• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

joeyaguirre21

What's the Story about the engine.......new one, just painted or overhauled and painted?
I'm just Curious
Not an overhaul or not new. 4 out of 6 freeze plugs were leaking so decided to pull whole motor out to do them, then replaced valve cover and oil pan gaskets and then decided to paint it to not look as bad and mean while out I painted the engine compartment as well

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I broke my side vent window on drivers side. Decided it was time to tackle putting a vent seal in.

It is an 2-4 hour project dependent on how much refurbish work you do.

IMG_2911.JPG

I thought I had more pictures but I guess not

The whole thing has to come out and then even the vent window and then put in new rivet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cucvrus

I was just about to jump in the shower when the phone rang. I like to ignore the phone but then the Wife's phone rang and the house phone. What was amidst? It seems Jr had decided to try out his new tires on Mad Cow Disease. He failed miserably on the first time out. He likes to go in the lowest part of the pasture. Fun Fun. DSCF2949.jpgIt had just started to rain and I fired up the 1987 M1028 that has been here for the past 2 years. I have it as a loaner for others. Never did sell it. DSCF2950.jpgLook. What is that? Mad Cow Disease M1028A1 grazing in the tall grass. No Mad Cow is stuck unable to move. Well the stock M1028 to the rescue. All you needDSCF2951.jpgDSCF2952.jpg is a Bubba Rope and you can pull just about anything out of the mud and snow. DSCF2953.jpgDSCF2955.jpg1 quick gentle tug and we were both bad home is a jiffy. I remember a friend of mine borrowed the truck last winter and complained that the heater did not work. I have not driven it on the road for a while but today it was raining and cool. I looked to see where the air was coming from. DSCF2954.jpgThat explains the no heat and the cold air coming in. Wow that will be hard to fix. NOT.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Not my CUCV, but one that was dropped off last night. It wouldn't start for the owner after sitting over the winter. The owner installed new glowplugs and then the magic spray:shock: was used to try to start it. Apparently the air cleaner lid (not bolted down) blew off the engine.

I tested the plugs which were confirmed bad and then removed them. Note the bottom 6, which are split open.
IMG_0447.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts? :grin: I disabled the glowplugs before we removed them and gave it a whiff of ether, it will sputter just barely. I wasn't there for the initial ether bombing, but my wild guess is it's time for a little engine work (replacement).
...and that's why using starter fluid before making sure the glowplugs are disabled isn't a good choice.

computer54

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Ireplaced my glow-plugs two mouths back and I got them from amazon Igot the first ones from them but for year 88 and I needed them for a93 year. But fount out is that I have a modern 6.2 and not a military6.2[/FONT]

cucvrus

Not my CUCV, but one that was dropped off last night. It wouldn't start for the owner after sitting over the winter. The owner installed new glowplugs and then the magic spray:shock: was used to try to start it. Apparently the air cleaner lid (not bolted down) blew off the engine.

I tested the plugs which were confirmed bad and then removed them. Note the bottom 6, which are split open.
View attachment 683516

Anyone have any thoughts? :grin: I disabled the glowplugs before we removed them and gave it a whiff of ether, it will sputter just barely. I wasn't there for the initial ether bombing, but my wild guess is it's time for a little engine work (replacement).
...and that's why using starter fluid before making sure the glowplugs are disabled isn't a good choice.
My experience is that there must be fuel present for the engine to continue running. The engine will not run on either. It will run wild when fuel is present. But it will not start and continue on either. I say it has a fuel issue. A small whiff of either should be all it takes to get it started. many guys spray either like spray paint. No good. Either will not compress that is why it binds so hard and then it runs wild when it does ignite.

alpine44

View attachment 683516

Crank it without ether. If you are not getting white smoke or at least strong diesel smell out of the exhaust, you have a problem with fuel delivery.

cucvrus

Crank it without ether. If you are not getting white smoke or at least strong diesel smell out of the exhaust, you have a problem with fuel delivery.
I agree. The glow plugs look like they were new and they were over heated from the cranking and no start fuel issue. I see the glow plugs swelling and explode if you bench test them and let them get to hot. The CUCV even needs glow plugs in 90 degree weather for a cold start.

Chaski

Got my spare transfer case back together (finally got the right bushing). Got a little bit done on the bracket for my power steering filter. Going to put a Peterson 100 micron filter on it to filter out any big chunks and act as a bit of a cooler.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Let me guess, Guilmette's black M1008?

I was wondering when they would try to move that thing again, it looked so sad all that time...
Nope, this one is a blazer that has been on the road quite a bit.
From what I'm told it's usually parked over the winter but declined to fire up this spring. I'm not sure the reason as I wasn't involved until today and only provided advice over the phone regarding the glowplug system. Fuel delivery problem or not, it should still run on ether for a second or two and it doesn't (sputter probably wasn't the best word to use above). Engine cranking speed is normal and even better when hooked to a running blazer with the slave cable. We pulled the oil pan this evening and there was a good amount of metal, at least one piece about the size of a pencil eraser across. I'll have to take a closer look at it tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks