• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought a digital VM to mount/test, replacing the analog gauge.. Handles up to 120V, and was only a couple bucks.... Will be buying a couple more so I will have a VM for Batt/Gen 1, Batt/Gen2, and 24V 1+2, so I'll know the charging status of each battery/alt. Haven't perm mounted yet, but testing well....

http://a.co/52tb1dK

Most of the other VMs I saw were either too large, or stopped @30V, which leaves no room for margin if an alternator is overcharging/overvolt....
Have you considered a single VM with a rotary select switch?

RobM36A2

I drove around, to blow out the carbon built op in the parade.
Did notice rough and late gearshifts.. After coming home checked the oil and needed to add about 1 pint of ATF...
After refilling I did not test again, as I had other things to do.. Might check later the coming week if the shifting has improved.

That is the weird thing with my cars, when they need fluids, they act funny instead of breaking down..
Guess my talking to them helps... :usafss:

Another Ahab

Bought a digital VM to mount/test, replacing the analog gauge.. Handles up to 120V, and was only a couple bucks.... Will be buying a couple more so I will have a VM for Batt/Gen 1, Batt/Gen2, and 24V 1+2, so I'll know the charging status of each battery/alt. Haven't perm mounted yet, but testing well....
That was a great find. [thumbzup]

rsh4364

Ordered led bulbs for front and rear turn signals, side markers and reverse lights. Also ordered grote 44891 flasher relay to hopefully deal with hyper flash of turn signals.

computer54

I have the same problem in my 93 Chevy that I got in Nov. 15 from the Army, but no leds because I had a small problem and it was a grand that messed it up. and I only have leds for the backup lights now.

Beandip

got some rock crawling goodies in. detroit locker for the front, and to make it easier, a carrier bearing puller. also a front/rear 3/8" diff cover from ruffstuff.
floor jack can only lift it off the tires 1" lol.
Untitled by Jonathan Rios, on Flickr

best investment ever.

20 seconds with the impact and it was removed. no damage to the bearing or shims.

U joints were quite seized on both sides. mostly dry on the edge of turning into powder.

new non greasable spicers on the way.

Beandip

got some rock crawling goodies in. detroit locker for the front, and to make it easier, a carrier bearing puller. also a front/rear 3/8" diff cover from ruffstuff.
floor jack can only lift it off the tires 1" lol.

best investment ever.

20 seconds with the impact and it was removed. no damage to the bearing or shims.

U joints were quite seized on both sides. mostly dry on the edge of turning into powder.

new non greasable spicers on the way.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ordered led bulbs for front and rear turn signals, side markers and reverse lights. Also ordered grote 44891 flasher relay to hopefully deal with hyper flash of turn signals.
I hope the flasher works out for you. I couldn't get my turn signals to work at all when I installed my led bulbs. Didn't change the flasher because our local Napa says it wont work for my application.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope the flasher works out for you. I couldn't get my turn signals to work at all when I installed my led bulbs. Didn't change the flasher because our local Napa says it wont work for my application.

Any round 2 pin electronic flasher will work. Pick them up at auto parts stores for 12$ish...

EL12 is the PN I have, and it says it supports 1-18 lamps, or something to that effect...

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the advise. I tried the led light conversion back in 2011 before they were popular. Maybe Napa wasn't offering the electronic flashers back then.

richingalveston

I changed all my marker lights to led except the two front ones under the headlights. leaving a couple standard bulbs in the system allows the stock flasher to work. yes the flasher is easy to change and cheap. my next round of working on the lights I plan to upgrade the flasher and the last two bulbs.

Drock

installed new upper and lower trans mounts today. FYI the new lower ones didn't have the steel plate molded into them, so I had to cut them out of the old mounts & install them on the new ones.

rsh4364

Rained out today, got bored and installed some of the led lights in rear of the 1009. 2057rzevoled and 194rzevo led, noticeable difference especially with turns and brake lighting, can't wait to get the rest of the bulbs and new flasher. I am also going to repaint the taillight buckets with krylon chrome paint to increase reflection.I also have a pair of flex a lite 39624 electric fans and a Maradyne MFA103 fan harness controller heading my way.

Last edited:

rsh4364

I drove around, to blow out the carbon built op in the parade.
Did notice rough and late gearshifts.. After coming home checked the oil and needed to add about 1 pint of ATF...
After refilling I did not test again, as I had other things to do.. Might check later the coming week if the shifting has improved.

That is the weird thing with my cars, when they need fluids, they act funny instead of breaking down..
Guess my talking to them helps... :usafss:
It does help to talk to them. But more importantly is to listen to them, I experienced a slight clunk when starting my 1009 yesterday, and based on my experience it meant starter support bracket loosened up, drove it home crawled under it and fixed the problem.I normally check every oil change but forgot last time. I have yet to meet a vehicle with a computer that I can talk to or understand.

Last edited:

peglegwillie

Hey sweetwater south Knox co here piratewillie still a work in progress but runs great 86' M1009. Rubber floors mostly gone been scraping and power drill rust removing surface rust on front floors. Sprayed black rustoleum going to add liquid rubber on entire floor with a small roller. Live between john Sevier n chapman hwy, used to trail ride in Timex at Tellico a lot !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks