed it in. Wiped the tools down and put them away.

So that's where it is right now. Hoping to be able to drive again soon. Since I was already in the garage I tried the armrest covers on the armrests and they fit perfectly.
All the GM vehicles that have the Hydro-boost are a royal pain to bleed out all the air. Don't be surprised if it takes several days to a week of driving until all the air is bled out.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the GM vehicles that have the Hydro-boost are a royal pain to bleed out all the air. Don't be surprised if it takes several days to a week of driving until all the air is bled out.
Should I be nervous about the brakes? The steering i can deal with, but the brake pedal felt spongy.

With it foaming like it is, how do I know if there's enough fluid in there, or too much?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks