• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My research shows the one piece works for all. On the m1008 I replaced a 2 piece with s one piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can install both versions, but they don't fit really good.......
The vent windows have a something different form. This is the reason why there are two variants of seals.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I don't know how I missed that whole story. That was an awful fire.

My Beautiful Bride here knew all about it (she is a native Tennessee Lamb), said how terrible it was and all apparently started by some kids playing with matches.

She said that there was also coincidentally a big fire around the same time up in the woods along Signal Mountain in her hometown of Chattanooga.

3jumpjeep

I don't know how I missed that whole story. That was an awful fire.

My Beautiful Bride here knew all about it (she is a native Tennessee Lamb), said how terrible it was and all apparently started by some kids playing with matches.

She said that there was also coincidentally a big fire around the same time up in the woods along Signal Mountain in her hometown of Chattanooga.
A couple teenagers set it deliberately.
I'm sure they didn't think it would go that far, but their lives a forever changed. Thirteen deaths and staggering dollars damage and lives disrupted. Somebody should have gotten those young fellas an old green truck and some tools.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Headlight bezels are done. Camera kinda makes it look glossy, but it is matte (not as matte as I hoped, but it'll do).

IMG_20170612_193732.jpg

Grille got it's first layer of paint, one more tomorrow.

IMG_20170612_192125.jpg

lukasmcdukas

zoe.jpg8" suspension lift, custom crossover/heim steering setup, and some 37's... new front shaft to accomodate the lift. working on rebuilding the trailering setup... someone pulled off all the wiring, connectors, and pintle hitch before I bought it :x

FrankenCub

Whatever it ends up being a good autopsy of the part would be interesting. Depending on the mood an autopsy via forklift, excavator or front end loader might help you feel better. I'm curious to see what you find once you pull the driveshafts and get to checking and removing parts.
Finally got around to pulling the t-case apart. Pretty good signs of heat on most of the parts, bearing fallen apart, many ground into dust lol.
Without further adduce, failed planetary from a NP208. Lack of lubrication.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got around to pulling the t-case apart. Pretty good signs of heat on most of the parts, bearing fallen apart, many ground into dust lol.

If you would, post pictures directly to site.
The links will eventually go dead and help no one.

RobM36A2

I was asked by someone if I was interested to drive my M1028 to a gala/prom/something.
Met the guy and his niece, showed my truck, she loved it! Only thing she said: don't wash it!
Sure, will not wash my truck, that is the job of mother nature (rain).
So 3 weeks later I stood in a cue to deliver 3 nice young ladies to their school.
The lightbar sure came in handy and even let the siren wail a few times.
Later I got a message saying they had a great time and thanked me yet again.

Gala 2017.jpg

cucvrus

I have a few NP 208 cases that have broken housings. All the parts were good. You are welcome to drive down and take any parts you need. I have an NP241 that needs half a case also. T cases that are broken I have a lot of. Most forklift damage.

cucvrus

I seen his pictures and I made him the parts offer based on pictures he showed. They are NOT very helpful pictures. They are pictures of worn out damaged NP 208 transfer case parts that died from lack of lubrication. Some scored shafts and busted needle bearings. Nothing to learn from them except to check your fluids and keep them topped off. I am surprised the speedometer still worked. That nylon gear is the first thing to go and that is the tell tale the transfer case is getting hot.

FrankenCub

If you would, post pictures directly to site.
The links will eventually go dead and help no one.
I'll load them here then. I forge that they can be directly uploaded to this site, other sites I'm on have to go through a image server. They probably aren't very helpful pictures, but may serve as a reminder of what happens when you don't check fluid levels. And for the joy of looking at someone else's carnage. That always makes me smile on a bad day.

20170613_234856.jpg
20170613_200615.jpg
20170613_200700.jpg
20170613_200427.jpg

I have a few NP 208 cases that have broken housings. All the parts were good. You are welcome to drive down and take any parts you need. I have an NP241 that needs half a case also. T cases that are broken I have a lot of. Most forklift damage.
Thanks for the generous offer, it's very much appreciated. I got lucky and found a NP208 locally for a steal price, $40. And it's in great condition. The guy that had it parted out and scrapped a lot of square body Chevys and this was one of the last pieces he had.
And from your other post concerning the speedo gears, they were in surprisingly good shape so I can reuse them. The speedo is reading 20mph fast so I need to pull the tailshaft off to swap out the gears for the ones that came out of the original case but I need to pick some of that LocTite sealant first.
Would regular black oil resistant RTV work ok, or should I wait on the LocTite stuff?

cucvrus

I use Permatex The Right Stuff on my transfer cases when I fix leaks. Most times i have the transmission and transfer case resealed at the transmission shop. But I do use the right stuff for just about everything else. I have great results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks