• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m thinking about putting a set on my M1008A1.
It doesn’t see the speed and long trips that my vehicles with Michelin’s do.

Post a pic when you get them mounted.

cucvrus

Rolling over something is completely different that hitting something with a sidewall.

I have had the BFGs A/T and was a great tire.
Been running Michelin’s now for years.
Never an issue

Hit a piece of steel on sidewall (driving slower than walking pace) that I could have rolled over easily without trouble.
Sliced it open and ruined tire.
Small piece of angle iron that was hidden in grass.
Had ran over it many times and didn’t know it.

Tires just aren’t built, for obvious reasons, to handle extreme trauma on the sidewall.

I know the specialty off-road tires for rock climbing are much better, but still not as strong as the steel and poly belts for the regular part of tire.
I have the Goodyear MTR Kevlar 31X10.5x15 on a few of my M1009's. I cut a few side walls in the past on rocks during logging and off roading. Never cut an MTR yet. They have some nice scars from being pinched. I think the heavy side walls are the trick. The Goodyear Duratraks have the same HD side wall. I like when the side wall bead protrudes past the rim edge. It adds great protection and has helped the bead from being compromised during air down in mud. I had the BFG Baja claw. Not a huge fan. They were cheap and new so I ran them. better results from the Goodyear's in my experience. Others may vary. Fair enough. Cheap tires are just that nothing more.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You absolutely get what you pay for in tires.

I will have a look at the Goodyear’s you mentioned.

Michelin doesn’t make the tire I want in the size I want so I’m shopping now.

Kaiser67M715

Why would you want it in 4wd? Sure not using 4WD to save fuel.
I think a lot of guys want to be able to do highways speeds (45+ mph) in 4wd, but in my opinion, if you need 4wd to maintain control at that speed, your just going to fast for the conditions anyways.

In my opinion the gear vendors is overpriced for the avaliable options now-a-days, I would much rather spend the money, drop in an nv4500 or a 4l80e with standalone computer for a couple hundred more. No driveshaft changes. Everything bolts on.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Drock

Thanks! Im pretty sure theres no real fabrication. Only the driveshaft shortened. Looks like theres a lot of room underneath. Some people have had to bang out some sheet metal but I dont think so on this. The rest is all bolt up and wire. Pretty impressive packaging and instructions and everything so far. Theyre not heavy on communication compared to what Im used to. But very solid when it comes down to it. Reminds me of old school mail order days. Be patient and its Christmas via U.P.S. :lol:
Make sure to use a torque wrench to install the unit to the extension housing as per the instructions. The studs are a fine thread into cast aluminum and easily stripped out. Also..(unless they updated the instructions) they will call for a discontinued GM gear oil. The new oil you'll need is 1-1/2 bottles of Lucas 75-90 synthetic. And it will need to be changed every 3000 miles. And lastly I was never able to get the 4WD shut off to work correctly (blue wire) so I've always left it unplugged. You'll have to manually turn off the GV before going into 4WD...

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only two?
4 minimum in town.
6 off-road. (Or in my case flying cross country).

Better to have and not need....than need and not have.

rustystud

You absolutely get what you pay for in tires.

I will have a look at the Goodyear’s you mentioned.

Michelin doesn’t make the tire I want in the size I want so I’m shopping now.
Yep that is true. With the tire market so competitive today, when you see a tire going for much more then the others that usually means they added something above normal to it. Like extra ply's.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While rarely needed, I always buy the “E” rated tires. Except on wife’s car. Their not available.
Extra belts and plys are insurance to me.

Installing new set of Michelin’s on the conversion van this Tuesday.
They will be E rated.

They handle the heat and load so much better.
Gives me peace of mind.

MarcusOReallyus

Also..(unless they updated the instructions) they will call for a discontinued GM gear oil. The new oil you'll need is 1-1/2 bottles of Lucas 75-90 synthetic. And it will need to be changed every 3000 miles.

I just looked at the website. They are saying 5,000 miles. Did a little research on the lube requirements, and found this interesting article. Thought you might want to look at it.

3,000 or 5,000, that's still crazy. The cost of the lube wipes out any fuel savings, and probably more.

Drock

I just looked at the website. They are saying 5,000 miles. Did a little research on the lube requirements, and found this interesting article. Thought you might want to look at it.

3,000 or 5,000, that's still crazy. The cost of the lube wipes out any fuel savings, and probably more.
Yeah cool article. The point of an over drive for me wasn't really so much for fuel economy, but just to be able to reliably go 70-80 MPH on the highway while pulling a trailer. Gear vendors must have revamped their instructions sense I bought mine. I had to call their tech line to find out about the gear oil and that's who also told me about the 3000 mile change intervals. I've though about somehow rigging up a filter system, perhaps something using an electric fuel pump plumbed into one of these Frantz filters?http://www.frantzfilters.com/product/universal-kit/

cucvrus

DSCF6509.jpg108.jpg110.jpg111.jpgDSCF6468.jpgDSCF6472.jpgDSCF6473.jpg
I agree 100%. I have the same M1009 for 23 years. It still has 13G glow plugs, Ballast resistors, stock starter relay. Hasn't failed me yet. A few dead batteries here and there. I take it to the Local GM dealer for annual safety inspection and get it serviced there also. I use it hard and maintain it harder. I do have it Line Xed inside. I contribute that to the longevity of the body. Because it sat wet and muddy for a few months at a time over the years. Still sits with the trailer hooked up and ready to work. I have saved a lot of money over the years buying and selling CUCV's. Bought a few brand new 4 X 4 pick ups with the savings. Have a great day. IMHO no changes are needed it works fine in the stock form. It is NOT a modern vehicle. It was never meant to be.

Bighorn

400 = truck trans
700r4 = car trans
The civy blazers came with the 700r4 stock.
My 84 had it.
Deeper 1st gear and overdrive.
With all the updates, they are an excellant transmission.
You can add a manual switch to lock up the torque converter (just jump the wires on the brake pedal converter interrupt) and send them to a dash switch.
But, i would personally keep my th400 the way it is and swap axle gears if I wanted more top end.
As it is; i swapped to 3.73's and 33" tires.
It cruises just fine and climbs better than when it had 3.08's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks