• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Keith_J

I diagnosed the hot running issue as a sluggish thermostat, it only opened 3/16" of an inch. Should be 1/4 of the diameter of the valve, about 1/2" in this case.

When I was removing it, I snapped the upper bolt. I need the truck so I drilled it out 1/4" and used a stainless steel 1/4" x 20 bolt with nut. I will dissolve the rest with alum when this seasonal madness ends.

Keith_J

I replaced the air cleaner to intake manifold gasket ;)

Don 't laugh, I'm working 5-11s now thanks to the season of getting. No time to do much.

What I have planned after Festivus are the following:

Thermostat replace
Coolant bypass/vent
Injection pump timing bump
Cooling system flush
Intake port and polish
Rear brake modulator modify to manual control
Lighting system for the SECM box
Air compressor system upgrade with larger motor pulley and additional reservoir
Tank racks for oxygen, acetylene and argon
Hose and cable reels for welding gear
Rodent proofing the box
Repaint
Heated mirrors
Fix the air conditioning (leaking hose)

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I chased away a methhead trying to steal my LED fog lights on my M1031...

Heard a ratcheting outside, go outside to see $%#^$ with a ratchet unbolting my lights... Had one off, but still connected....

Dude had the $^$# to say 'I wasn't doing anything'....

Ratchet in hand... light hanging by a wire from my grille....in front of my truck, but 'not doing anything'..... Took every effort not to shoot the #^$#^$

He dashes to his car and speeds away... Of course, PD say nothing can be done and be happy I interrupted him...but be careful because he might pull a knife... I kinda was hoping he would..It'd make the paperwork easier....and I'd feel better I made the world a safer place..

So, today, I bolted the light back up on my M1031...:D

rustystud

I chased away a methhead trying to steal my LED fog lights on my M1031...

Heard a ratcheting outside, go outside to see $%#^$ with a ratchet unbolting my lights... Had one off, but still connected....

Dude had the $^$# to say 'I wasn't doing anything'....

Ratchet in hand... light hanging by a wire from my grille....in front of my truck, but 'not doing anything'..... Took every effort not to shoot the #^$#^$

He dashes to his car and speeds away... Of course, PD say nothing can be done and be happy I interrupted him...but be careful because he might pull a knife... I kinda was hoping he would..It'd make the paperwork easier....and I'd feel better I made the world a safer place..

So, today, I bolted the light back up on my M1031...:D
Deleted

Last edited:

Keith_J

Pulled the coolant crossover/thermostat housing to remove the broken bolt. I had drilled it out 1/4" to through bolt/nut as a stopgap measure, now it is boiling in alum (potassium aluminum sulfate) which dissolves iron but is harmless to aluminum. It is working, just a bit too slow.

I confirmed the thermostat is indeed sluggish. I could only get it to open about 3/16" in boiling water. With flame, it opened fully but is now stuck. This explains full load overheating when running wide open with the air conditioning on. No evidence of oil or exhaust gas in coolant. No water in the oil either. I do need to clean the cooling system, there is a bit of scale on the ends of the tubes when looking down the pressure cap opening.

Later today, the coolant bypass system will be installed. Along with a lighting system for the interior of the M1031 box. 4 strip lights from Amazon, 20 bucks and change.

Keith_J

Didn't have enough alum to dissolve the broken bolt in the crossover to thermostats cover. Its a 10-1.5 metric so helicoil fixed. Got the Paradox rear coolant bypass installed. Needed a 1/4" NPT nipple and coupling to clear the governor for the PTO generator.1203181425.jpg

I had to swap lines due to this difference. But it works.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven’t done a thing to mine.
Haven’t even seen it in 3 weeks.
Temporarily assigned in Northern California with flying and really miss my M1008A1.

My wife sent pics of her driving it.
........made the CUCV withdrawals worse.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Temporarily assigned in Northern California with flying and really miss my M1008A1.

Hey at least your wife loves your truck too!!

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Hey at least your wife loves your truck too!!
Why do I feel a country song coming on?!?!?

'I was away, and when I got home...
The CUCV and the dog were gone'

:shrugs:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Naw you're wrong 'bout that!
Don't know about the dog but SHE and the CUCV will still be there!!
Definitely

When our wife’s last met, they both had me laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.
Especially when they were imitating us justifying our latest surplus purchase to them.

Yea.
Keepers both.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely

When our wife’s last met, they both had me laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.
Especially when they were imitating us justifying our latest surplus purchase to them.

Yea.
Keepers both.
Naw you're wrong 'bout that!
Don't know about the dog but SHE and the CUCV will still be there!!
All meant in fun! :grin:

Swfb

20181208_182106.jpg

I have recently replaced the seized engine of my m1008 by an used one. And when its cold it smokes a bit....

I only do not understand why it smokes that bad out of 1 of the 2 exhaust and the other side is almost clean.

Does anybody have a clue where to search for or what to adjust?

Kaiser67M715

Check glowplugs, remove, apply power and see how they react. Correct ohms does not always mean it's good.

A compression check could say something too.

Weak injectors, or weak injection pump could also be a factor.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Swfb

Check glowplugs, remove, apply power and see how they react. Correct ohms does not always mean it's good.

A compression check could say something too.

Weak injectors, or weak injection pump could also be a factor.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
Thanks, I shall test or replace all the parts with those of my old engine. They worked all good. Except the oil pump...

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 750188
I have recently replaced the seized engine of my m1008 by an used one. And when its cold it smokes a bit....
I only do not understand why it smokes that bad out of 1 of the 2 exhaust and the other side is almost clean.
Does anybody have a clue where to search for or what to adjust?
Put a can of Seafoam additive in your tank and 1 can each the next few tanks.
It will clean up dirty injectors and improve the entire fuel system.

You might have other issues but the seafoam will not hurt anything.

Swfb

Also started to testfit a turbo setup which I bought from SS. Only thing I saw, it has no wastegate. The turbos I have owned in the past all had an wastegate so I could change the pressure.

Should I add an external wastegate to this setup? And how and where should I put it? If someone has picks of his setup please share so I can copy it.20181202_151527.jpg20181208_120006.jpg20181202_151547.jpg

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks