• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

Sometimes parking them is an open invitation for trouble. I mean that is the batteries are now sitting a sulfating and nothing is being used. the most reliable vehicles are the ones driven everyday. unless you are 100% confident it is a driver. I would start it and run it at least once a week. I have a few setting inside and I at least exercise the engines every month or so. Good Luck. The salt is hungry for steel. Make sure you keep it clean after winter operations.

Another Ahab

Sometimes parking them is an open invitation for trouble. I mean that is the batteries are now sitting a sulfating and nothing is being used. the most reliable vehicles are the ones driven everyday. unless you are 100% confident it is a driver. I would start it and run it at least once a week. I have a few setting inside and I at least exercise the engines every month or so. Good Luck. The salt is hungry for steel. Make sure you keep it clean after winter operations.
Sounds like good advice.

Does that apply the same across the board (being a battery issue mostly) whether the engine is diesel or gas, you think?

cucvrus

I have a brand new 305 gas engine sitting on my engine stand. I bought it in 2003. It was a new GM target master engine for a 1985 K10 pick up I was restoring. I put on all the external brackets and everything was all pretty. I left it hang on the engine stand. I kept it covered never out in the rain or got wet in any way. It was stick shift engine and had to flywheel on it. I had the flywheel off and had it machined. I set it aside and worked on a few projects like I always do. I went back maybe a year later and turned it over with the strap wrench on the bottom pulley. it was fine. I may have forgotten it a few times maybe a year or more. Went back and bang no turn over, Removed the spark plugs put spray and ATF down the intake. No good. never turned other again. I had people say put a starter on it. I put a flex-plate on and hooked up the battery. Locked up. It is still sitting there. I drained the oil. it was crystal clear. No ideas. My boat don't need an anchor this big and I sold the K10 minus the engine. So I know what just sitting can do. Dry barn never seen the road brand new GM engine. Not a rebuild. $1,100. at the time. Made it up with the K10 as it was a short bed 4 X 4 and the guy had a 350 to put in it. Just puzzled as to what happened. I pictured maybe a rodent living in the intake. it had the carb on it. I thought maybe electrolysis from the aluminum pistons to the steel block. But why. Maybe the engine never ran and no oil on the rings to prevent the bound between dissimilar metals. I don't know. Just wanted to mention about storing vehicles and engines.

rustystud

I have a brand new 305 gas engine sitting on my engine stand. I bought it in 2003. It was a new GM target master engine for a 1985 K10 pick up I was restoring. I put on all the external brackets and everything was all pretty. I left it hang on the engine stand. I kept it covered never out in the rain or got wet in any way. It was stick shift engine and had to flywheel on it. I had the flywheel off and had it machined. I set it aside and worked on a few projects like I always do. I went back maybe a year later and turned it over with the strap wrench on the bottom pulley. it was fine. I may have forgotten it a few times maybe a year or more. Went back and bang no turn over, Removed the spark plugs put spray and ATF down the intake. No good. never turned other again. I had people say put a starter on it. I put a flex-plate on and hooked up the battery. Locked up. It is still sitting there. I drained the oil. it was crystal clear. No ideas. My boat don't need an anchor this big and I sold the K10 minus the engine. So I know what just sitting can do. Dry barn never seen the road brand new GM engine. Not a rebuild. $1,100. at the time. Made it up with the K10 as it was a short bed 4 X 4 and the guy had a 350 to put in it. Just puzzled as to what happened. I pictured maybe a rodent living in the intake. it had the carb on it. I thought maybe electrolysis from the aluminum pistons to the steel block. But why. Maybe the engine never ran and no oil on the rings to prevent the bound between dissimilar metals. I don't know. Just wanted to mention about storing vehicles and engines.
The rings rusted to the cylinder bore. Seen it happen so many times. I tell people who are going to "store" an engine to put a "oil pump driver" in it and using your electric drill spin-up some oil pressure once a month at least. There are oil pump drivers for almost all engines. Just go to "Summit" or "Jegs" and you'll find them.
I'm also guilty of not listening to my own advice. I had bought a beautiful Marine diesel engine (Westerbeke) from a fellow employee that had been totally rebuilt and let it sit in the garage for years. I would turn over the engine every now and then. Then one time I went to turn over the engine and "No Go !!! " . The rings had rusted to the bore. Lesson learned.

Ilikemtb999

The rings rusted to the cylinder bore. Seen it happen so many times. I tell people who are going to "store" an engine to put a "oil pump driver" in it and using your electric drill spin-up some oil pressure once a month at least. There are oil pump drivers for almost all engines. Just go to "Summit" or "Jegs" and you'll find them.
I'm also guilty of not listening to my own advice. I had bought a beautiful Marine diesel engine (Westerbeke) from a fellow employee that had been totally rebuilt and let it sit in the garage for years. I would turn over the engine every now and then. Then one time I went to turn over the engine and "No Go !!! " . The rings had rusted to the bore. Lesson learned.
I’m not sure that would help the rings at all. I’ve always heard either completely filling an engine with oil or pouring it into the combustion chamber and periodically turning it over to help with that.

edit: I was thinking about this last night, do you think fluid film sprayed into the cylinders would be best?

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

It was pressure wash time today. My 1028 parks in the shade most of the time, and things grow on that CARC! It was getting lichen on it. Nasty. So, a good pressure washing took care of it. It hasn't looked that good.... well, it's never looked that good!

I have a picture of before and after, but for some reason, I can't upload it. Once I select the file, a red exclamation mark is put next to it, and it won't upload. :shrugs:

rustystud

I’m not sure that would help the rings at all. I’ve always heard either completely filling an engine with oil or pouring it into the combustion chamber and periodically turning it over to help with that.

edit: I was thinking about this last night, do you think fluid film sprayed into the cylinders would be best?
You don't think pressurizing the oil system will help ? It will spray oil all over everything. Including the piston pins and rings and by extension the cylinder bores. As far as filling the whole engine with oil. All you will end up with is a mess. It will come out every pore that engine has, plus the seals. The seals are not meant to hold back a solid mass of oil. Also pouring oil in the combustion chamber will only work for a few days. Then the oil will drain down. If you want to know the "correct" way to seal an engine for long term storage, the military has an excellent program listed in one of the TM's. I cannot remember which one off the top of my head, though you could look it up. It involves totally "draining" all the oil though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks