• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

90Jimmy

Spent the better part of my "Day Off" Monday replacing master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders and hard lines...brakes functioning as designed...Priceless!!
Next up, rear window regulator.

cucvrus

Spent the better part of my "Day Off" Monday replacing master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders and hard lines...brakes functioning as designed...Priceless!!
Next up, rear window regulator.
Pay close attention to the sash and window tracks. Clean lube and replace parts as needed. The window can be made to last for years of use if properly maintained and not neglected. It is an antiqued design and only needs real grease and oil. No spray lubes will do it. Good Luck. I have some wonder repairs in my M1009 Mule repair thread. Enjoy.

90Jimmy

Pay close attention to the sash and window tracks. Clean lube and replace parts as needed. The window can be made to last for years of use if properly maintained and not neglected. It is an antiqued design and only needs real grease and oil. No spray lubes will do it. Good Luck. I have some wonder repairs in my M1009 Mule repair thread. Enjoy.
I've removed what seems to be felt that has been separated from something years ago.....I'm assuming the window tracks should have felt in them. If so, can the felt be sourced and replaced keeping original tracks?

cucvrus

DSCF4657.jpg
No thanks I think I'm good now. Feel free to send me a fuel door & flange so I can do my duel fuel tank set up though LOL!:D
Like that one pictured. Get your trading goods ready. I want a detailed drawing of how much panel you need. No whining when I don't send enough. You tell me measurements and I will mark and post before I cut. Deal. Nice expired license plates are my fancy. You pay postage. Deal?

90Jimmy

killing time...being proactive....not sure why, but I decided to clean the dirty looking contacts on my glow plug solenoid. Did them one at a time and got it back together like it came apart. Now.....after about 30 seconds of engine running or key on, the solenoid makes a loud fast clicking noise non stop. I did look around for this problem but only ran across discussions about replacement solenoids. Any thoughts on this operator induced issue would be greatly appreciated.

I had zero glow plug and starting issues before this.....

rustystud

killing time...being proactive....not sure why, but I decided to clean the dirty looking contacts on my glow plug solenoid. Did them one at a time and got it back together like it came apart. Now.....after about 30 seconds of engine running or key on, the solenoid makes a loud fast clicking noise non stop. I did look around for this problem but only ran across discussions about replacement solenoids. Any thoughts on this operator induced issue would be greatly appreciated.

I had zero glow plug and starting issues before this.....
Did you file the old contacts so that they meet perfectly flat ? If they don't they will not hold current and will come loose. Then the whole process is repeated. Thus the "clicking" noise.
Also you didn't use any kind of grease on the contacts did you ? That is a real NO NO !

90Jimmy

Did you file the old contacts so that they meet perfectly flat ? If they don't they will not hold current and will come loose. Then the whole process is repeated. Thus the "clicking" noise.
Also you didn't use any kind of grease on the contacts did you ? That is a real NO NO !
Thank you sir for the reply...no, did not use any grease, just hooked them back up dry. Put the batteries on the trickle charge last night.....no problem this morning. not sure, but maybe low voltage was the cause.

Drock

View attachment 723380

Like that one pictured. Get your trading goods ready. I want a detailed drawing of how much panel you need. No whining when I don't send enough. You tell me measurements and I will mark and post before I cut. Deal. Nice expired license plates are my fancy. You pay postage. Deal?
Deal! all I need is about a 2" birth around the flange. PM me what you need from me..

Kaiser67M715

Replaced my starter bolts with genuine AC Delco bolts.
Noticed that the wrong ones were in there when i rebuilt and converted the starter to 12 volts.
Wierdly, Rock Auto only sells them in a box of 5.
Also soldered up some connections.
Beautiful day in the middle of nowhere.View attachment 723425View attachment 723424
That style also requires a thick flat washer, can't find the part number, and it's not readily available through aftermarket suppliers (i.e. RockAuto) you'll have to go to a dealer, or try Evil-bay.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Bighorn

True.
I reused those washers.
The bolts have a special knurling.
It locates the starter housing.
The housing also has round depressions machined where the washers fit.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced my starter bolts with genuine AC Delco bolts.
Noticed that the wrong ones were in there when i rebuilt and converted the starter to 12 volts.
Wierdly, Rock Auto only sells them in a box of 5.
Also soldered up some connections.
Beautiful day in the middle of nowhere.View attachment 723425View attachment 723424
Amazon also sells them in a box of 5.
Less than $10 a box.

Bighorn

Argh!
Don't tell me that!
Forget what i paid.. but it was more than $10 at RA.
Well..
They are pretty and shiny.
You can see the newly soldered glow plug connectors from under there too.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I washed the 09 his afternoon. The mold was so tough in some places the bristles on the tire scrub-brush couldn't dent it. I had to scrape it off with a plastic putty knife.

sneekyeye

I finished up my installation of the Off Road Design steering brace. A few tips for anyone else. You'll have to oval out the holes in the bracket on the front of the cross member for the front bolts to line back up once you sandwich the front brace in. The rear brace hits the trans cooler hard lines so those will have to be bent. And the hole you have to drill in the front cross member is not centered on the hole that is already there, which caused some consternation and more dremelling. Also you will probably need another half inch bolt since the one I got was too short. The gap between the cross member and rear brace was about a quarter inch and i filled it with washers, causing the bolt they sent to not fit.

Other than that, it looks good anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks