• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

sneekyeye

I took about five hours Saturday and took apart the passenger door to replace the door glass window seals and the vent window glass seals. The door skin at the side mirror mount was bent inward making the bolt end hit the window glass bottom metal channel. I bent that back outward and suddenly i can roll the window up all the way. Also sanded the rust off of the metal part where the armrest mounts behind the door panel and painted it. Sanded and repainted a variety of random pieces while i was in there.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took about five hours Saturday and took apart the passenger door to replace the door glass window seals and the vent window glass seals. The door skin at the side mirror mount was bent inward making the bolt end hit the window glass bottom metal channel. I bent that back outward and suddenly i can roll the window up all the way. Also sanded the rust off of the metal part where the armrest mounts behind the door panel and painted it. Sanded and repainted a variety of random pieces while i was in there.
I would love somebody to document the vent seal installation. That one scares me and I have seals but did not do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cucvrus

DSCF2782.jpgDSCF2780.jpgDSCF2792.jpgUsed my Crown of Thorns M1009 to haul a stump grinder and cut the stump from a huge Maple tree I cut down on April 2, 2017. Goal met. From tree to ground in less then 30 days. And still had time to , mow grass, ride motorcycle, go fishing and go off roading with the RC misfits. Now I must regain my focus and get my self in gear for reassembly of the Easter find M1008. But as always something else needs my attention already. Mower deck needs spindle bearings. Have a great day. It is a simple task.

Last edited:

sneekyeye

I would love somebody to document the vent seal installation. That one scares me and I have seals but did not do

Same alike!
When I do my driver side I'll take pics. Drilling the right rivets out so there is room to put the new rivets in was probably the biggest pain aside from setting the new rivets. I taped a piece of cardboard over the glass as I was whacking the rivets in case I hit the glass.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anybody mounted rear facing work lights to the cab on a m1009? Looking for pictures and ideas?

Pointers on sealing the mounting holes other than silicon and or orings.

CUCVLOVER

Has anybody mounted rear facing work lights to the cab on a m1009? Looking for pictures and ideas?

Pointers on sealing the mounting holes other than silicon and or orings.

The back part of the top is fiberglass correct? So thats gonna make it tough because no where to weld a bracket or use a magnet. You would probably be best off mounting some to the bumper then have an extra set on some poles you can plug in back there somewhere that you can hook on the bumper. Or If you used a antenna bracket on each side in the rear that might work.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The back part of the top is fiberglass correct? So thats gonna make it tough because no where to weld a bracket or use a magnet. You would probably be best off mounting some to the bumper then have an extra set on some poles you can plug in back there somewhere that you can hook on the bumper. Or If you used a antenna bracket on each side in the rear that might work.
Sorry my phone messes up things, this is for the m1008. I was looking at tonight and thinking of mounting on the top of the bed an led light bar. Then I like the idea of rear bumper mounts below

IMG_2576.JPG

Would mount on front of the bed up top small leds on each side or a small 12" bar?

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 military 24 volt spot lights that are magnetic. Also some 24 volt backup lights. I think I will tap if the 24 volt bus with a relay and hook up an aviation type plug in the back for the spots and continue on for additional backup lights

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Jeep Grand Cherokee has terrible visibility out the back due to the height of the small rear window, and it's scary sometimes trying to back at night because the reverse lights are almost useless.

My solution to the light was to incorporate two LED light bars into a receiver step, and plug them into the trailer plug. I used a relay although the lights draw about the same power as a couple incandescent bulbs, but if in the future I decide to go with more powerful lights the relay is already there. The lights are powered through the trailer plug's 12v power lead and the relay is trigger by the plug's reverse light lead. This means they come on when I shift into R and go out when I move it from R. It's completely self contained so it can move to any vehicle with a receiver and a 7-pin plug.

Attachments

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Jeep Grand Cherokee has terrible visibility out the back due to the height of the small rear window, and it's scary sometimes trying to back at night because the reverse lights are almost useless.

My solution to the light was to incorporate two LED light bars into a receiver step, and plug them into the trailer plug. I used a relay although the lights draw about the same power as a couple incandescent bulbs, but if in the future I decide to go with more powerful lights the relay is already there. The lights are powered through the trailer plug's 12v power lead and the relay is trigger by the plug's reverse light lead. This means they come on when I shift into R and go out when I move it from R. It's completely self contained so it can move to any vehicle with a receiver and a 7-pin plug.
Very cool idea!! What step up did you use?

Thank you for sharing!

Ps the more I think about this the more brilliant the idea is!!

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

Sorry my phone messes up things, this is for the m1008. I was looking at tonight and thinking of mounting on the top of the bed an led light bar. Then I like the idea of rear bumper mounts below

View attachment 678617

Would mount on front of the bed up top small leds on each side or a small 12" bar?

I would run to small pods. I have 2 pods on the top the headache rack on my flatbed which is about even with my cab roof. One on each side they are from tractor supply and have 5 bulbs per unit. They are amazing at night. Shine like the sun and almost no current draw. If you put a bar in the middle it can easily blocked by cargo or trailer then with 2 lights if one dies you still have another

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks