• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

sneekyeye

I bought it from corvette central through amazon. The corvette central part number is 353248. There are several corvette part places that make their variation of it. Zip Corvette sells it as CZ-804. Ecklers corvette its a [SIZE=+1]25-123609-1.[/SIZE]

Its a 1970-1982 frame rail to fuel pump hose. With shipping and all it ran about 20 bucks.

It's 3/8, but also of unknown spec rubber hose, so the jury is out on how long it will hold up.

sandsock

Stud posts, basically just a 3/8" threaded post. They are a lot more common on big rigs. They sell adapters to convert them to a "regular" post, almost the same as the adapters they sell to convert side terminal to a post.
Yep, 3/8x16tpi...had to swing by HD on the way home for the wing nuts to be able to easily disconnect the negatives. I hadn't seen threaded posts like that myself either as other batteries had either the combination of screw post and lug up top (like the 29DC bought from WM for my RV trailer) or side posts like on many cars nowadays. Interstate in Olympia made me the pos cable, crimped the negative connector and did an awesome job

rustystud

Yep, 3/8x16tpi...had to swing by HD on the way home for the wing nuts to be able to easily disconnect the negatives. I hadn't seen threaded posts like that myself either as other batteries had either the combination of screw post and lug up top (like the 29DC bought from WM for my RV trailer) or side posts like on many cars nowadays. Interstate in Olympia made me the pos cable, crimped the negative connector and did an awesome job
All the Semi-trucks and all transit buses use this style. Very positive clamping this way. Actually you are suppose to torque them down. Cannot remember the torque off the top of my head but 150 in Ibs sounds about right. That way you know the battery connection is secure. You know the transit agency I worked for here in King County"sandsock" and how we lost a bus on 6th avenue. We called that bus the "BBQ bus" . A short caused a fire and it burnt to the ground in 15 minutes !

sandsock

A friend from college works "up north" there settling claims for the county and gets all sorts of crazy stuff concerning the buses...traffic accidents, people falling off/walking in front of them, etc.

I was thinking that I should give them a good torque to prevent vibrating loose, so thanks for the tip!

RobM36A2

Back after a lot of work and the Carnaval parade:
About the pump: We spent a good 10 minutes steering from lock to lock, belt tight and routed properly.
Steering did not get any lighter and pump wasn't struggling at the lock positions. Inside of my old pump was replaced, steers like a dream now
Only thing I needed to do when I got home last weekend, was tighten a few hose clamps to stop fluid leaking out and add a little fluid.

It only takes the tiniest bit of air to make it feel inoperative...

You need to swing it lock to lock, left to right, multiple times.. Make sure the belt is tight and routed properly.. It took a couple days to work out the dead spots... I noticed it most at low speeds like pulling into a parking space, but I worked out the air bubbles and it worked great after that.. So.. make sure you spent enough time bleeding it, AND you topped it off after doing so....

I think I spent a good 5 minutes or so just going left to right to left... over and over again....
In other news, truck starts like a dream, swapped out different glow cards, but the initial cold glow cycle takes about 30-40 seconds.. Got a new (2nd hand) card and kept my old one as a spare. Don't want to convert to push-button just yet. Don't even need to push the go-pedal to start.

Had to do some cleaning at my grandparents place, took a full bed of junk to the local dump. Truck didn't even notice the weight.

Read some thing about transmissions in the last few posts.
True that if you take care of them, they take care of you. I change fluid and filter every year.
I start driving when all is still cold, but take it easy until everything warms up. The TH400 is a sturdy transmission.

Volvo740turbo

The problems with our CUCV's is they usually are not daily drivers. A vehicle that is driven normally everyday will last 4X the amount of a vehicle that is only driven on weekends or even worse monthly. That is why a car like "Volvo740turbo" has can have over 300,000 miles on it and still runs. A vehicle that is allowed to sit and have all it's fluids drain down allows rust to creep in. Then when it is run the rust acts like sand paper. This can happen in almost any climate not just moist rainy one's like up here. Also since there is no lube initially it wears prematurely. The daily driver will still have a coating of oil on all it's parts. Preventing rust and allowing some initial lubing. When I was still at IHC back in the 1970's they where at that time the worlds largest producer of diesel engines. They had a company video for mechanics that outlined the benefits of daily use. Or in the case of the diesels in the oil fields, never shutting down. Initial start-up always causes wear, but after a period of inactive use this wear is accelerated. Lets face it, our CUCV's are not luxury vehicles by any stretch of the imagination. When it's cold and rainy outside or snowing the last thing you want to do is drive an old vehicle around. So the poor old CUCV sits and waits till spring before it usually is driven around. Granted there are exceptions, but mostly that is the case.
My cucv, volvo and miata all are daily driven, the cucv is my primary driver ( i use it to deliver pizza) the volvo is there for fun and sits more compared to the other 2 but i run it every few days.

On a side note the cucv has been a daily driver for 6 years now.

And after my 2nd trip to the transmission shop the mam told me " this time " we changed everything i told them to. I see new sealant in places you cant get to without removing the transmission and doing work.....still looking under it out of habbit all the time waiting for it to bleed again. So far so good tho, if i recommend them to anyone else...probably not. But the 2nd time in the shop they made it appear they fixed it correctly

rustystud

A friend from college works "up north" there settling claims for the county and gets all sorts of crazy stuff concerning the buses...traffic accidents, people falling off/walking in front of them, etc.

I was thinking that I should give them a good torque to prevent vibrating loose, so thanks for the tip!
Yeah, being the seventh largest transit agency in the U.S. (over 1400 buses) you hear of a lot of things happening. We average a pedestrian hit about once a month. People just walk right in front of the buss !!!

Merddin

Bought a nice tailgate for $80. Been fighting carriage bolts for two weeks while removing bumpers. Got to get this cucv ready for a new OD paint job. It is pink right now. It will be OD with black bumpers brushguard and mirrors.
Changed oil
New fuel pump after old one shot craps
New fuel filter and a few fuel lines and new hose clamps, made a big difference on loosing fuel prime. Don't forget clamp under intake, mine was very loose.
Cleaned heater fan switch and greased, mine was dirty and got hot which threw my gen 1 light on and burned a fuse. Picked up new fan switch just in case.
Getting ready to change coolant and thermostat. Change differential fluid front and rear and tranny fluid and filter. I think my tranny fluid is from 86, it smelled sour and my dad said it was very old.
New shocks coming soon( Monroe gas magnums).

Last edited:

Volvo740turbo

My cucv, volvo and miata all are daily driven, the cucv is my primary driver ( i use it to deliver pizza)

That's good your driving the CUCV everyday now. The problems come from the person/persons who owned it the last 30 years. Did he/they drive it daily too ?
Yes it was used as an illinois state highway patrol truck previous to my ownership in 2012

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought a nice tailgate for $80. Been fighting carriage bolts for two weeks while removing bumpers. Got to get this cucv ready for a new OD paint job. It is pink right now. It will be OD with black bumpers brushguard and mirrors.
Changed oil
New fuel pump after old one shot craps
New fuel filter and a few fuel lines and new hose clamps, made a big difference on loosing fuel prime. Don't forget clamp under intake, mine was very loose.
Cleaned heater fan switch and greased, mine was dirty and got hot which threw my gen 1 light on and burned a fuse. Picked up new fan switch just in case.
Getting ready to change coolant and thermostat. Change differential fluid front and rear and tranny fluid and filter. I think my tranny fluid is from 86, it smelled sour and my dad said it was very old.
New shocks coming soon( Monroe gas magnums).
......Pink!?!
Pictures?
LOL

rsh4364

Rain stopped, sun came out, 70 degrees. Grabbed a peice of cardboard to lay on and got my bilstein shocks installed. 009232 front, 009331 rears, I like them.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks