• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

RobM36A2

The card controller works fine. If yours is not, get a new one. If you insist on breaking a good system, there's a sticky on exactly how to do it.
Found the sticky.
Funny thing is, the initial glow, before starting is good, the afterglow is causing trouble.
The easiest fix is plug it in to glow, pull out, start and drive.
Also, getting a new card is easier said than done here, hard to get. I did ask around, but most people advise to convert to manual glow.
I do like the OEM way, so the manual glow, or plug, pull, start method are temporary.

FrankenCub

Scraped the cardboard headliner (or whatever it's made of) with a wire brush to remove all the old glue and foam. Sprayed some good 3m glue and layed it out.
That can be wicked messy work lol. I used to do a lot of headliners at a local upholstery shop, replaced with new headliner material and done some in different canvases for custom looks.

On topic, I finally ordered 4 new rings for my mistress tonight, oops, I mean tires for my M1008.
Claw2.jpg
They should serve me well.

FrankenCub

I think she will love them !
I do believe you are right! All women are happiest when showered with gifts lol. She seriously needed new tires. The rears are wore out, I don't think it's ever had a tire rotation before I got it. The fronts were pretty choppy from a loose tie rod and wheel bearings on both sides. All new parts so now getting much needed tires. I spend a lot of time off road getting firewood and I'm too old for the getting stuck game.

RobM36A2

Finally did a testdrive. Shifting issue is almost completely gone, guess the silicone sealant did its job.

The glowcard issue is also resolved, cause of problems were the contacts.
Did notice some resistors on the card are missing, but it still functions just great. Should I worry about those resistors?
I can ask my sisters boyfriend to solder new ones on if needed.

Also went on a search for 2 new rear tires. For some reason 33x12.5R16.5 tires are hard to find or very expensive overhere (+/- €250 a piece)..
Work in progress, got some people working on it.

rsh4364

Replaced all exterior lights with sylvania zevo leds,wasn't overly impressed until I repainted taillight buckets with krylon chrome paint, now I am impressed.next is dashboard bulbs. I am hooked on leds.

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

Wont the leds give problems with the dimmer?
Some of the newer leds are dimmable, and some newer leds will also work with older flasher units to eliminate the fast blink.

16.5" tires are hard to find anywhere unless you get surplus hmmwv tires(which are bigger at 36/37"), but I've heard supplies of those are diminishing as well.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ordered new clearance marker lenses for my M1031...

All of them had a hole drilled through the middle....making them worthless.... direct from Trucklite..or Grote. Can't remember..... yes, they were still sealed in their package...

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was warm enough and dry enough to swap the radiator on the '09 after church today. It went pretty smoothly other than it never seemed to be in the right place- too far right then too far left....

I still need to connect the oil cooler lines. When I disconnected them one of them had a packing of some sort, but I didn't get any with the radiator. I got these two ferrules but I don't think they're used in this application.

The inside looked far worse than I thought it would. I never had any overheating issues. I've only used pre-diluted coolant, so it may have been that way from the PO.

EDIT to add: I did not take the fan off. I rotated the shroud a quarter turn and pushed it back out of the way. I had plenty of room to get the old rad out and the new one in.

Is there o-rings or packing on the oil cooler lines? The -20 wasn't very helpful.

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

The brass/copper adapters are not needed. And yes the O-Rings are on the aluminum oil cooler lines. GM has discontinued the O-rings. I have been using standard O-rings from a hardware store or auto parts store. That radiator is toasted. May I suggest you replace the radiator support mounts. They make urethane replacements that will last forever. Looks good. Have a great day.

Csm Davis

The brass/copper adapters are not needed. And yes the O-Rings are on the aluminum oil cooler lines. GM has discontinued the O-rings. I have been using standard O-rings from a hardware store or auto parts store. That radiator is toasted. May I suggest you replace the radiator support mounts. They make urethane replacements that will last forever. Looks good. Have a great day.
Part number and or manufacture of mounts?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GM has discontinued the O-rings. I have been using standard O-rings from a hardware store or auto parts store.
Thanks!

Can you give me some details about the O-rings? Where do they go- on the line or just stuffed down in the hole? Is there a ring groove?

cucvrus

Thanks!

Can you give me some details about the O-rings? Where do they go- on the line or just stuffed down in the hole? Is there a ring groove?
The O rings go on each of the aluminum lines were the connect to the radiator. I have been fortunate enough that they stay on the lines and I just reinstall them. A few radiators I bought new ones came along with the radiator. Also a few radiators I needed to sand/grind down the aluminum tube that went into the radiator. The plunge depth was different. Not always but sometimes. You can feel it if it does not thread at all or deep enough when installing the engine oil cooler lines. Do not over tighten. It will act like a puller and strip the threads right out of the radiator. Good Luck.

Ando427

This was the first winter with my m1009 and with all the leaking into the cab from the fender vents and rear shell, I just knew I was going to have some floor rot under the rubber mat. I pulled it up, and used an angle grinder to remove the coating from the floor. I was pleasantly surprised to find only a couple holes, the biggest of which was about the size of a silver dollar. I patched up the holes, applied a coat of truck bed liner, laid down some carpet pad and finished her all off with this sweet carpeting that I found on Craigslist!Carpet.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks