• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

View attachment 686830View attachment 686831View attachment 686832
Washed the engine. Was very dusty.
I know your not supposed to, but stay away from the alternators and you'll be fine.

Changed fuel filter after pics were taken.
DSCF3168.jpgTinstar I can imagine you might get a bit steamed if you opened your hood and seen this engine. I will be washing down this engine maybe. Maybe not. This is the engine in my Terminus M1009. Runs great and starts right up on the first crank. Dirt makes an easy way to find leaks. Mine looks pretty dry.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 686871Tinstar I can imagine you might get a bit steamed if you opened your hood and seen this engine. I will be washing down this engine maybe. Maybe not. This is the engine in my Terminus M1009. Runs great and starts right up on the first crank. Dirt makes an easy way to find leaks. Mine looks pretty dry.
Wow
Dirty just doesn't describe it.

I like a challenge
Would have to steal the keys and go wash the engine myself.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very good advice. There is another consideration as well. Absolutely no liquid can get into any cylinder. Look up "diesel engine hydraulic lock".
Unless your head gasket failed as you pulled into the wash bay, no water from the car wash will affect anything hydraulically. Steaming hot water on a hot engine will not cause shock issues.

Sure you can douse the alternators and screw those up.
Put the nozzle of the high pressure spray right up to a connection or seal and push water into that causing issues.
Using ice cold water on a very hot engine "might" cause some thermal shock issues..... i.e. Exhaust manifold.

Been washing the engines of all my vehicles for 40 years.
Only one alternator failure and it was my fault.
Have washed countless Helicopter turbine engines with zero issues. Yes, pilots do wash aircraft.
Turbines are completely different animals but you get the point.

So, I will not worry about hydraulic lock.

scottladdy

Unless your head gasket failed as you pulled into the wash bay, no water from the car wash will affect anything hydraulically. Steaming hot water on a hot engine will not cause shock issues.

Sure you can douse the alternators and screw those up.
Put the nozzle of the high pressure spray right up to a connection or seal and push water into that causing issues.
Using ice cold water on a very hot engine "might" cause some thermal shock issues..... i.e. Exhaust manifold.

Been washing the engines of all my vehicles for 40 years.
Only one alternator failure and it was my fault.
Have washed countless Helicopter turbine engines with zero issues. Yes, pilots do wash aircraft.
Turbines are completely different animals but you get the point.

So, I will not worry about hydraulic lock.
Not shock but lock. You can easily get liquid/water in a cylinder if you are not careful around the intake. One good sized drop is all it would take to bend a connecting rod or worse. Please search on the terms I provided:

"Hydrolock (a shorthand notation for hydrostatic lock) is an abnormal condition of any device which is designed to compress a gas by mechanically restraining it; most commonly the reciprocating internal combustion engine, the case this article refers to unless otherwise noted. Hydrolock occurs when a volume of liquid greater than the volume of the cylinder at its minimum (end of the piston's stroke) enters the cylinder. Since liquids are nearly incompressible the piston cannot complete its travel; either the engine must stop rotating or a mechanical failure must occur."

"Diesel engines[edit]

Diesel engines are more susceptible to hydrolock than gasoline engines. Due to their higher compression ratios, diesel engines have a much smaller final combustion chamber volume, requiring much less liquid to hydrolock. Diesel engines also tend to have higher torque, rotating inertia, and stronger starter motors than gasoline engines. The result is that a diesel engine is more likely to suffer catastrophic damage."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock

Just want to save people some heartache. And for the record, I also wash my engine bays. "A clean machine is a happy machine" ... unless it is Rick's. And then his dirty machines are ecstatic!

Last edited:

Another Ahab

We steamed cleaned our engines all the time at Metro. It never caused any problems, unless you had a bad electrical connector ! Then you would be chasing a faulty circuit all day long !!!
But once everything dried out over time, all the connections would be restored, right?

Just wondering, because i had a buddy in the neighborhood where I grew up who drove an old VW bug.

And every now and then that car just wouldn't start (not even with a courtesy rolling "push" from one of us neighbors).

So my buddy would just leave it in his garage, and close the overhead door and let it sit overnight. He said it "needed rest".
Then, next day, it would fire right up. :3dAngus:

All of us buddies of his thought it was strange.

Our friend he just claimed, "I'm the VW Doctor!"

I never could figure out how he did that.

scottladdy

Did you find that in the TM?
So, "since you asked" there is contradictory information on this topic.
The -10 TM states "Keep it clean" and "engine must be cold" and then describes what to do when cleaning the engine compartment with water on page 2-6
The 1985 Chevy Trucks Owners Manual states that the engine should not be cleaned. But then tells you what to do if you insist on doing so:

View attachment Diesel Engine Cleaning.pdf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks