• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Bighorn

I'll try that.
I wasn't so much concerned about it falling off as I was about it's ability to absorb torsional shock.
But since I don't for see any further use for it, I am throwing it away, might as well smack it with a hammer first.

cucvrus

I was just referring to guys saying they were loose. I did hit one and it was very tight. It was in an accident and the 6.2 was scrap. Basically the entire CUCV & driveline was scrap. Except the 14 bolt rear axle. I have pictures but they are 35mm. I'm old. Have a great day.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire change! Moved the rear wheels to the front (those still have enough profile), new tires on the rear... Never thought about the rear rims being wider, the tires are rubbing the front fenders now..., so I have to switch them around again. It's at the garage for annual inspection (MOT) now tho, wouldn't pass with the old worn front tires.

f49ff37f71fd9a0bae433b68b6304b09.jpg

They also balanced them, they where pretty bad. They did the best they could and while it is an improvement, I got an excuse to start looking for HMMWV rims.

Last edited:

Smittyjs

This is my first post in this thread and I have some big time catching up to do..
This is what Ive done over the last 3 months which is about how long Ive owned my 85 1028
Replaced steering wheel with a stock one and get the horn working..It came with a Momo wheel
Replaced starter bolts and install a bracket..It had only one bolt holding it in and no bracket
Replaced all brake lines..Replaced gas tank and sender..
Replaced harmonic balancer and front seal..Replaced seal on transfer case output shaft and the spline d washer
Replaced steering box power steering pump and lines. Replaced coolant crossover tube and thermostat.
Replaced belts..Installed 6 inch lift..new Springs,greasable shackles new shocks. Installed sway bar bushing and disconnect.
Replaced steering and drag links and steering dampener installed raised steering block..Installed steering box frame reinforcement bracket.
Replaced cab mounts with poly type.. Got the front end aligned it steers really well considering the lift and the 37 inch tires very happy with it.
about 2 months before I bought it it had the transmission rebuilt as well as the transfer case a new radiator and a brand new set of wheels
and tires..
Next project a CB and a stock looking antenna and bracket that sounds like more fun than what I just went through by the way I did all this
in my driveway except the alignment..
I love this truck cant figure out why but I do..

Attachments

Volvo740turbo

This is my first post in this thread and I have some big time catching up to do..
This is what Ive done over the last 3 months which is about how long Ive owned my 85 1028
Replaced steering wheel with a stock one and get the horn working..It came with a Momo wheel
Replaced starter bolts and install a bracket..It had only one bolt holding it in and no bracket
Replaced all brake lines..Replaced gas tank and sender..
Replaced harmonic balancer and front seal..Replaced seal on transfer case output shaft and the spline d washer
Replaced steering box power steering pump and lines. Replaced coolant crossover tube and thermostat.
Replaced belts..Installed 6 inch lift..new Springs,greasable shackles new shocks. Installed sway bar bushing and disconnect.
Replaced steering and drag links and steering dampener installed raised steering block..Installed steering box frame reinforcement bracket.
Replaced cab mounts with poly type.. Got the front end aligned it steers really well considering the lift and the 37 inch tires very happy with it.
about 2 months before I bought it it had the transmission rebuilt as well as the transfer case a new radiator and a brand new set of wheels
and tires..
Next project a CB and a stock looking antenna and bracket that sounds like more fun than what I just went through by the way I did all this
in my driveway except the alignment..
I love this truck cant figure out why but I do..
Geez that's a lot of work! Clean truck btw

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A gun rack in the back window of a California truck?

Surprised the rack alone isn't illegal.

Nice truck.
Lifts aren't my style but it's clean and detailed.

Smittyjs

A gun rack in the back window of a California truck?

Surprised the rack alone isn't illegal.

Nice truck.
Lifts aren't my style but it's clean and detailed.
It probably is illegal I cant keep up with all their B.S. Im one big red flag here no doubt.

Last edited:

RobM36A2

Tire change! Moved the rear wheels to the front (those still have enough profile), new tires on the rear... Never thought about the rear rims being wider, the tires are rubbing the front fenders now..., so I have to switch them around again. It's at the garage for annual inspection (MOT) now tho, wouldn't pass with the old worn front tires.
What kind of tires?
I can't find any tires for 16.5 inch rims

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've found 37x12.5 R16.5 Goodyear Wranglers (Military OZ) on Marktplaats for 195 euro a piece (new). Best I've found in stores are 400 euros+. I'll send you a PM with the link.

Bighorn

I like the picture of the harmonic balancer. I would like you to test something. Put that balancer in a vise or block it and see how hard that is to knock that ring off. I tried. It took great effort. I see cracks like that on almost every engine I pull. But try the hammer test. That thing is on there very tight.
Well I smacked the outer ring of that old stock harmonic balancer with my Renegade Stiletto framing hammer for you.
Nothing happened.
The outer ring is still intact and did not shift at all.
I would say the rubber and whatever bonding they did is still intact.
This one had 93,000 miles on it after 31 years.
Not sure how many miles it takes before they disintegrate to the point of coming apart but that doesn't seem likely.

Kaiser67M715

Well I smacked the outer ring of that old stock harmonic balancer with my Renegade Stiletto framing hammer for you.
Nothing happened.
The outer ring is still intact and did not shift at all.
I would say the rubber and whatever bonding they did is still intact.
This one had 93,000 miles on it after 31 years.
Not sure how many miles it takes before they disintegrate to the point of coming apart but that doesn't seem likely.
I've seen a couple come apart, most were oil covered, there was only one where the HB was dry and the ring was spinning around the outside. I think there are lots of variables at play, so routine checking (every oil change?)won't hurt nothing.

PS, most of the HBs I've seen fail were on later 90's trucks with high mileage.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Ilikemtb999

Finally got the materials to extend some wires for my new battery setup. So much more room and startup is nice and quick now. Had to extend the glow plug wire off the battery and 1 battery cable. Remade another a bit shorter and shortened up the ground on the rad support. Still waiting on a new cdr elbow and a few things to get it back on the road. I may try and make a heat shield for the air filter. I figure it can't hurt.

IMG_1700.jpg
IMG_1702.jpg

MarcusOReallyus

I see you used the military style terminals. Nice. I've gone to them for all my vehicles.

Are you going to add some loom to that? I see a few places where it's needed.

Ilikemtb999

I see you used the military style terminals. Nice. I've gone to them for all my vehicles.

Are you going to add some loom to that? I see a few places where it's needed.

Yea the military style terminals and cover are far nicer than what I had on there. Would you suggest loom on all of it? I was planning on putting it just on the cable from battery 1 to battery 2. Figured the other cables weren't loomed from the factory but were tied down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks