• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

INFChief

Pressure washed her. Spent a couple of hours trying to get in every nook & cranny but that wasn’t possible. Still, she’s clean. Used some degreaser on the diffs, driveshafts, and other places that oil & grease accumulate.

Bought oil and will change out the engine oil & filter in the next few days.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished installing and finished calibrating my bird's-eye view camera system. I also realized the radio rack previously located behind the passenger seat can be disassembled and reused as seat bracket adapters to fit any size seat. It just so happens to fit perfectly in either direction on the built-in seat posts! Install it the narrow direction going forward and back in case you need to position the seat more forward or back. Install it the narrow direction going left and right in case your seat is wider than the seat posts allow. Leave one corner bracket on each side to bolster to the curve of the wheel well.

Sent from my S62 Pro using Tapatalk

INFChief

Finished installing and finished calibrating my bird's-eye view camera system. I also realized the radio rack previously located behind the passenger seat can be disassembled and reused as seat bracket adapters to fit any size seat. It just so happens to fit perfectly in either direction on the built-in seat posts! Install it the narrow direction going forward and back in case you need to position the seat more forward or back. Install it the narrow direction going left and right in case your seat is wider than the seat posts allow. Leave one corner bracket on each side to bolster to the curve of the wheel well.

Looks nice & clean!
Bunch of questions became I have a 3 channel (3 camera system) I would like to install.
1) Do you have just the one camera or do you have 2 or 3?
2) If it’s just one for now can you add on additional cameras in the future?
3) I know there are a variety of camera systems out there - but do they record & Dave footage? Any idea how much footage they save?

Again, nice work!

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks nice & clean!
Bunch of questions became I have a 3 channel (3 camera system) I would like to install.
1) Do you have just the one camera or do you have 2 or 3?
2) If it’s just one for now can you add on additional cameras in the future?
3) I know there are a variety of camera systems out there - but do they record & Dave footage? Any idea how much footage they save?

Again, nice work!
This was the camera system I used, it has four cameras. The left and right cameras activate with the turn signal and the rear camera activates based on the backup light. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010I2QBF2?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title.
I had to use time to lay relays to keep the signals active since the turn signals get their power from a flashing unit and there's no way to get a solid signal from the turn signals.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071XNY72Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title.
The camera system has a ridiculous amount of camera wire basically enough for one of those really long bendy buses. One cool feature is you can send a photo you take from a drone or a photo you got online of what your truck looks like from above and they'll send you a file to make it look like that and the bird's eye view.

Also I'm not a proponent of Amazon or cheap Chinese crap however I couldn't find these for a decent price elsewhere and I couldn't afford the ones I really wanted to get. Also I didn't want to accidentally break down my fence again like I did the first time I backed up near it!

INFChief

This was the camera system I used, it has four cameras. The left and right cameras activate with the turn signal and the rear camera activates based on the backup light. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010I2QBF2?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title.
I had to use time to lay relays to keep the signals active since the turn signals get their power from a flashing unit and there's no way to get a solid signal from the turn signals.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071XNY72Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title.
The camera system has a ridiculous amount of camera wire basically enough for one of those really long bendy buses. One cool feature is you can send a photo you take from a drone or a photo you got online of what your truck looks like from above and they'll send you a file to make it look like that and the bird's eye view.

Also I'm not a proponent of Amazon or cheap Chinese crap however I couldn't find these for a decent price elsewhere and I couldn't afford the ones I really wanted to get. Also I didn't want to accidentally break down my fence again like I did the first time I backed up near it!

I reckon you have a monitor in the cab. I’m wondering if you could access your cameras via WI-FI and your phone? Can you activate your cameras separately from the back-up circuit or turn signals? I would like a system where the cameras are always on and they record & store a more than adequate amount of footage in case of an accident. For example, within 150 miles of a 300 mile trip someone hits me & I captured it on camera. Can I download that segment or will the system save a certain amount of data?
Speaking of drones, I wonder if a camera on a drone could be connected to the system in the truck? Maybe the 3rd or 4th channel in the system?

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I reckon you have a monitor in the cab. I’m wondering if you could access your cameras via WI-FI and your phone? Can you activate your cameras separately from the back-up circuit or turn signals? I would like a system where the cameras are always on and they record & store a more than adequate amount of footage in case of an accident. For example, within 150 miles of a 300 mile trip someone hits me & I captured it on camera. Can I download that segment or will the system save a certain amount of data?
Speaking of drones, I wonder if a camera on a drone could be connected to the system in the truck? Maybe the 3rd or 4th channel in the system?
Unfortunately this system is not so sophisticated. It does not have wireless capability. It does however output to the crappy little monitor that it comes with the via HDMI, so there might be an HDMI receiver that it could plug into that could have Wi-Fi capability. There might be systems on the market that already have that capability but I'm sure they would be much more expensive. The system shows surround view and front camera view as you're driving but each individual camera can be activated by the little remote that comes with. It saves the recording and segments and puts them on a thumb drive which you can remove that's attached to a remote cable. You can then stick that in a computer and watch them at any time. You can probably plug that USB cable into some sort of computer or wireless hard drive which you can access remotely as well.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A good update for the toolbox next to the hydraulic controls is to use this latch. Just file out the opening with the latch housing as a guide, or use a punch for the round with flat sides that the latch needs. Make sure you don't just drill a hole for the diameter of the lock barrel. I had to flatten out the lock arm and file the end of it for it to fit right. I did this update because my latch mechanism and lock tabs were flattened and twisted and ruined
Sarasota Quality Products LL902 Stainless Steel Lock Latch.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A good update for the toolbox next to the hydraulic controls is to use this latch. Just file out the opening with the latch housing as a guide, or use a punch for the round with flat sides that the latch needs. Make sure you don't just drill a hole for the diameter of the lock barrel. I had to flatten out the lock arm and file the end of it for it to fit right. I did this update because my latch mechanism and lock tabs were flattened and twisted and ruined
Sarasota Quality Products LL902 Stainless Steel Lock Latch.

Thanks @serpico760 !

I couldn't help having to do a quick search to see if I could find the lock that you specified. It was easy. Amazon. Picture below

Sarasota Quality Products LL902 Stainless Steel Lock Latch @ Amazon.jpg

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes that's the one I got that would be nice to find a seller other than Amazon so we can stop making Jeff bezos even richer than he is!

Cheaper shipping.

Digger440

Last weekend was a trip to the airport for 5606 hydraulic fluid so I could bleed my system. I got it all working and got my spare in its rightful place.

This weekend will be putting the correct hold down strap on the spare, removing the troop seats, putting a rebuild kit in the air protection valve, and planning a Warn 18k install.

Old news to everyone else but new to me, I may spring for a set of the MME door handle/cup holders which are awesome. I was just going to put some marine gimbaled drink holders on the front of the heater panel.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I designed, printed, from nylon with carbon fiber infill, and installed a custom mount ring to mount a truck light series 44 LED backup light into the standard military backup light housing.

I also did more work on the seat adapter brackets made from the radio shelf.

Third From Texas

Someone could sell a ^%&*-ton of rings by designing and printing a ring faceplate that would allow a standard round LED light (amber or red) to be mounted into the OEM brake/turn signal housing pods (front or rear).

Instead of people having to pay $175-$300 PER LIGHT to a surplus scalper, you snag a $25 round LED set off Amazon and pop it into the OEM housings (deleting the blackout stuff of course, which 99.99999% of us don't need on these trucks). Hell, my blackouts have been disconnected since I bought this truck.

I'd buy a set tomorrow if someone were selling them . Well a community member, not an <insert_point_of_compass_surpluse_scalper>.

Hell, if someone just got the dimensions of the adaptor you could have them printed online.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a fantastic idea!, And did I mention I'm extremely good at reverse engineering? Anyway I've hurt my foot and don't feel like working on my truck, at least I can stand long enough to disassemble one of those so I can start reverse engineering it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks