• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

rustystud

Sorry Rusty if I offended you in any way. I just couldn't resist my one liner. I meant it to be funny like the above post #4693 that the pinched line helped keep the brake shoes from wearing out. I knew fully what you meant and just expected everyone to know it was all in fun.

The thing is, around here you never know when someone is just joking or serious ! Or just having fun or being an a$$. That's why I use the emoticons ;) .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree it's pretty solid but I don't think it could handle 130 mph wind but that's what they advertise on their brochure.
They usually hold up pretty good until all the things that aren't bolted down start pelting it. As they weaken the structure it becomes vulnerable. During hurricane Francis, there were a bunch that got destroyed and a few that looked new

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Defiantly have to meet up with you one day and take a drive up that way. Im wanting to do a ocean shores trip for lunch.
That would be great, however where I was scouting was about three hours to Ocean Shores.

We also found a really great spot for camping next summer with the roof-top tent. The road in is already so overgrown I doubt many will drive up there. The scotchbroom was taking over on both sides and high enough in the middle that the M1009's underbelly got a good scrubbing.

rustystud

That would be great, however where I was scouting was about three hours to Ocean Shores.

We also found a really great spot for camping next summer with the roof-top tent. The road in is already so overgrown I doubt many will drive up there. The scotchbroom was taking over on both sides and high enough in the middle that the M1009's underbelly got a good scrubbing.

I haven't been over to Ocean Shores for years now. I was over there on the Olympic National Park this last summer with the family and my M1031 (or whatever the pickup version is, I always forget) . Maybe we can get some local members to take a trip to Ocean Shores for a weekend.

ralbelt

One side of the fuel door hinge broke off, loosened up the fill pipe which allowed it to slide over to remove the door. Heated up the hinge pin clamp to open it up to remove the pin , fabricated another small part and welded it in. blasted, primed and paint and reassembled.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't been over to Ocean Shores for years now. I was over there on the Olympic National Park this last summer with the family and my M1031 (or whatever the pickup version is, I always forget) . Maybe we can get some local members to take a trip to Ocean Shores for a weekend.
lol you won't get me three hours down the road in my truck. We'd have to do it somewhere closer.

cucvrus

I changed all 8 13 G glow plug's on Voodoo M1009. The right rear glow plug was swelled and required a 1/2 hour of gospel music to get it out. They were in the unit for 9 years. Not bad at all. Back in the fight. I had a new guy that never waited for the light to go out. IMHO that is the cause. But at 9 years of plowing and constant off road use I have no qualms. Other then running this truck to the GM dealer for service and other work it sees no highway use.

PJL

I changed all 8 13 G glow plug's on Voodoo M1009. The right rear glow plug was swelled and required a 1/2 hour of gospel music to get it out. They were in the unit for 9 years. Not bad at all. Back in the fight. I had a new guy that never waited for the light to go out. IMHO that is the cause. But at 9 years of plowing and constant off road use I have no qualms. Other then running this truck to the GM dealer for service and other work it sees no highway use.

I have never tried gospel music. Sounds like a better plan than a stream of swear words.

cucvrus

I broke the plug off and removed the injector. Takes longer than a few gospel songs though

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
If I don't want to do I don't do it. If I start I finish. Lately I have been more instructional and supervisory then I used to. But most times I do the task. I have someone doing some sanding and cleaning of parts for me at this very moment. I will see how that works out about 4 today. Breaking them off is always a great option.

rustystud

I always listen to Gospel music when I wrench. It helps keep me calmer when that last bolt holding the "whatever" won't come off and there is no physical way to actually reach it since it is behind something and your just using your hands to "feel" it. The Cummins M11 has the stupid fuel pump mounted this way. You have to twist your hand into a pretzel to get on the bolt and pray that the last guy who replaced it didn't use Loctite !

Another Ahab

I always listen to Gospel music when I wrench. It helps keep me calmer when that last bolt holding the "whatever" won't come off and there is no physical way to actually reach it since it is behind something and your just using your hands to "feel" it. The Cummins M11 has the stupid fuel pump mounted this way. You have to twist your hand into a pretzel to get on the bolt and pray that the last guy who replaced it didn't use Loctite !
You kind of wish sometimes that the engineers who designed stuff had to actually service it all once (in the dark while it's raining) before letting their designs go to production. :roll::patracy:

cucvrus

Today I better find an XM channel for the gospel music. I went out at 0500 dark and started the Voodoo M1009 and when I went up the road the headlamps went off. I am off road and have parking lamps but no headlamps. And I continue to go and next thing I know a warm feeling comes over my feet and I smell the sweet sweet smell of antifreeze. I look down and the antifreeze is leaking out the center floor vent and the floor is being covered with it. I think the old heater core did not like all that work back there when trying to get that swelled right rear glow plug out. No problem. It is a warranted heater core and easy to fix. The headlamp dimer switch seems to be the issue with the headlamps. Seems to click very rough and sometimes not at all. Anyone know the channel for XM that will calm the savage beast? Kidding no problem. Maybe next week. Maybe not. Happy Holidays.

Another Ahab

Today I better find an XM channel for the gospel music. I went out at 0500 dark and started the Voodoo M1009 and when I went up the road the headlamps went off. And I continue to go and next thing I know a warm feeling comes over my feet and I smell the sweet sweet smell of antifreeze. I look down and the antifreeze is leaking out the center floor vent and the floor is being covered with it.
Sounds like one of those "fine Navy mornings" one of our old chiefs used to always crow about. :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks