• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

FrankenCub

Sounds like the sun gear? Broke on the input- I have a transfer like that- it's hard to turn in any gear(4h, 4l n, 2)

When you look at used, make sure the input can spin the outputs with resistance on the outputs(hold them as tight as you can) not an exact science, but it can point to other issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I talked to the guy this morning and he has a couple that need to go so gonna pick out the best. He used to have the square body disease by the sounds of it lol. He sold off most everything because he's moving and said he'd make a heck of a deal on anything else I might need, if he has it. So I'm going to look for Dana 60 parts too. Wanted to get a start on it today but he's not going to be home so will pick it up tomorrow morning.

Whatever it ends up being a good autopsy of the part would be interesting. Depending on the mood an autopsy via forklift, excavator or front end loader might help you feel better. I'm curious to see what you find once you pull the driveshafts and get to checking and removing parts.
I will pull it apart after it's all swapped over. I'm also sure something in the planetaries has let go. Definitely the bearings were seizing, I'm sure it's a lack of lubrication issue that I'm placing all the blame on me. I never checked the levels before the 250 mile drive. That was dumb. Oh well, live and learn. No, remember...

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Little while ago we had a busy day at work, and logistically it was easier (for me) if I brought my own truck.

IMG_20170505_154048.jpg

Decided to pull this trailer over the market we where breaking down, figured I'd stop if the truck started struggling. It didn't. In the end that trailer must have weighed at least 16 tons (32.000 lbs).

Starter finally decided to call it quits that day tho.

IMG_20170521_133930.jpg

Took it out and put a new one in. Old one in pic above. Much easier then I thought it would've been. The + cable had to go, was almost completely cut in half. Ended up using the cable going to the NATO plug and since I had to take the grill out to get it off I decided to start painting the front. Some parts done:

IMG-20170608-WA0014.jpgIMG_20170605_180113.jpg

Just finished sanding the second headlight bezel. Later today I will start on the grill itself.

Finally got the holes on my Rockinger hitch drilled up to M12 from M10. Had to modify the stock base plate and gave it a couple layers of spray paint.

IMG-20170608-WA0016.jpg

Wasn't exactly going for a quality paint job as you can see, but IMO it looks good for now. Will be painting the whole truck with 2K paint in the future anyway.

Came across topics about people upgrading the steering shaft to one from a Jeep XJ for improved steering, so I just bought a 2nd hand one online for 35 euros including shipping.

Well that's it for now, going outside to (finally) mount the hitch!

Last edited:

Baer

But you were looking good while doing it! This is KK6OYF. I am hoping to get some communications set up in my CUCV. Some time if you could PM me I would like to get a better idea of what you've got in the box, how's mounted and what works best.

scottladdy

Just replaced the drag link (aka connecting rod) on the M1008. An easy job if you have the right tools. I have found a pitman arm puller makes removing those tapers s snap. Now, off for a road test.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The paint job looks plenty fine, it's a working rig anyway, right?!

Nice looking truck by the way.
It's a working rig alright, but it's also my pride and joy haha. The paint sticking is most important tho, it being rough fits the truck anyway. A totally smooth finish wouldn't fit the truck.

Hitch is on. Barely any room between the tailgate and the handle when the hitch is open.

Second headlight bezel got a layer of primer and it's first coat of matte black. Dash heating vents too. Grille got sanded, ready for primer.

cucvrus

1987 cucv m1028

I left a friend borrow my 1987 CUCV M1028 over the weekend to haul firewood and tree branches. They had it since Friday. His Wife called me and said the truck is making a funny rattling sound. I said it was a diesel and she said yea I know that. Her Husband said it was nothing. I told him to stop by. She insisted it was loud and rattling bad. DSCF3004.jpgDSCF3005.jpgDSCF3006.jpgDSCF3007.jpgGood thing they came over. The PS pump was held on by 1 bolt on the back side. The pivot nut on the front side was gone the front notch nut was loose and the bottom rear bolt gone. Fixed it in 10 minutes. Lucked out on that one. Could have been a broken PS pump bracket. Smart women. And then when they drove away. I remembered how he told me he tightened the belts last time he had it so they stopped squealing. He brought it back tonight and I reminded him of that. Oh yea he said. I could hardly get to them bolts. I told him HANDS OFF the CUCV engine going forward. I will let your Wife borrow it next time. Fun Fun. No damage done.

someoldmoose

cucvrus, Wow, ya dodged a .30 caliber there. I had a borrowed pick-up returned to me on a roll-back with the RF wheel hangin'. They wanted to do some four wheelin' after they used it to move. I asked if I could borrow his T/A for the night. Had some cops I wanted to chase me . . . Ba dum, chhhhhh. He was made to pay for a whole new front axle ass'y. (even though I had one out back, shhhhhhhh).

and yer dead on, nobody, NOT NOBODY, better wrench on my girls without the express written consent of Major League Baseball. Do NOT anger a Moose. :deadhorse: (not a dead horse in THIS instance)

Last edited:

cucvrus

They are very good friends. It was all in teasing fun. This guy has trouble checking oil. His Wife can change the oil and the alternator. Both have attempted to put brakes on once. Put them in the caliper backwards. Steel against the rotor. They never lived that one down. That is full metallic brakes. All I remember was it was a T Bird. I fixed it for them. Needed rotors and new brake pads. We had a good laugh about that today again. 20 years and it was like yesterday.

someoldmoose

computer54, You live in Nashville and nobody can getcha a rebuild kit for a NP208 ? Really ? I am more disappointed every time I get to
them thar Smoky Mountians. Broke mah dang Heart when Gatlinburg burned, and it wasn't even Sherman this time.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I always let people borrow my CUCV's. And tools, Books, trailers, Lawn mowers, tractors , log splitter. I have trustworthy friends. I know who can use what and take care of it. It works when I need something. Roll back, Back hoe, Log trailer, many other things. Even Steven. Barter system. Tax free and un report-able.

someoldmoose

Yessir ! I have lotsa memories of friends whose rides had "a funny noise, canya jist look at it for me? ". Best, ( and a VERY old joke) was the one that told me he had a hole in his muffler, could I fix it without buying a WHOLE new one? Told him all he needed was new MUFFLER BEARINGS. He was THRILLED ! ! ! I said just swing by the parts hole and gitcha some. He said, ON THE WAY ! I then sent a group e-mail to every store in town that he was a comin' not knowing which one he'd hit. They, bless their hearts, conspired to run him from one to another saying, We don't have 'em but I KNOW that store does. SIX HOURS LATER, he shows up at the house with two new National tapered rollers. I was 2 six packs in by then and fell outta my cab laughing. Alas, the joke was on me. He had a brand new Lifetime Warranty Walker in the trunk. We split the 3rd sixer and hung his new muffler.

JUST SAW YERS WHILE I WAS TYPING. Agreed, never charged to use most anything. Donations of food and / or libations were always welcomed though.

Radio edit : Mine isn't an "Official U.S. Military CUCV" but I did prime and paint some rust spots on my ' 94 Blazer Siverado today if that maybe counts. It is blue so maybe we "pretend" it's from the Chair Force. (no dis, love yuz fly boys)

Last edited:

FrankenCub

Loan tools??? Never again. Had too many never get returned or broken then chaise trying to get them back or replaced. Loan a vehicles? Only to my mother and one biker friend of mine. With mom,, well that's a given. With my biker friend, he always drops off his Soft Tail Custom for me to ride for the weekend. Can't go wrong there lol. If he broke my truck I'd have his $20k Harley until my truck was made right ;)

That $40 T-case turned out to be really good! Had it swapped out in a couple hours. I himed and hawed for a while whether I should have changed the speedo gears or not, I really didn't want to reseal the tailshaft to the case seems I had to get it home tonight. I should have, reads about 20 mph fast. I'll get some sealant this week and pull the tail shaft and get them swapped. Not like it's a speed demon and needs to be correct though lol.
This week I'll also dissect the old T-case to post up for laughs and a visual reminder of what a lack of lubricant does.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would never have let someone borrow it in the first place.
Learned that lesson the hard way years ago. Never again.

rustystud

I used to lend out some of my tools to the neighbors. Then they started abusing the privilege by keeping them ! My memory is not what it was and I would forget that I had lent out a tool. Then later when I was looking for it I would remember that the neighbor had asked to borrow it last year ! Sure enough he still had it in his tool box !!! After that I said no more !!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks