• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Miah

Nothing too drastic due to weather. Over the weekend i finally installed my black Delco turn signal stalk to replace the original highly worn chrome one & today i picked up a couple of proper Exide Group31 batteries from the local large truck GMC dealership since they had a heck of a deal on them.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Received my NP241 transfer case from Mark Bendler at Kodiak Trucks in Wisconsin. Completely rebuilt with Tom Wood's Slip Yoke Eliminator and correct speedometer cable attachment. More photos and details in my rebuild thread over in the CUCV Modification forum.

DSC_0770 (2).JPG

Started installing troopseats on my M1008. Got two sets from a surplus yard. One had fiberglass sides and sets but metal was not in the best shape. The other had good metal but old wood. Stripped one Nd repainted it and put the fiberglass sides on. Next will be the seats, can't wait to get it all together.

Attachments

Miah

Weather was good did a little tinkering. Pulled the 2 antenna off the hood a PO installed & then found my plastic body plugs weren't the right size & that the local parts stores don't stock them at all. Guess i'll have to deal with a couple round holes in the hood for time being until i can measure & order something online.

Next I started on removing spare power wiring in the engine bay for the radios associated with said antenna then cleaning & replacing battery cables in prep for installing my Group31 batts. Got the extra wiring into the cabin for time being. Found a couple cables i'd like to outright replace & then found the local parts stores don't stock much over 4 gauge. Guess i'll have to track down a parts place that stocks cables for OTR trucks to get at least a decent cable locally.

Finally was cleaning up the bus bars & found that the 15599225 capacitor strap was burned up, so snagged one real quick off my spare parts truck then did some searching here & found i don't really need it anyways since it's to do with the radio system????

Lot of piddly time, not much progress.

911joeblow

This week I have been working on the cooling system. Was hoping to just flush out the radiator, replace hoses, add my Paradox By Design cooling it and refill with new coolant. After draining the radiator, it was looking like it would need to be boiled out. Took it down to the radiator shop and found it was going to need the core replaced. Awaiting that to be completed.

Worked on swapping over to the Humvee crossover tube which allows an easier hookup for the Paradox By Design cooling kit. Got the rear cooling port changed over to the ones in the kit and hooked up the lines that go up to the crossover. Not pictured but I also swapped the oil sender to my new Speedhut gauges one. Once I get the radiator back, I can finish this all up with new hoses and ELC coolant.

Also removed the hitch and sold it to another member.

View attachment 786816

View attachment 786817

View attachment 786818

View attachment 786823

View attachment 786820

View attachment 786824

View attachment 786826

View attachment 786827

View attachment 786828
Looks good Buddy!

Miah

Got my other group31 battery in the Blazer & hooked up new military style battery terminals & a couple new heavy duty cables. Only things i'm not super fond of on these is the 3/8 bolt & nut that secures the cables to the terminals is just so freaking long. Realize it's so a person can mount multiple cables to each terminal, but it's still a bit overkill for me.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took advantage of truck being a cab and chassis and replaced the fuel tank sending unit.

My gauge was not very reliable. It would read near full and then about 1/3 tank. Even when the truck would be near empty the gauge would read not read empty.

The tank was pretty clean on the inside and the fuel was clean. Now the gauge appears to be more accurate.

edpdx

Changed the Transmission Fluid/Filter/Gasket. Went pretty smooth, but hoped it would cure the low power the '09 was having- even low hills quickly reduce my speed to 45 MAX MPH. I thought maybe clogged filter or leaky trans filter tube. NOPE.

I'm changing the spin on to an AC Delco base. The spin on I had showed ZERO fuel pressure. The IP is a year old as are the injectors. The GloPlugs are a little older (60G). Transmission is new and the VRV seems happy where it's set (new as well). The Vacuum pump is less than a year. No vac leaks, but still, it runs doggy under highway load or pulling the slightest hill. After I get the new Fuel filtr installed, I'llsee about replacing the steel line that runs from the fuel lift pump to the filter- I managed to put a crimp in the steel line wrestling it onto the the fuel pump- got a replacement from HILLBILLY WIZARD.

Any ides on what else I can look at are welcome. Oh a little gray smoke at cold starts and then it goes away.

Ed

FrankenCub

Trashed my transmission today. Outfrigginstandin! Left it's mark at a Dr appointment today so topped it off. By time I was half way home it dumped everything on I81. Wife brought a bunch of fluid to me to limp it home, figuring it was blowing from the pump area. It was talking crap to me and getting louder. Pretty sure the pump was letting go and can't afford a tow so let's run with it lol. Wife ended towing me the last 4 miles with her Jeep, she wasn't impressed lol. It locked up when I coasted it into it's parking spot.
Lots of good used T-400s around. Maybe the 4sp granny low would be an option too. I like manuals.

cucvrus

Less expensive to get a TH400 overhauled. That SM465? is not made for a CUCV. Way to low of gearing. I had a friend go that way and hated the truck after that. But I wouldn't just put a used transmission in it. Get it gone over at a competent shop first, Never look back. the days of good old boy overhauls are long over for me. If I don't have a PHD in it I let it up to professionals. What I miss and over look always ends up more expensive and fatal in the long run. Best use of CASH is wisely. Let it parked till you can fix it right. Good Luck.

FrankenCub

I thought the SM465 had the same 3rd gear ratio, could have been mistaken. I do believe the output shafts are different though as they were usually in front of NP205.
As for a rebuild, we cut things extremely tight here as it is with expenses so that's not going to happen.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I swapped out the studded tires for the regular ones after work last night. While I had the back wheels off I wanted to see how bad the rear brakes are; IOW, I know they're bad, just don't know if I need to order new drums or not.

Cant get the drums off! I'm pretty sure they're just held on by the lug-nuts, and if so I think they're fused to the hub with corrosion.

What are the tricks to get the drum off? I whaled on it with a hammer briefly, without effect, but since that wasn't the mission I put it off until later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks