• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

gottaluvit

Loaded it up with just at it's weight capacity with 25 HMMWV airlift bumpers. I usually drag a trailer to load heavier loads but decided to just load the truck today. Springs still have arc left with the load. This truck sure runs good but nature is calling her, trying to turn her back to dirt. Darn roadsalt!

20170901_120228.jpg
20170901_121351.jpg

cucvrus

The average vehicle has 10 to 11 year life span. So it has lived 3 life spans. Rust and wear out are inevitable. I see no way to keep it from being recalled to dirt as a daily driver in any snow/salt state. That is bound to happen no matter how well you take care of it. I have seen 2013 municipal trucks with cab floor holes. They are the liquid salt/chemical trucks. Hard to believe but true. We have a 2007 Silverado that has no rockers left. Road chemicals are changing faster then the metal technology.

cucvrus

The Mule.jpgI am done with fixing my daily driver. I just trade it every 5 years and call it fixed. Worked well the past 14 years. Never put tires, battery, brakes, or anything on them. Took care of them and got a good price for the trade. Next year is the next cycle. 30 years apart. 1984 - 2014. What a change.

cucvrus

$80K. NOT. My new trucks are real work trucks. I order them and they have crank windows. I get a Chevrolet 4WD, 8 ft bed, posi-traction rear , towing package, AC, trailer brakes, skid plate package no chrome. Everything as HD as a 1/2 ton can get and call it a day. About $30K. payed out less then $10k each time that comes out to less then $200. each month. Not bad to sit and drive where ever I wanted to go. But I do have several other vehicles to drive. It works I did the math. Not that I don't like my older vehicles. Just like new stuff better. I like plain Jane 4WD pick ups.DSCN0640.jpg001.jpg008.jpg

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$80K. NOT. My new trucks are real work trucks. I order them and they have crank windows. I get a Chevrolet 4WD, 8 ft bed, posi-traction rear , towing package, AC, trailer brakes, skid plate package no chrome. Everything as HD as a 1/2 ton can get and call it a day. About $30K. payed out less then $10k each time that comes out to less then $200. each month. Not bad to sit and drive where ever I wanted to go. But I do have several other vehicles to drive. It works I did the math. Not that I don't like my older vehicles. Just like new stuff better. I like plain Jane 4WD pick ups.View attachment 697253View attachment 697254View attachment 697255
.......in the first picture i see you have a little german dog ( Dackel, Teckel, Dachshund are the german names).
What do you call them in the States?
Badger dog?

Ilikemtb999

The average vehicle has 10 to 11 year life span. So it has lived 3 life spans. Rust and wear out are inevitable. I see no way to keep it from being recalled to dirt as a daily driver in any snow/salt state. That is bound to happen no matter how well you take care of it. I have seen 2013 municipal trucks with cab floor holes. They are the liquid salt/chemical trucks. Hard to believe but true. We have a 2007 Silverado that has no rockers left. Road chemicals are changing faster then the metal technology.
That's rough. My newest vehicle is 10 years old and is spotless as far as rust goes. My last truck was an 01 (got rid of it 2 months ago) and it too was spotless.

Bighorn

Rust is why I am finally ditching my 1976 K5 for this 1986 M1009. The old K5 has cracks in the frame, holes in the floor, the doors don't shut right due to rust, and the drivers side hood hinge broke the last time I forded the Wood river near Meeteetse.
I can't tell you how disappointing it is to have the hood fall off half way while fording a river.
I almost spilled my beer.

Today i finished installing the rebuilt Fuel injection pump the Oregon Fuel injection built for me.
Installed the intake manifold.
Replaced all 8 Delco 13G glows for Delco 60G's and had to swap the terminals to the big blade connectors.

Radiator is waiting pickup down in town.
Waiting for a new lift pump and water pump to arrive Wednesday.
Getting her done a little bit after work each night.

cucvrus

Well, I cant chance a 1/2 ton. I hate restrictions!

That's why I have a trailer.DSCF3344.jpgIt is easier to load and unload and I can load it with a loader or forklift and never put a dent or scratch in the new truck. Better yet the registration tags are $12. a year. A 1 ton truck I was paying $150+ a year for. Now the new 1/2 tons weigh more then the (5,000lb) 1/2 ton registration allows and you have to get 3/4 ton tags for it. $84. each year. DSCF3377.jpgHave a great day.

MarcusOReallyus

Yea the military style terminals and cover are far nicer than what I had on there. Would you suggest loom on all of it? I was planning on putting it just on the cable from battery 1 to battery 2. Figured the other cables weren't loomed from the factory but were tied down.

Yeah, there are a lot of places where a current automotive engineer would shriek in horror at how our beasts are wired. No protection AT ALL on many of the hot leads. I didn't realize how bad it is before I rewired my 12v junction box a few weeks ago. I added loom in a few places. Yeah, it's been fine now for 30 years, but loom is cheap. Why not add some insurance?

You can check this thread for some pics of what I did.

Drock

Finally replaced my oil cooler lines today. Cut the ends off the old ones and replaced the rubber hose using jubilee clamps + replaced the rubber O-rings. Worked out really well (Thanks cucvrus):beer:, the whole thing took 45 minutes. And I think $15-$20.00 if I remember correctly? :shrugs:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks