• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Loco_Hosa

View attachment 654985

I think at $100. I would take my chances with a bought locker. Welding does not seem like a good option for long life and longevity even off road. I can see many issues with that method. Maybe demo derby but that's as far as I would trust it. I like things done right first time. Or not done at all. Happy Holidays. My M1009 off roads just fine. I am sure a few members can attest to that.
It's a 10 bolt carrier, really nothing special about it... Even if it fails then the parts are easily replaced.

Your photo looks like a spool, which really isn't better or worse than welded. [based on my limited experience and knowledge]

Lastly, I'm planning an axle swap on this truck anyway. This is a great temp solution. I might decide to weld the next front axle also, depends.

I'm less of a fan of welded rears because they wear tires so quickly. A real locker [not to be confused with a spool] is obviously a much better solution. =D

Loco_Hosa

I have an eaton e locker and yes any front locker makes the truck awesome.

I thought all of the parts in the diff were heat treated and thus not good to weld on but I don't know it all.

please reply to this thread when it fails, I will hold out on any judgement till then.

keep an eye on your hubs, I have a problem with the left one locking on its own. I pulled it apart and checked, can't find anything wrong and there is not a bunch of grease build up so no reason but it keeps happening (warn's are in my future). With one hub locked, your front drive shaft is going to spin, thus you might have premature wear and MPG loss. If it is just a trail rig and not DD then probably nothing to worry about.

Thanks
Rich
Man I'm jelous, I'd love to get an E locker or air locker. Not having to jump out and unlock/relock hubs would be sweet! I can't justify it on something less than a Dana 60 for a full width.

The gears and carrier are not the best thing to weld on, but in my off-roading experience I've never managed to break a front end. This might lead to the first time, which will be really interesting!

That hub problem is interesting, I've never heard of that. I use the 4wd each time I go up and down the driveway, so I'll likely notice if I have a hub that gets locked unintentionally.

I'll let you guys know when/if it breaks and share the carnage. Like I've said, I've got a 14 bolt and a dana 44 for the truck, just have not gotten the 8 lug wheels and tires I want for the truck.

3jumpjeep

I can't add anything here. My 1028A2 has a Detroit Locker in the Dana 70 rear and a TruTrac in the Dana 60 front so no welding for me! I have an '03 Jeep Rubicon with selectable lockers and love how that works off-road. If all goes well I hope to find a good 1009 next year. Are these CUCVs known to be habit forming?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rustystud

It's a 10 bolt carrier, really nothing special about it... Even if it fails then the parts are easily replaced.

Your photo looks like a spool, which really isn't better or worse than welded. [based on my limited experience and knowledge]

Lastly, I'm planning an axle swap on this truck anyway. This is a great temp solution. I might decide to weld the next front axle also, depends.

I'm less of a fan of welded rears because they wear tires so quickly. A real locker [not to be confused with a spool] is obviously a much better solution. =D
The problem with welding the gears is the weld itself is not strong enough since you will not get as good a bond as you would with mild steel. Since the gears are an "alloy" the penetration is not that good. I know as I have welded gears before.
That's why there are "spools" out there being sold. If everyone could get great results from welding then there would not be this big market for spools. Running a front spool can be fun in the sand, mud or snow but nothing else. Running in the rocks or hard dirt will just get you broken parts.

Loco_Hosa

The problem with welding the gears is the weld itself is not strong enough since you will not get as good a bond as you would with mild steel. Since the gears are an "alloy" the penetration is not that good. I know as I have welded gears before.
That's why there are "spools" out there being sold. If everyone could get great results from welding then there would not be this big market for spools. Running a front spool can be fun in the sand, mud or snow but nothing else. Running in the rocks or hard dirt will just get you broken parts.
In the rock and hard dirt you just lock the short side hub and it's still better than stock. I like knowing that my right front will be receiving power regardless of traction or not.

Stock you always know that power will go to the wheel that has lost traction.

I've broken a ton of parts, but never a front end part. Once I break something in a front end I'll change my tune. I wasn't going to buy a spool for an axle I'm replacing soon.

Loco_Hosa

I can't add anything here. My 1028A2 has a Detroit Locker in the Dana 70 rear and a TruTrac in the Dana 60 front so no welding for me! I have an '03 Jeep Rubicon with selectable lockers and love how that works off-road. If all goes well I hope to find a good 1009 next year. Are these CUCVs known to be habit forming?

With the Trutrack front do you still find yourself having to run one hub locked and one unlocked to keep it from ”pushing” in 4wd?

I did some research on the Trutrack, looks like a really sweet unit.

Edit: I'm off course talking about in dirt and moderate traction conditions.

Last edited:

3jumpjeep

With the Trutrack front do you still find yourself having to run one hub locked and one unlocked to keep it from ”pushing” in 4wd?

I did some research on the Trutrack, looks like a really sweet unit.
I honestly haven't had that problem, but mostly I don't push this truck through low traction situations. More often than not the dual rears get me through without fwd.

3jumpjeep

Other than a selectable locker like in my Jeep, I would choose the TruTrac. I have had them on a Forestry truck and a construction company truck in the past with good results.

cucvrus

I had the transfer case rebuilt on the Big Red M1008 plow truck. It was leaking and I was tired of the oil spots on the garage floor. After the abuse and hard use last winter I was happy to get it fixed and freshened up. Total cost was $365. It is as good as new now. Let it snow. I am ready for it. This is the second time I had the transfer case rebuilt. I had it done in 2010. Time weathers most vehicles. CUCV"s weather time. Happy Holidays.

riggermedic

Road trip

Took A trip to Vegas in my 1009 85+ most of the way except of course the hills total of a 5 Hour Drive from Phoenix. Took a four-day rifle class with my two nephews and ran into fellow steel soldier" treadlight "at a class at front sight in Pahrump Nevada. Drove back to Phoenix same speed and she loved it. I was really surprised and impressed with how well it drove that fast I never topped 3100 RPM but I don't know how accurate my speedometer is. Tachometer is a tiny tach. Average miles per gallon was 15 for the trip I was very surprised at that

rustystud

I've broken a ton of parts, but never a front end part. Once I break something in a front end I'll change my tune. I wasn't going to buy a spool for an axle I'm replacing soon.[/QUOTE]

I can respect that kind of decision. Run her till she breaks !

cucvrus

Took A trip to Vegas in my 1009 85+ most of the way except of course the hills total of a 5 Hour Drive from Phoenix. Took a four-day rifle class with my two nephews and ran into fellow steel soldier" treadlight "at a class at front sight in Pahrump Nevada. Drove back to Phoenix same speed and she loved it. I was really surprised and impressed with how well it drove that fast I never topped 3100 RPM but I don't know how accurate my speedometer is. Tachometer is a tiny tach. Average miles per gallon was 15 for the trip I was very surprised at that
They seem to run forever and the speed never seems to hurt them. I feel that maintenance is the key. It is not how hard you run it. It is how well you maintain it. I use many things to the full potential. Yesterday I hauled a 24ft truck body to the scrap yard. I pulled it with my M1009 and my car trailer. The trailer is a dual axle 10K with a beaver tail and ramps. It has electric brakes and 6 lug wheels. I knew the load was heavy. But was surprised to find that the body weighed 8,200 lbs. It was all secondary road travel and some suburb city travel. I was just surprised that the body weighed that much. It had a tread plate steel floor and steel 4 ft. up the walls and across the front. It was an aluminum skinned body. they bought it as unprepared steel/shear. I was happy to get rid of it. It was to high to haul on the roll back. M1009 got her done. Today I attached he 12 ft utility trailer for a load of oak 8 X 8 wood blocks. you know the kind I had a Rausch Creek that everyone took home and never burnt. Happy Holidays. Have a great Thanks giving and try and get something done and enjoy your family and friends.

gottaluvit

You put the 4WD away for the winter? I am still getting mine ready for winter snow patrol. Added a 2004 HD2500 to the fleet as well.
Been getting these ready for Winter. All lubed and repairs made.

20161124_075241.jpg

Point "B" may be calling, and I will be there. Have chains for 5-ton this year. Slipped up on getting them for 37" HMMWV tires for the CUCV. While focusing so much on getting ready, I failed to get these put away for the Winter. Couldn't drive the car to it's Winter "nest" because the state felt they had to salt the roads already when we got 1/2" of snow a week ago. Now it's raining and cleaning the roads so I can finish that task on the next sunny day.

20161124_075221.jpg
20161124_075301.jpg

Another Ahab

While focusing so much on getting ready, I failed to get these put away for the Winter. Couldn't drive the car to it's Winter "nest" because the state felt they had to salt the roads already when we got 1/2" of snow a week ago. Now it's raining and cleaning the roads so I can finish that task on the next sunny day.
Is that normal for your part of Ohio?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks