• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I always thought "because then the TMs apply" was the only reason needed for wanting to keep it stock. People changing it are the ones who need to justify it to themselves.
I'm not big on modifications but the glow plug resistor bypass is one I like. Adding one wire and unhooking another isn't a big deal and the end result is something that works better for me. Nothing hacked, nothing that couldn't be changed back in less than 5 minutes. Saves money and the time changing all the glow plugs. No downside for me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always thought "because then the TMs apply" was the only reason needed for wanting to keep it stock. People changing it are the ones who need to justify it to themselves.
Okay, I can justify why I did it. I have endured the cascading failure before and it was on a daily driver CUCV, I needed a way to be able to keep on starting it. I would compare it to a series GP circuit, one fails and the cascading effect makes none of them work. My resistor is in place and wired. If I need to slave it off I can swap the resistor wire onto the solenoid in a couple of minutes.. I have the best of both worlds without the possibility of a cascading failure.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For all those 'keep it stock' people...

Remember, just because 'it's always been done that way' or 'that's the way it was designed', doesn't mean it's the right or best way...

It's one thing if it's a museum piece, but as a daily driver, reliability is more important than originality, IMHO,

Ultimately, it's your vehicle to do with as you please.

computer54

Okay, I can justify why I did it. I have endured the cascading failure before and it was on a daily driver CUCV, I needed a way to be able to keep on starting it. I would compare it to a series GP circuit, one fails and the cascading effect makes none of them work. My resistor is in place and wired. If I need to slave it off I can swap the resistor wire onto the solenoid in a couple of minutes.. I have the best of both worlds without the possibility of a cascading failure.
I use my truck as a daily driver and it work great .

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Tinstar, is there any technical reasons why you want to keep the resistor in place.
No technical reason at all.

I like all my MVs as stock as possible, with very few exceptions.
That’s me.
I don’t care if the other is easier, better, cheaper, etc.
That’s what it came with and that’s how it stays. For better or worse.
If it fails again, I will drive another one of my vehicles to go get another set.

This thinking isn’t for everyone and that’s fine.
It works for me and that’s all that matters.

The busted GP tip was a fluke and led to the rest failing.
Why did it fail? Who knows.
The stock system has been working flawlessly for over two years.

Everything worked perfect and as designed after installing new ones today.
All is good.

computer54

No technical reason at all.
I like all my MVs as stock as possible, with very few exceptions.
That’s me.
I don’t care if the other is easier, better, cheaper, etc.
That’s what it came with and that’s how it stays. For better or worse.
If it fails again, I will drive another one of my vehicles to go get another set.
This thinking isn’t for everyone and that’s fine.
It works for me and that’s all that matters.
The busted GP tip was a fluke and led to the rest failing.
Why did it fail? Who knows.
The stock system has been working flawlessly for over two years.
Everything worked perfect and as designed after installing new ones today.
All is good.
I am the same, I want it to be the way it came from the factory.

PeeWeeQ

Got some Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx tires in 285/75R16 dirt cheap!

I'm gonna try my hand at mounting and balancing myself with old-school tools and methods. Would a thread of that kind with pics be useful?

True Knight

Got some Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx tires in 285/75R16 dirt cheap!

I'm gonna try my hand at mounting and balancing myself with old-school tools and methods. Would a thread of that kind with pics be useful?
If it saves people money I’m sure people would be interested.

I mounted all mine with the cheapest tire machine I could find and I used the heavy air soft bbs to balance my tires. I got tired of having tires go out of balance with the normal weights method.

3jumpjeep

If it saves people money I’m sure people would be interested.

I mounted all mine with the cheapest tire machine I could find and I used the heavy air soft bbs to balance my tires. I got tired of having tires go out of balance with the normal weights method.
Airsoft BBs... I haven't seen this in the TMs, but sounds interesting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Dock Rocker

Make sure you don’t get the BB’s that will biodegrade. Get the heavier plastic ones. If you need more intel google balancing beads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the GP relay on my M1031.. I converted it to manual push button years ago, and noticed it would 'clunk' but I'd get no juice (led on output, so no light =no plugs). It went from happening once a month to once a week to having to sit there cycling the solenoid until it'd 'catch'. So, replaced the GP with a GPR1... Had to use some 1/4" self tappers to secure it, but it's working good so far.

Last edited:

True Knight

Beads are more useful on larger off-road mud tires that are harder to balance. Plus beads adjust position and help counteract mud and stuff getting stuck in the wheels. Regular sized street tires work best with regular weights.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the GP relay on my M1031.. I converted it to manual push button years ago, and noticed it would 'clunk' but I'd get no juice (led on output, so no light =no plugs). It went from happening once a month to once a week to having to sit there cycling the solenoid until it'd 'catch'. So, replaced the GP with a GPR1... Had to use some 1/4" self tappers to secure it, but it's working good so far.
With the GPR1, isn’t there a chance of a blade terminal coming off from vibration?
That style solenoid isn’t typically used as a replacement from what I’ve read here on SS.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wiring

electrical work.jpg"No wonder it doesn't work, its plugged up with wires nyuk nyuk." Before purists go crazy, this truck is repurposed, not restored. I'll not be going back to stock configuration as its way too late for that :) When I want a stock CUCV, I can always buy one from cucvrus, no worries. As the electrical bits pile up, they go into the Pay-it-Forward forum as I don't want to store this stuff.

Oh, and I relocated the mirror to the fender, cuz, well, the door isn't there.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EF9B6D95-3A67-41EA-9AFB-3641468B2F25.jpg0F39699C-1313-4EAF-9CC7-E3C6C4486E95.jpg422F7579-AAE9-4E4B-804B-9B9A1219ECA5.jpg26F4ECE6-830C-4817-AAA8-AC9537884412.jpg
When I was at the salvage yard in AZ, picked up a ton of small items.
One is this GM UnderHood retractable Work light.
Works great and will install it in my M1008A1 engine bay.

Yes I know it didn’t come on a factory fresh cucv and probably wasn’t even available yet on civi trucks.
Was only $2 and I think will come in very handy with the days growing shorter.

Not CUCV issue but at least it’s a factory GM part.

E40760B7-CA8C-4027-A93D-8FE754C7DD94.jpgABAE895E-D2DF-4FB3-8CE8-8A58A0882393.jpg
Installed.
Had to move it since I forgot about hood hinge.
Cool thing is the cords about 5’ long.
Plenty of reach.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I had a 1963 Mercedes 330SE. It had one of them lights and a Mercedes tool kit in it. I was offered $200. for that light and the tool kit. I sold the entire car on the bay and it went to California. I never sold the parts separate. That was a cool car. Way ahead of it's time. 4 wheel independent suspension, air ride, 4 wheel disc brakes, sunroof. The door hinges and the door latches had the needle type grease fittings on them. I have one of them lights in a 1991 K5 Blazer I am parting out. Cool addition. Add an LED bulb to it and it will be even better.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went down and picked up a bunch of parts for our M1010 from CUCVRUS, one of the greatest guys I've med from SS so far, R you were great, thanks for all the parts! All we need now is one rear bench cushion and we are 100%, all thanks to CUCVRUS's vast inventory!

gottaluvit

View attachment 708702"No wonder it doesn't work, its plugged up with wires nyuk nyuk." Before purists go crazy, this truck is repurposed, not restored. I'll not be going back to stock configuration as its way too late for that :) When I want a stock CUCV, I can always buy one from cucvrus, no worries. As the electrical bits pile up, they go into the Pay-it-Forward forum as I don't want to store this stuff.

Oh, and I relocated the mirror to the fender, cuz, well, the door isn't there.
I love the way you cut out the fenders and rear quarters. That looks tough and not hacked.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the way you cut out the fenders and rear quarters. That looks tough and not hacked.
There was method to the fender cutting madness, you see, I am fascinated by those "arctic trucks" use in Iceland. If I ever decide to go with fat 49's then I'll need some Godzilla fenders. I used a front fender from an M35A2 as a template for the cuts, so four of those can be welded right in.....some day.

Maybe someone good with photoshop skills could do an artist's rendition of what that would look like.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks