• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

rustystud

In this case, it was moving that front battery from it's stock location back to reside parallel to the rear battery.
The slope of the hood clears the rear battery by inches but was nearly in contact with the front battery terminal.
I bought the truck in Oregon and drove it home to Wyoming.
But I only started wheeling it offroad recently.
The additional flex created by 33 inch tires probably contributed.
It wasn't like I was railing along at speed.
I was creeping in low range about 3 mph.
I should know better.
It all looked so nice and the battery tray had been done along with an LMC headlight box.. I made the mistake of getting complacent and trusting someone elses work.
My fault.
Lucky it is just a few holes on the inner sheet metal of the hood and not through the hood or worse.
I am a dummy.
No, your not dumb. In fact your pretty smart to look for the problem before it became a "REALLY" big problem. A lot of people would just let it slid thinking it was nothing.
One of my biggest "bugaboos" is electrical fires. Having had a big one in my past. So I'm always smelling the vehicle which drives my family nuts. I will ask "do you smell that ? " and they usually say "No Dad, there's nothing there. It's your imagination" .

computer54

I look for fuel on the motor and other places that fuel can get to and heat well get to it. Found some fuel leaks and have fixed them and now looking at other places the they have fixed before I got the truck.

rustystud

I look for fuel on the motor and other places that fuel can get to and heat well get to it. Found some fuel leaks and have fixed them and now looking at other places the they have fixed before I got the truck.
That is also a very good thing to always check. I had a diesel tractor that caught fire due to a small fuel leak on the exhaust manifold. Thankfully we where able to put out the fire. Just smothered it with dirt. Scared the crap out of us though !
We never even knew there was a leak it was so small.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, your not dumb. In fact your pretty smart to look for the problem before it became a "REALLY" big problem. A lot of people would just let it slid thinking it was nothing.
One of my biggest "bugaboos" is electrical fires. Having had a big one in my past. So I'm always smelling the vehicle which drives my family nuts. I will ask "do you smell that ? " and they usually say "No Dad, there's nothing there. It's your imagination" .
I've had 3 fires before. First one was my mom's Daihatsu Cuore which I was driving after an oil leak fix. Caught fire at the cooling fan connector.

Second was at the window electric window buttons on my work's Iveco Daily. I guess it got wet in the rain (I maneuver trailers around a lot, hanging out the window/door for better visibility) causing a short and someone had replaced the 3A fuse with a 10A fuse before...

Third was with he Daily as well, some wiring got loose and shorted. I was dropping of a trailer for the next job and I noticed smoke. Opened the hood and saw flames down in the engine compartment. Called fire department. Got the fire extinguished before they arrived tho, found a bottle of Glassex that I poured over it. They checked with heat cameras too make sure it was out.

Funny thing is, there is a fire station like 0.15 miles away, but they had to come from down town...

16825749_1296459677057517_2361757773283032827_o.jpg

Now every time I smell something (usually a cigarette still burning in the ashtray) I look under the hood haha.

One of the first things I got for my CUCV was a fire extinguisher. All other vehicles can burn down to the ground for all I care, but not my truck!

And to stay on-topic, I pulled a shipping container over pavement so I could finish my job, settings up market stalls.

21992908_10155976351359610_4196831036972553836_o.jpg

Had to use 4Lo to get it to budge... :grin:

Last edited:

911joeblow

I have been on fire in a racecar, not cool. Fire system and good safety equipment saved me as well as practicing egress from the car many many times just in case. I don't own a vehicle with combustibles in it that does not have at least a halon fire extinguisher in it. Overkill perhapts but I don't want to be on fire again. ��

Another Ahab

I have been on fire in a racecar, not cool. Fire system and good safety equipment saved me as well as practicing egress from the car many many times just in case. I don't own a vehicle with combustibles in it that does not have at least a halon fire extinguisher in it. Overkill perhapts but I don't want to be on fire again.
Burn injuries are horrible, not that any injury isn't.

A buddy of mine from childhood messing with a train sustained third-degree burns over 75% of his body when we were youngsters.

Statistically he "should" have died.

He recovered, and he's fine now, does house painting and paper-hanging, married and two sons. He's all good.

But he did tell me that dying is a kind of mercy for burn victims. Said that the pain from the nerve regeneration (if you make it) is like nothing you'd be able to believe. My buddy, Chease. God bless him, a good man (a little crazy, but good). Amen

Last edited:

sneekyeye

Well I attempted and succeeded in putting in a rear axle hub oil seal on the1028. However I seemed to have bent the seal portion and ruined my new seal when I installed it. I put probably thirty miles on it today and came home to oil slung all over my rear rotor and up and down the inside of the tire. Tomorrow's chore is to find a big seal installer and a new seal and put a second one on. Hopefully without goobering it up this time.

DREDnot

Mounted my bridge plate. Thanks rocket990.
Added some bumper numbers

DSCN2377.jpg

The FL-NG-X had been painted over and was on the original CARC green paint.
The VIN search only revealed a UIC of W1Q9AA which so far is a dead end. So I just went with Non Tactical Vehicle #3

cucvrus

Well I attempted and succeeded in putting in a rear axle hub oil seal on the1028. However I seemed to have bent the seal portion and ruined my new seal when I installed it. I put probably thirty miles on it today and came home to oil slung all over my rear rotor and up and down the inside of the tire. Tomorrow's chore is to find a big seal installer and a new seal and put a second one on. Hopefully without goobering it up this time.
Big seal installer is an easy short piece of 2 X 4 layed flat and hit to drive seal in. 2 x 6 will work also. Walnut, pine, fir, or oak. Anything that lays flat.

sneekyeye

IMAG0670[1].jpgIMAG0671[1].jpgIMAG0672[1].jpg

So I made a seal installer out of a piece of 1x4 maybe maple and a scrap of 2x6 with some all thread. I just put it on and tightened it down and it pulled it on in this time. Hopefully its in there good and I don't have any more leak on that side. I'm waiting on the axle shaft rtv to dry before I go roll around the neighborhood to test it.

Last edited:

DREDnot

Got the rear bumper numbers done.
Red reflective strips.
Moved the license plate to the tailgate.
Finally added a license plate light.

DSCN2388e.jpg

Bighorn

Reinstalled the glow plug resistor pack (Thanks, CUCVRUS) so my system is stock.
Truck starts even better.
Like instantly firing instead of turning over twice.
Not a huge difference.. but there is a difference.

Replaced the vacuum transducer on the injection pump.
Had found one on ebay that was new old stock and cheap.
Totally changed how my turbo 400 shifts.
Even though the old transducer seemed to be functioning correctly according to my vacuum gauge, my shifts were high.
I couldn't adjust it down to where I wanted it to be.
The new part got me back to a range where I can actually get what I want.
So even though the vacuum gauge read number in line with information on this website, there must be more to the function of this part that was a little out of spec with the old one.
Smooth as can be now and still firm.
Shift points are much lower.
Ac Delco and GM # 14057219

papa8856

Changed Front and rear Differential oil
Changed Transmission filter and fluid
Drained transfer case and refilled
4 new shocks installed
Changed glow plug relay
Changed fast idle actuator

And Still troubleshooting my right front Directional ( inop)

cucvrus

And Still troubleshooting my right front Directional ( inop)

Check the bulb socket. You should have a small sliver of steel protruding into the socket that serves as a ground. If that is missing go to NAPA and get another socket. I have the Part Number if you need it. Hope that helps. Have a great day.Part number LS6461 cost is 8.39ea. From NAPA

papa8856

Thank you for your input. I changed it last night I have 12 volts at both silver prongs at the bottom of the socket. At the same time I don't know if this is correct or not. I have to chase some wires tonight. I will check the ground again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks