• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Smart guy driving the Impala I see.
The owners thought process about terrain wasn’t working very well.

Hopefully he was grateful you saved the day.

ridenby

Spent a couple of hours removing front axle, replaced tru trac with a Grizzly Locker,some better axles. Replaced engine crossmember with an ORD , replaced motor mounts with ORD,trans with energy suspension mounts. Going to head into replacing power steering pump with PSC, harmonic balancer also.

Attachments

Last edited:

alpine44

Spent a couple of hours removing front axle, replaced tru trac with a Grizzly Locker,some better axles. Replaced engine crossmember with an ORD , replaced motor mounts with ORD,trans with energy suspension mounts. Going to head into replacing power steering pump with PSC, harmonic balancer also.
What are good lockers for M1009 with 3/4 ton front and 1 ton 14 bolt rear axles?

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
removed the electric winch

Recall that the winch was rear mounted. After innumerable discussions about why its on the back and not on the front, I convinced myself that I do not need one at all.

Apart from the discussions, winching is dangerous if not rigged properly (from what I see on youtube "fails") so I would rather not.

Winch + mounting plate + roller fairlead = 92 lbs off the truck.

Last edited:

FrankenCub

What's with the jig you have around the carrier? That's about the only work I haven't done on any of my trucks and the pinion bearings on the front of my 08 are bad, really bad. I hate to do it but I may have to farm that work out.

FrankenCub

This is sounding like an expensive fix lol. Pretty sure I'll also find the ring and pinion to be shot as well. If I'm going that far I might as well dif up a posi out of a dana 60 at the local wrecking yard.

FrankenCub

Gen 1 started giving me fits so I spent a couple hours today troubleshooting. Exciter voltage was a bit low but after cleaing up some of GM's famous LaBrea Tar the voltage was where it's supposed to be. Still doesn't charge but I'm confident it needs at least brushes but going to get everything at NAPA. The only part I can't find a proper part number for is the capacitor. No matches turn up through GM or NAPA for the one listed in the TM. Anyone know a good part number to use?

MarcusOReallyus

FrankenCub

I seen the member here offering the kits, thanks. NAPA is 4 miles away though and more tha likely will have the parts on the shelf. They're great about stuff like this. They cater to a pretty good farming community so they carry more than the average city NAPA.

ridenby

What's with the jig you have around the carrier? That's about the only work I haven't done on any of my trucks and the pinion bearings on the front of my 08 are bad, really bad. I hate to do it but I may have to farm that work out.
Dana 60f needs a "spreader" in order to get the carrier out and in.

ridenby

This is sounding like an expensive fix lol. Pretty sure I'll also find the ring and pinion to be shot as well. If I'm going that far I might as well dif up a posi out of a dana 60 at the local wrecking yard.
You will play hob getting the carrier out with no spreader. I fooled around for a week or so with no positive results,yours may vary.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks