• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

rustystud

Should I be nervous about the brakes? The steering i can deal with, but the brake pedal felt spongy.

With it foaming like it is, how do I know if there's enough fluid in there, or too much?
Let the fluid settle over night and check it in the morning. Add just to the cold line and run it. You can hold the steering against the stops for several seconds. That opens the bypass and helps bleed out the fluid. Just don't over do it. A few times is all I would do. Then just drive it for awhile then recheck the level. Eventually you will bleed it out.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK that is a few miles away !
My commute to work is seven minutes, there's no way I'll ever move back to that side of the Sound and the traffic nightmare. :x

So today I got some sun again and finished the steering pump. Reconnected the batteries and added more fluid to the pump. Drove it around but the pump was whining more than Hilderbeast with another wikileak. Checked and the fluid was still low so I added more. I realized I was overthinking the fill- it isn't a transmission and as long as there's a little air space at the top of the reservoir I'm sure it's good. With that worry off my back I got it filled to the COLD line and everything seems to be back to normal. I'll top it off after everything has had a chance to work through.

I tried to put the armrests back on the seats but they kept pushing the retaining clip off, and I couldn't get my hand up the seat back with it in the truck. Well.....I wanted to swap the driver's seat over to the passenger side and the passenger seat over to the driver's side, so out they came. The seat-back adjustment lever and lumbar knob were both on the inside of the seats, so switching them around put them outboard where it's easier to get to them. I had to drill a new hole for the steering wheel chain but now it's all done. Took the wife for a ride and she gave the new seats (with the armrests) two thumbs up. [thumbzup][thumbzup]

Attachments

rustystud

My commute to work is seven minutes, there's no way I'll ever move back to that side of the Sound and the traffic nightmare. :x

So today I got some sun again and finished the steering pump. Reconnected the batteries and added more fluid to the pump. Drove it around but the pump was whining more than Hilderbeast with another wikileak. Checked and the fluid was still low so I added more. I realized I was overthinking the fill- it isn't a transmission and as long as there's a little air space at the top of the reservoir I'm sure it's good. With that worry off my back I got it filled to the COLD line and everything seems to be back to normal. I'll top it off after everything has had a chance to work through.

I tried to put the armrests back on the seats but they kept pushing the retaining clip off, and I couldn't get my hand up the seat back with it in the truck. Well.....I wanted to swap the driver's seat over to the passenger side and the passenger seat over to the driver's side, so out they came. The seat-back adjustment lever and lumbar knob were both on the inside of the seats, so switching them around put them outboard where it's easier to get to them. I had to drill a new hole for the steering wheel chain but now it's all done. Took the wife for a ride and she gave the new seats (with the armrests) two thumbs up. [thumbzup][thumbzup]
Well if momma's happy then your golden ! I too hate the traffic here. We are the fourth worst in the nation now ! Whoppie !
Now that's something to be proud of ! (sarcasm) .

Another Ahab

Well if momma's happy then your golden ! I too hate the traffic here. We are the fourth worst in the nation now ! Whoppie !
Now that's something to be proud of ! (sarcasm) .
We ranked second worst congestion in the country, dropping back from first last year.

I don't know who beat us out. But give us time, D.C. will make it back to the top again!

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter

When I replaced my power steering pump, it took a couple days for steering to be 'normal'... hard lock left to right and back again a couple times...drive it a bit... top it off...repeat...
I had zero assist at idle until the fluid worked its way through.

Hal O'Peridol

Pulled the instument cluster out, disassembled, cleaned everything up, got new light bulbs and cleaned the contacts. Will put back in tomorrow, and also replace the speedometer cable.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the instument cluster out, disassembled, cleaned everything up, got new light bulbs and cleaned the contacts. Will put back in tomorrow, and also replace the speedometer cable.
Dont forget to refresh your grounds in there while you have it apart.

cucvrus

I replaced an upper hinge door bolt on the drivers door of Terminus M1009 that I used to rescue a 5 ton at Rausch that had a broken air tank bleeder fitting. I used grade 8 3/8" X 16 with grade 8 SAE 3/8" flat washers so I could beef up the anchor point. The new bolts have a tensile strength of 11,600 lbs. X 12. I think I have each of the doors secured properly. Each is torqued to 23 Ft Lbs. I greased all the hinges and cleaned out the mud that had leaked in thru a crack in the door seal. Looking good. I have another run to go on in 2 weeks so I am just going over everything again to assure no break downs. Break downs have a tendency to ruin my day. Have a great day. And I did thoroughly test that small relay like Antennaclimber made for the starter and it works great. I just zip tied it under the dash where the stock one was fastened. No cut wires and the original one is still in place. Just in case Terminus M1009 shows up at Barret Jackson it is still all original. That would be great. No lost points for non original parts. just a plug and play back to original.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont forget to refresh your grounds in there while you have it apart.[/QUOT

Refresh grounds? Do tell. How do you refresh grounds? Is this the same as cleaning the contacts? just asking. I have never heard of refreshing a ground. I have added new extra grounds in the past.
Seriously?

Gonna be like that today huh?

You've been doing CUCVs this long and you don't know the difference between refreshing a ground and cleaning a contact?

Read the old threads
Plenty of ground info there.

cucvrus

I don't know. I am confused. I would not know where to refresh a ground on the instrument cluster. If you clean the main plug contacts. I would say you have cleaned and refreshed everything by doing that. So it may be a loss in the communication. But cleaning contacts and refreshing grounds has the same meaning in my world. Just asking. ????

chief1983

^ OK yeah that's what I've been doing all over my current project truck. Soak in Deoxit, brush off anything stubborn, grease with Permatex dielectric, reassemble. Need to do some of that on my CUCV now that I got the new headlight harness in from eBay.

glaser06

^ OK yeah that's what I've been doing all over my current project truck. Soak in Deoxit, brush off anything stubborn, grease with Permatex dielectric, reassemble. Need to do some of that on my CUCV now that I got the new headlight harness in from eBay.
I wouldn't put the dielectric on until after you make the connection. It's not conductive and can actually inhibit the connection. It's best to apply over the made connection to prevent corrosion or around the rubber boot if applicable.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know. I am confused. I would not know where to refresh a ground on the instrument cluster. If you clean the main plug contacts. I would say you have cleaned and refreshed everything by doing that. So it may be a loss in the communication. But cleaning contacts and refreshing grounds has the same meaning in my world. Just asking. ????
Was referring to the ease of access since the cluster was removed to refresh grounds BEHIND the cluster etc.
Whatever ones he could reach.
Was not talking about the cluster itself.

Remove ground
sand
brush
Apply NO-OX-ID conductive grease
reinstall

Simple as that

Would do the relays too.

Cleaning contacts is a little different.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks