• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Charge the battery asap. A discharged battery left discharged will be permanently damaged in short order.
I had the charger on immediately and left it going all night. When I left for work in the morning I took it off (it's not an auto) and later in the day when I got home it started right up like normal.

The bad news is that my alternator that was supposed to be delivered FEDEX yesterday was rescheduled to "pending" whatever that means. It was last seen when rockauto dropped it off in Anaheim CA on the 15th, and there's no movement since. So it's either lost or lost track of. :mad:

Rex1977

I just moved back home and saw my old M1009 still sitting under the carport where I left it back in 2009. I felt a little ashamed for leaving it there all these years. I dug around a bit to find the key. I opened her up and popped the hood. I should have taken pics of the huge rat nests under the hood you could not even see the engine and the glove box was full also. Disgusted, I got the shop vac out and started the eviction process and cleaned her up pretty good lol. So
Air filter toast, new installed
Batteries 0 voltage, 2 new installed
Wipers had turned to dust, 2 new installed
Fuel had been stolen WTF, fresh added
Then it was time to give her a whirl.
She fired right up, after it had a chance to get fuel in the lines. Throttle body and cable were sticking so the first start and run was a short one but she is alive again.
Tires were dry rotted and cracked to hell but still holding air, 5 new on order.
That’s it for now

Rex1977

I just moved back home and saw my old M1009 still sitting under the carport where I left it back in 2010. I felt a little ashamed of myself for just leaving it there all these years. I dug around a bit to find the key. I opened her up and popped the hood. I should have taken pics of the rat nests under the hood you could not see the engine and the glove box was full to. Disgusted I got the shop vac and started the eviction process and cleaned her up pretty good lol.
Air filter toast, new installed
Batteries toast, 2 new installed
Wipers had turned to dust, 2 new
Fuel was stolen, fresh added

Rex1977

Pictures are nice :)
You will have to settle for during and after pics later. I think she is cleaning up pretty good except for a small rusted out spot on a rear quarter panel
.16E80000-1548-40A3-BCC8-952A67BAFED6.jpegD979477F-5C58-4760-8E0B-302C7C11906A.jpeg

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally had one of my Hawker battery’s die.
7 years old (I’ve had them 5) and I tried everything to bring it back.
It will not hold a charge. Voltage drops to 11.4 after sitting overnight.

The other one is still fine.
Truck still started, just a bit slower.
After running truck for a while I noticed the dying battery would get hot.
Alternators running normal voltage.

So finally yesterday I installed new battery’s using the adapter plates and it worked out fine.
Didn’t have to make new cables or anything.
Ready for winter now.

I also bought a new Solargizer.
Have had one installed for 5 years but the new one is a lot bigger and higher wattage.
Also gives me the ability to check status of battery’s with the push of a button.
(voltmeter works too).
More power to the battery’s with the larger panel.

Took about 20 minutes and killed by lower back lifting the 90lb Hawkers out

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter

So finally yesterday I installed new battery’s using the adapter plates and it worked out fine.
Ready for winter now.

Have had one installed for 5 years but the new one is a lot bigger and higher wattage.
Also gives me the ability to check status of battery’s with the push of a button.
(voltmeter works too).

Thanks for your post. Looks like a clean engine compartment.
Please post more information on the batteries and Solargizer in case other SS members would like to do the same upgrade.

cucvrus

Ready for winter now.

(voltmeter works too).

You do know that the battery retainer studs are adjustable and can be moved in to support and attach group 24 batteries. The nuts 1/4 X 20 are captured in the battery trays for that purpose. The group 24 size batteries (A C Delco 1111 ) AC 1111.jpg were what came from the factory. The reason for the large trays was to accommodate the military 6TL batteries. I am just pointing this out so other do not think the spacers are required to install the group 24 batteries. Also make sure the batteries are secured and the brackets are all present. If your batterie hold down studs are in poor condition and many are. Just use 1/4" X 20 threaded rod and cut them to length. Good Luck and Be Safe. I also highly recommend that the braces are in place on the top of the battery hold downs. I have seen a few batteries hanging on the wheel well. DSCF5963.JPGDSCF5961.JPG These do NOT count as battery hold downs on a CUCV. DSCF5948.JPG Good Luck my friends.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run Optima Red Tops in everything vehicle I own, with the exception of the new trucks with factory batteries.
My travel trailer has a blue top installed.

The ones I installed in the CUCV are model 34/78.
Model 34 will work also. That is the top post only model.

I know I could have installed them without the adapter plate, but they were cheap and I didn’t have to adjust anything.
Perfect fit.
These Adapter Plates are made exactly for this reason. To use optima battery’s in place of the 6TAGMs that are twice the price and weight.
Adapter Plate NSN 6160-01-453-0858.

I prefer the look of the 6TAGMs but I’m not paying $570 each.
Edit: I ended up doing this anyway

This setup works for me.

The new Solargizer hasn’t been installed yet.
I know it’s not a charger and only a maintainer.
My original one has performed great for the last 5 years.
Just wanted a larger, more powerful new one with the new batteries.
Would have installed it already, but have been preparing things for a winter storm coming in tonight.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I run Optima Red Tops in everything vehicle I own, with the exception of the new trucks with factory batteries.
My travel trailer has a blue top installed.

The ones I installed in the CUCV are model 34/78.
Model 34 will work also. That is the top post only model.

I know I could have installed them without the adapter plate, but they were cheap and I didn’t have to adjust anything.
Perfect fit.
These Adapter Plates are made exactly for this reason. To use optima battery’s in place of the 6TAGMs that are twice the price and weight.
Adapter Plate NSN 6160-01-453-0858.

I prefer the look of the 6TAGMs but I’m not paying $570 each.

This setup works for me.

The new Solargizer hasn’t been installed yet.
I know it’s not a charger and only a maintainer.
My original one has performed great for the last 5 years.
Just wanted a larger, more powerful new one with the new batteries.
Would have installed it already, but have been preparing things for a winter storm coming in tonight.
Are the black pieces on top of the batteries part of the adapter? That front battery is not very secure with that set up. I see so many CUCV's with the batteries unsecure and without the upper covers and braces. That front battery could easily slide forward and if allowed to slip around unknowing create a dead short. With studs moved inward the battery would be more secure. Did you know the fender bracket flange is adjustable to accommodate the shorter smaller batteries and get them mounted more secure and squarely in place? Just mentioning that for others in the same situation. Take Care and Be Safe.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are pieces of rubber I cut to take up the gap since the tops of the optima’s aren’t perfectly flat.
Military does same thing and it’s not part of the kit.
That’s the only thing I don’t like about this install.
Still beats the cost of new Hawkers.

I know it doesn’t look it, but the front battery is rock solid. The adapter plate, with its large footprint and snug fit, provides stability.
There’s no moving or sliding at all.
Top bracket really holds it down

I will eventually get another set of the 6TAGMs.

The regular 6T batteries are much cheaper but don’t want to have to keep checking water levels.

Last edited:

faststandard

Sold the original 31x10.5 tires that came with our recent M1009 purchase (previous owner had installed brand new 33x12.5s). My son is working/saving his money so that we can purchase new front end parts (tie rod ends/ball joints/axle universal joints. More to come.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well........
I had just installed two red tops (with 6T adapters) last week since one of my original Hawkers had died.

Truck starts great.
No issues but.....Just didn’t like the way it looked.

So today I picked up two brand spanking new Hawker 6TAGMs.
Will install tomorrow

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed new Hawkers today.

Since I had batteries out, I also installed a new set of glow plugs.
AC60Gs
Much easier with the batteries out on the passenger side.
Didn’t need to but with winter coming and the other set at least two years old why not

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks