• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

coachgeo

nothing special.... replaced double check valve that is usual culprit for front emergency glad hand pissing air with park brake off. Seemed to solve the issue. Stayed with diaphragm type since shuttle type requires horizontal mounting. Thought shuttle type might not work as well when truck is at angles. On the valve used; the rebuild end is removed via bolts instead of a giant nut with airline at business end... right in middle of it so that airline must come off. This is same vale made by Haldex used all over these trucks.

Way it looks, in this particular spot, one could with the cab up.. tuck a mirror deep in and remove the bolts and cover... pull cover and its airline out of way and rebuild by looking thru mirror. The other valves (Haldex as described above) that are in this area (behind washer tank) are mounted 180 degrees out of the top one thus will be easier to get to for on board rebuilding. Got a rebuild kit coming in to have handy when needed for the new valve... hopefully 20yrs down the road.. Need to get a good number of the Haldex rebuild kits for the rest. As hard as it is to remove old brass fittings.. if they are not leaking would rather not mess with removing them which is required if your going to replace with a new valve. Knowing removing the brass will screw some of them up.. am thinking rebuilding while still mounted on truck is an advantage cause you only remove one airline, Remove giant nut... clean it out... rebuild. Much easier than remove all brass esp. when you don't have a garage, much less a vice anyway. Besides... beside vice will possibly damage the valve housing anyway.. been there bent that.

Also added some length of wire into the harness that runs to the low pressure warning switch on the valve was working on. The wire really gets tugged on hard when the cab is all the way up. Probably why end of wire broke off as was removing nut.

beside that mounted a harbor freight truck bed crane on my M105a and used that to load some waste gravel/cement to fill the ruts next to my house.... guess should add that adventure to the other... "what have you done WITH" thread.

Last edited:

agazza2

Auto/Manual cooling fan valve - Burkett original

" Updated post for clearness that this is a "Auto/Manual" solution for the cooling fan to come on.

Had some issues with the Burkett "auto" fan air solenoid working and allowing the cooling fan to run at the right time. At first I would pull over and take off the airline to the fan to release the air pressure and the fan would start working again. This was on my way up to the Overland Expo. After hearing this was happening to 1951M1078 I also decided to look for a solution to manually activate the fan in case of any issues. I was able to find a Burkett auto valve, and will be installing that one to replace the original one that was failing.

I installed a override button last weekend on mine for the fan. This will allow manula operation in addition to the auto operation of the fan by the Burkett solenoid. Just route the main airline to this pneumatic switch, the the other line back to the Burkett solenoid under the passenger's side dash where the main line was removed. If the fan does not come on when it is supposed to, it is easy to just turn it on manually with this switch.
I am trying to locate more of the Burkett auto solenoids. This pneumatic switch I bought from Amazon, Temco - PV0170

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

Had some issues with the Burkett fan air solenoid working and allowing the cooling fan to run at the right time. At first I would pull over and take off the airline to the fan to release the air pressure and the fan would start working again. This was on my way up to the Overland Expo. After hearing this was happening to 1951M1078 I also decided to look for a solution to manually activate the fan in case of any issues. I was able to find a Burkett valve, but it was the last that company had in stock.

Just I installed a override button last weekend on mine for the fan. Just route the main airline to this pneumatic switch, the the other line back to the Burkett solenoid under the passenger's side desk where the main line was removed. If the fan does not come on when it is supposed to it is easy to just turn it on. I have the new Burkett solenoid, but I like having a fail safe.
I am trying to locate more of the Burkett solenoids. This pneumatic switch I bought from Amazon, Temco - PV0170
combine manual with automatic that replaces the Burkett? See

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...st-my-mine-!&p=2238280&viewfull=1#post2238280

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Had some issues with the Burkett fan air solenoid working and allowing the cooling fan to run at the right time. At first I would pull over and take off the airline to the fan to release the air pressure and the fan would start working again. This was on my way up to the Overland Expo. After hearing this was happening to 1951M1078 I also decided to look for a solution to manually activate the fan in case of any issues. I was able to find a Burkett valve, but it was the last that company had in stock.

Just I installed a override button last weekend on mine for the fan. Just route the main airline to this pneumatic switch, the the other line back to the Burkett solenoid under the passenger's side desk where the main line was removed. If the fan does not come on when it is supposed to it is easy to just turn it on. I have the new Burkett solenoid, but I like having a fail safe.
I am trying to locate more of the Burkett solenoids. This pneumatic switch I bought from Amazon, Temco - PV0170
I was thinking (dangerous)....

It might be handy to have Auto/Manual On/Manual Off (ei: fording) all one one toggle.

agazza2

I was thinking (dangerous)....

It might be handy to have Auto/Manual On/Manual Off (ei: fording) all one one toggle.
Not sure why you are thinking this is "dangerous" as this is a Auto/manual solution. If the solenoid is not functioning in the auto mode you can manually overide it without having to get out of the truck.

Third From Texas

Coachgeo, so the link you shared to 1951M1078 (Randy) is a aftermarket replacement for the Burkett solenoid to keep only the full auto. It is not a full auto/manual solution.
That should be correct.

I looked at those as a direct replacement for the OEM. Fortunately, I didn't need to get one yet as my issue was resolved by Andy sending me a takeoff plunger to rebuild my old one.

I suppose you could still make it on/off/automatic with a 3-way toggle switch (same principle as the fording switch). But it still would be fully dependent on the solenoid functioning.

I like the "override" idea for manual selection that would bypass the solenoid (should it fail). I was just wondering how it could be done all on one switch (on/off/automatic) to replace the fording switch.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed my litter racks in the trailer, with only the bottom bunk on, to be used as benches for a parade.
Litter Racks in Trailer 20190920_173404.jpg

coachgeo

Coachgeo, so the link you shared to 1951M1078 (Randy) is a aftermarket replacement for the Burkett solenoid to keep only the full auto. It is not a full auto/manual solution.
correct... and combine that with your solution and you get manual and automatic. Tried to go back and reword my post to make it more clear that you get both an improved burkett and a new manual set up "if you combine your and Randy's solutions", but the stupid settings here lock out any editing of your own post too quick thus could not edit it.

Mods Why has the settings tightened up again. For good while now one could go back and edit post their own post to add more/better clarity..... my post quoted above is now locked from editing and it has only been three days since posting??? :cookoo:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks