• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a 1963 Mercedes 330SE. It had one of them lights and a Mercedes tool kit in it. I was offered $200. for that light and the tool kit. I sold the entire car on the bay and it went to California. I never sold the parts separate. That was a cool car. Way ahead of it's time. 4 wheel independent suspension, air ride, 4 wheel disc brakes, sunroof. The door hinges and the door latches had the needle type grease fittings on them. I have one of them lights in a 1991 K5 Blazer I am parting out. Cool addition. Add an LED bulb to it and it will be even better.
Just tried it out in the dark and it is VERY nice!
Puts out more light than you would think.

Wish I would have added this when I first bought truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ford made an underhood light that had a retractable cord like a trouble light. I had one of those in my truck at one point. I had to file off the crazy ford logo though.

cucvrus

I use the Ford jack cranks on my M1009's. I get the little clips that hold it fast on the top of the core support and just clip the one piece long crank across the under side if the hood. Beats the pants off of the GM folding crank. I do have that one stuffed in the fender hole also along with the Ford smaller crank bottle jack.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very happy with the GM light.
Cord is 5 feet long and will reach past opposite fender.
So changing tires at night or working up front, no more holding flashlights.

I had totally forgotten about these lights until I saw it at the salvage yard.

Think I will get another one or two and install in my newer GM trucks.
Maybe one for the 5 ton.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the GPR1, isn’t there a chance of a blade terminal coming off from vibration?
That style solenoid isn’t typically used as a replacement from what I’ve read here on SS.
There is a retention tab that locks the connector on.

Also, the tabs are just held in place via screws, so you can unscrew the nut, remove the tabs, and use the existing ring connectors if you choose.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed new GP relay today.
Now I will know it’s history and time.
94C2C0E9-6519-4CE0-8D5C-46ACA87DFF8D.jpg
This is the one I used.
Made in USA!!!!

Edit
Forgot to add that this is the exact same one that was on truck when I bought it from Govt.

Last edited:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sunday morning at roughly 3 am, my 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 was vandalized. Thieves attempted to steal it, but didn’t. They didn’t steal anything out of the truck. I called 911, and an officer showed up to write the report. She showed me where they pried the glass against the door frame, shattering it. It was a targeted theft. The cretins cased my neighborhood multiple times in the wee hours of the morning. We deduced that the criminals were unable to start the truck. It’s a 5.7 Hemi gas engine with a 5 speed manual and a clutch interlock. If it were an auto it’d probably been boosted.

I’m getting the glass replaced today for $126.39. My deductible is $500; no point in filing a claim. Right now I have a garbage bag over the opening.

I’m driving my M1009, and counting my blessings that I can use it to get where I need to go. I really love the beast. It’s always there for me. IMG_4696.JPGIMG_4694.jpgIMG_4697.jpgIMG_4702.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_4665.jpg

Last edited:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put on leather gloves and knocked out a lot of the loose pieces. My wife swept the street, and I used my shop vac to get the rest of it. I drove the truck to a local detailing shop. Paid $10 to have them clean all the shards off of the seats, carpet, and door panels. That trip was well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

computer54

I got a new radiator and it had an oil cooler outlets on it and O'Reilly's,Amazon and RockAuto had the same one a CU391 but I had to go to Lowes to get plugs for it so watch what you get because it mite not work.

rustystud

I put on leather gloves and knocked out a lot of the loose pieces. My wife swept the street, and I used my shop vac to get the rest of it. I drove the truck to a local detailing shop. Paid $10 to have them clean all the shards off of the seats, carpet, and door panels. That trip was well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish we had a service like that out here ! When Home Depot broke my rear window it took me weeks to get all the glass out. There probably still is glass laying on the floor somewhere.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to detail cars for a dealership when I was in high school. I knew my shop vac wasn't powerful enough to get all of the shards off of the seats and carpet. I don't have the attachment that gets into the small crevices. I told the crew at the car wash/detailing shop that I know how to do the work, but want to make sure that I don't have shards of glass embedded in my wife's @$$ (she usually rides shotgun in the Dodge). My back is still jacked up from the hurricane, and it hurts too much to bend and twist into the positions necessary to remove all of the shards.

I'm surprised you don't have a detailing shop in your area, Rustystud. I have a handful of them within a 3 mile radius of my house. I picked the closest one. There's also a self service automotive pressure washing place about a mile away. I thought about taking my M1009 over there to remove a layer or two of schmutz that builds up from parking it under an oak.
I saw your posts about HD breaking your glass. aua That information, combined with many other reasons, have convinced me to hit Lowe's instead. I avoid HD.

I wish we had a service like that out here ! When Home Depot broke my rear window it took me weeks to get all the glass out. There probably still is glass laying on the floor somewhere.

Yesterday, the glass technician showed up 30 minutes early. He has 26 years of experience. He did a great job! Here's where it gets interesting. He saw a tinted sliding glass rear window in the dumpster at his shop yesterday morning. Brand new. He pulled it out and put it in his van, unsure as to why anyone would trash it. He looked at the rear window of my Dodge and saw it wasn't privacy glass and isn't a slider. He said, "I might have a replacement rear glass for your truck." He pulled it out, handed it to me, climbed up in the bed of my truck. I handed him the glass. PERFECT FIT! $40 for the slider + $40 for the installation. :shock: :) It's a $400+ piece of glass plus installation. I secretly wanted a slider because I plan on installing a topper. I never told a soul. There's only one being that could've known that. I had no idea that God would bless me with what I wanted, let alone though this situation. In fact I never even asked Him, talked to Him about it, or anything. I just thought it sure would be nice to have it someday. God has a way of showing me that He is listening at the most bizarre moments. I just wanted to share all of this with my SS Brethren. I apologize for the brief thread derailment.
:derailed:

I digress, and return the thread to CUCVs. Mine has served me well, is back home on the Battery Tender, and ready to help me out when I need it. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks