• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Russm

-Decided to get rid of the stock floor mats I’ve had for a long time. Lined the floors with aluminum roof flashing (2.5 rolls) with rattle can bed liner on top of that.
Lowes part # 154017 for anyone interested.
Turned out great. Feels pretty durable.
Used wifey’s old floor mats on top.
(Note: rattle can bed liner dissolves when you accidentally spray it with wd-40)

- Replaced dash backlight with leds. On a bright city street I can actually see my speedo now.

- Replaced front (Dana 60) brakes with ceramic pads. Flushed fluid. I’ve had the truck switched to dot 3/4 for some time. Flushed everything again with Walmart brand dot 4 and brake pedal is rock hard now. Braking feels just like wifey’s new Ram. No more squeaky brakes. Old pads were about half worn but 10+ years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
-Decided to get rid of the stock floor mats I’ve had for a long time. Lined the floors with aluminum roof flashing (2.5 rolls) with rattle can bed liner on top of that.
Lowes part # 154017 for anyone interested.
Turned out great. Feels pretty durable.
Used wifey’s old floor mats on top.
I did the same, but used indoor/outdoor carpet with indoor/outdoor padding....

3410022c.jpg20130311_175716_zps5b7c6b25.jpg20130308_162507_zpse7cc0376.jpg20130307_162758_zpsfc5aae05.jpg
You could actually have a conversation on the highway...

Merddin

Doghead starter relay mod finished. Worked great. Took about an hour and a half. Coated terminals with liquid electric tape, stuff is nice.

New GM ignition cyldylinder with accessory position for radio install( last week).

Mounted corner speakers and figured out where to tap into fuse box for radio. 25 A wiper fuse for accessory lead, and 30 A headlight fuse for memory. The headlight fuse was still on with the service light off, so I guess I'm good. I am using fuse taps. I hope to have tunes soon.

Sprayed undercoating in rear wheel wells after cleaning

cucvrus

New GM ignition cyldylinder with accessory position for radio install( last week).

The lock cylinder does not make you have accessory position. That is something built into the switch mounted under the dash on the steering column. Just want to double check that. Make sure we are all on the same page. I think I am correct. Anyone? 99.9% sure.

corvette9

I dropped my 1028 off at my buddys shop to have a new IP installed. It started leaking pretty bad around the throttle shaft. I know we could have just done the seals but I'm sure it has been a long time since the pump was done.

He took it apart then I took the intake , valve covers, air cleaner and the fuel lines back to my shop to clean and give a coat of new paint. I have no time to do the job myself,and do not want to lean over that long. I'll bring the clean parts back on Thursday so he can get him back together. It is way to hot to drive that truck right now anyhow, so I don't miss it.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The lock cylinder does not make you have accessory position. That is something built into the switch mounted under the dash on the steering column. Just want to double check that. Make sure we are all on the same page. I think I am correct. Anyone? 99.9% sure.

It has an accy position.

All of my CUCVs had it, but I had to convince it to go into accy, as I doubt it ever got used...Once it went into accy., I cycled a couple times and worked fine after that.....

I made the same complaint on the very first CUCV I had and IIRC it was doghead that said something helpful like 'try harder'... hahahah....

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has an accy position.

All of my CUCVs had it, but I had to convince it to go into accy, as I doubt it ever got used...Once it went into accy., I cycled a couple times and worked fine after that.....
Mine was the same, except that little pointer on the column tries to rip my thumbnail off even still. Mine never got much easier either- some days it pops right into ACCY and some days I have to wiggle it repeatedly.

Merddin

Mine would not go into accessory position with original lock cylinder. Whether it was from age, dirt, or disuse, I don't know. I read on the forums that the army didn't have an accessory position on the cylinders. Maybe maybe not. Warthog said the ignition switch was the same as civilian.

So I bought a new Delco lock cylinder for $13 from Amazon. This solved two problems. One, it gave me a useable accessory position. Two, it got rid of the round door key used to start military vehicles, and that fits every other cucv. Now I have a square ignition key like a civi model and all the other cucv driver's cant drive away with my truck. After 30 years it probably was worn anyway.

Now I can turn my key to accessory and get 12v off of the wiper fuse via a fuse tap for my radio. Also the wipers will turn on with key in accessory.

Last edited:

Merddin

Got center speaker mounted after some minor modification. Next moved along and got radio mounted in dash. Had to drill one hole for a bolt to mount the stereo support bracket. Got stereo situated like I want after comparing to stereo in my k10 truck. Leaving town Thursday for Bluegrass music and camping, so radio hookup should be Monday.
Outer speakers mounted- done, center dual channel speaker mounted- done, radio mounted-done, accessory power- done
All I have to do is hook memory wire to 12v unswitched, hook up accessory wire, hook up ground wire, and then hook up speaker wires. Then if the cucv God's have mercy on my poor soul, I will have a radio.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
24 bolt wheels & load range E tires

They "came off" an up-armored Humvee. After finding out that the Blazer weighs a porky 6120 lbs, I decided I want more margin. I liiiike margin.
24 bolts.jpgmore bolts.jpg

RobM36A2

Did the manual glowplug conversion today.
First, did a lot of reading in the "helpful" sticky.

After connecting the light blue relay and dark blue "wait" light wires to the button and to ground, I can start the truck again.
When pushing the button, the glow relay kicks in and the "wait" light goes on.

It is a bit of a redneck solution and I have to reach under the dash, but the starting has improved a lot.
An easier to reach pushbutton will be installed later on. This one can't be pushed in by accident.
As it is way under the dash, it also doubles as a sort of theft protection.

Foto 07-07-18 14 37 22.jpg

Yes, I know the scotchblocks are not an ideal solution, but it works.
The glowplug controller is removed, since it is not needed anymore. (still have it)

I do like my compact design and the use of the controller wires for the conversion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks