• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

These are the civilian equivalent to the Hawkers.
Excellent battery and just as good as a Hawker from what I’ve heard.

You get what you pay for in battery’s has been my experience.

My M1008A1 seems to spin over now just a tad faster than when the Optimas were installed.
Glad I sold my 5 tons, wife would kill me for getting 4 of those!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love my 6dt lead acid that I can maintain. I can't see why I'd need anything else. I have no plans of flipping the truck over.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It’s all personal preference.

I bought a set (4) of the 6T lead acid batterys for one of my 5 tons.
Will never do it again.
Total pain always checking water levels and worried about corrosion from the fumes.

I know the Hawkers are twice the price but for me, the piece of mind it gives me is worth it.
That’s just my preference.

Bigbondo007

It’s all personal preference.

I bought a set (4) of the 6T lead acid batterys for one of my 5 tons.
Will never do it again.
Total pain always checking water levels and worried about corrosion from the fumes.

I know the Hawkers are twice the price but for me, the piece of mind it gives me is worth it.
That’s just my preference.
I keep 2 gallons of distilled water for golf cart battery maintenance anyway, and always have baking soda laying around for the same. It takes 5 minutes of my time once a month when I do the golf cart.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

cucvrus

I thought that stock shoes on a cucv were 31" x 10.5" x 15". Am I missing something?
No you are correct. 31 X 10.5 x 15 are stock. I just wanted to run some brand new LT23575R15 snow tires on a set of stock civilian narrow wheels for the sake of doing it. They worked great in the mud and swampy areas. But in the rocks they were a sad disappointment. I ran most of the day on 3 tires because I constantly had flat tires at Rausch Creek in the rock piles. Just saying the stock set up wheels great. if I sprung for a set of new tire again and I wanted to off road/on road I would go with the Goodyear MTR in stock size. I think they are the best all around tires I have ever owned on a CUCV. Ran many sets of them.

Cory1337

Trucked died a mile from home a couple weeks ago...Wouldn't restart, had to push a dodge truck home with a chain...aua
I'd been planning to replace all the rubber fuel lines. The one from the tank to the steel line across the back of the cab was in bad shape. The steel line was cut/bent up by the previous owner. So I ran new rubber from the fuel tank to the steel lines on the frame. Purged the air out of the system, and she started right up. I think I've been sucking air this whole time... Truck runs much smoother!

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I decided to ditch the v-belts for my Navistar block and go serpentine. To do so, I made a template for a dual alternator bracket, digitized it and had it cut. Perfect fit. Cut from 10mm thick plate (about 3/8"). Bit much I think, but the belt clears it. Now I need to figure out how to make these alternators isolated ground. The block I used to test fit (97 6.5, not the Navistar) has an AC pump in place, but there will be a AC bypass pulley there.

IMG_20201111_021226.jpg IMG_20201111_021234.jpg

Also re-designed the glow plug harness on my K1500. From the relay it splits up to 2 4-way fuse blocks wit 20A fuses for each glow plug then goes on to the plugs. Wiring is 2,5mm², about 10 or 11 gauge and high temp. I kinda copied the harness sold by Quadstar Tuning, well, tried to.

At first I used nylon mesh, but it didn't look good so I'm ordering some flexible corrugated tubing to finish it. Might've worked if I chose a wire color to match the nylon mesh. Also tried the same connectors Quadstar uses, didn't like them so I used regular insulated spade connectors.

Only took one picture, will take some more tomorrow. If I don't forget...

IMG-20201110-WA0055.jpeg

I'll run it for a bit and if I'm happy with it, I'll make a second harness for the Navistar.

Attachments

Thatwelderguy88

had a case of the glow plug blues. Previous owner never maintained the GP system in the truck so i spent the last few nights slowly bringing the system back to life. I installed new 60g plugs, and if fires up for the first time that i know of without the yellow can received_382374386542306.jpeg:oops:

Keith_J

Installed an electric heater control valve. Couldn't find something I liked so I used a stainless ball valve with a motor actuator and a momentary contact double pole, double throw switch with two indicator lights.

It takes 10 seconds to go from full open, red light on to full closed orange light on. So I can adjust heat output easily.

I installed the coolant filter as a bypass on the heater circuit. My coolant now stays clean.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks