• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Replaced both door strikers today, was a big improvement in closing both doors.....and will replace door hinge pins next.

Also replaced passenger mirror today......plastic mounting gasket under the original mirror had just about disintegrated and so mirror was vibrating quite a bit.

door striker.jpgpassenger mirrow.jpg

3jumpjeep

I changed out my front stabilizer bar bushings with some Moog ones I got off of Rockauto.
View attachment 677121
Getting them off was pretty straightforward except for the top bolt on the passenger side. I ended up using a wobble joint and a wobble one inch extension on the socket so it would fit behind the brake lines.

The future little helper put the grease on the inside of the new bushings and smeared it around.
View attachment 677122View attachment 677123

I had to take a file to the new brackets that came with it because they very edge of the screw threads were catching when I put it on. A few swipes on each side and it was fine. Everything looks good and bolts up nice.
View attachment 677124View attachment 677125

When I was under there, I saw the long steering arm bent. :-x The previous owner had it aligned with the bent bar. It drives good and true, so I guess I'll just leave it for now. Money doesn't grow on trees.
View attachment 677128
Your little help is awesome. My daughter new almost every tool in the box before she was four. Sockets and wrenches is how she learned about fractions.
Memories be made.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cucvrus

Replaced both door strikers today, was a big improvement in closing both doors.....and will replace door hinge pins next.

Also replaced passenger mirror today......plastic mounting gasket under the original mirror had just about disintegrated and so mirror was vibrating quite a bit.

View attachment 677196View attachment 677198
As a rule the hinge pins are fine. It is the bronze bushings that go bad. I know I used to buy them in a pack of 10 from GM. They are not bad to replace. If the hinge itself has excessive wear it will require replacement also. I have found the hinges to be in abundance. As far as the shaky vibrating mirror. I would be willing to bet the brace/reinforcement is loose or missing. Also the riv-nuts are not the best at this date. They are nothing more then tin when new. But the brace is most important to prevent the vibration and provide strength. Also check the long screw under the wing vent that helps retain strength in the door area by pulling the inner and out panel together and tight. I hope that helps. Have a great day.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got around to mounting my MRAP seats in the M1008

I now have a complete bench seat for sale with a new lower cover included but not installed. This includes the plastic covers etc. PM me if interested

IMG_2312.jpg
IMG_2317.JPG
IMG_2311.jpg
IMG_2324.JPG

IMG_2340.JPG
IMG_2345.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cucvrus

Very nice clean install. Look like they belong there. Also nice bench seat. Would make someone a nice bench seat for the front of an M1009. I know a guy that was looking to do that. Perfect match color and all. Very nice.

Wow, those MRAP seats are awesome......I'll soon recover my original bench bottom, and then need to think about an upgrade!

Finally got around to mounting my MRAP seats in the M1008

I now have a complete bench seat for sale with a new lower cover included but not installed. This includes the plastic covers etc. PM me if interested

View attachment 677330
View attachment 677331
View attachment 677332
View attachment 677333

View attachment 677334
View attachment 677335

rustystud

As a rule the hinge pins are fine. It is the bronze bushings that go bad. I know I used to buy them in a pack of 10 from GM. They are not bad to replace. If the hinge itself has excessive wear it will require replacement also. I have found the hinges to be in abundance. As far as the shaky vibrating mirror. I would be willing to bet the brace/reinforcement is loose or missing. Also the riv-nuts are not the best at this date. They are nothing more then tin when new. But the brace is most important to prevent the vibration and provide strength. Also check the long screw under the wing vent that helps retain strength in the door area by pulling the inner and out panel together and tight. I hope that helps. Have a great day.
Yeah, the mirror riv-nuts from GM are garbage. I replaced mine with some quality aluminum ones and it totally stopped my mirrors from vibrating.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turned down yet another offer from someone to buy my truck while I was at gas station.

If I had a dollar everytime someone wanted to buy my truck......I could buy another truck.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got all the new door seals in on the cab. This is a no brainer on all these trucks.

IMG_2513.JPG
IMG_2515.jpg
IMG_2516.jpg
IMG_2516.jpg
IMG_2520.jpg
IMG_2521.jpg

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1008 Window and Door Seal Kit

AM-Autoparts is a good supplier of different items. I have bought a lot of base components for the CUCV's from them and they are reliable, quality parts and stand behind the products.

This is the seal kit. It is cheaper direct then on E-Bay

https://www.am-autoparts.com/search.html?q=1awss00144

The m1009 seal kit they have is awesome it will give you every seal even the vent windows and rear top seals. If somebody calls them post the part number as I did that a long time ago on my 1009. It is a day project on the 1009. The 1008 takes about 2 hours

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's kind of what I meant but I didn't say so clearly.

Have you got a threshold figure in mind (that says "ridiculous"), so if someone offers it you make the deal right then-and-there?

Anything less, keep walking.

Good, solid, unmolested CUCVs are getting harder to find everyday.
Took me years to find the two really nice ones I have in long term storage.

So yes, it would take at least 12k for me to part with my daily driver M1008A1

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks