• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HEMTT/PLS/MK48 this week

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How can you tell the difference between a Hemtt
a1,a2,a3 ect....
i googled it but the answers aren't clear.
Thanks.
Something slightly different about the HEMTTs vs a lot of other trucks is that there is only one A1 HEMTT model - the M984A1. There is no M977A1, M983A1, etc. I think this is to avoid the "problems" that come up with having revision model numbers not the same across the type of vehicle. Think M915A2/M916A1 or M35A3/M109A4.

The A3 is the strangest looking one and isn't a production vehicle (Though it was assigned A3? hmmm....) Its the weird diesel/electric hybrid pathfinder/technology demonstrator.

I'm not sure if there is a good outward way to tell a HEMTT basic A0 from an A2 . It seems like if it has the older wire rope style cab step, (rather than the newer hinged step) it is almost certainly an A0, but the opposite is not true. Lots of HEMTT A0s also seem to have the "weird" full lens marker lights above the cab on the windshield, instead of the typical "M series" marker light. If you can look at the engine, you can tell. I'm not sure if the transmission will tell you or not, because I think the A0s had the same transmission changes that the A2 did. Or maybe all A2s have the same transmission. Not sure.

HEMTT A4s are easy to spot because of the lack of front grille, radiator on the side, spare tire on top, slanted door latch, and air ride axles.

RDUKW

Something slightly different about the HEMTTs vs a lot of other trucks is that there is only one A1 HEMTT model - the M984A1. There is no M977A1, M983A1, etc. I think this is to avoid the "problems" that come up with having revision model numbers not the same across the type of vehicle. Think M915A2/M916A1 or M35A3/M109A4.

The A3 is the strangest looking one and isn't a production vehicle (Though it was assigned A3? hmmm....) Its the weird diesel/electric hybrid pathfinder/technology demonstrator.

I'm not sure if there is a good outward way to tell a HEMTT basic A0 from an A2 . It seems like if it has the older wire rope style cab step, (rather than the newer hinged step) it is almost certainly an A0, but the opposite is not true. Lots of HEMTT A0s also seem to have the "weird" full lens marker lights above the cab on the windshield, instead of the typical "M series" marker light. If you can look at the engine, you can tell. I'm not sure if the transmission will tell you or not, because I think the A0s had the same transmission changes that the A2 did. Or maybe all A2s have the same transmission. Not sure.

HEMTT A4s are easy to spot because of the lack of front grille, radiator on the side, spare tire on top, slanted door latch, and air ride axles.

The A2 has the electronic transmission shifter along with air ride seats with 4 point harnesses. You will also notice the dash has a slightly different layout with some idiot lights

Gunzy

Yesterday is the first time I have fired up the 2 stroke in my M985 when it was cold. All I have to say is, it's a lot like a whiny kid getting woke up at 6am on a Saturday morning.

Gunzy

Shipped out 2 HEMTT Cargo cover kits today to SS members on site via Fastenal. Shipping rates were great. Hope to see some pictures once they get installed. I have some more available for sale.
Oh ya, more HEMTT stuff coming to me. :)

Gunzy

I got my tire mounted back on the M985, mounted my tow bar mounts and hung the tow bar, and installed another tool box on top of the main box on the right side. The box came off of an M1061 trailer.039.jpg040.jpg041.jpg042.jpg043.jpg

Elideclan2

That looks awesome. How did you lift the tow bar into place?
man or machine?
i bought the same mount for my 977. As soon as it warms up
im going to be putting mine on.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tow bar looks awesome, never seen one mounted like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes we are all waiting to see pictures installed. I think it will take a bit to get these across country via the shipping company. I would hope we can see a picture early next month of a real HEMTT with the cargo cover installed. Working on shipping costs for another member out west at the moment.

JDToumanian

I've had a new HEMTT tarpaulin for over 8 months but no bows or end curtains... I bought one of Swiss's kits, I plan to put it on when it arrives to see how it looks so I'll post pics then if someone doesn't beat me to it. I know they look funky and the tarpaulin is a thin material - seems cheap and not very durable - but I wanted an 8' x 20' tent to take with the HEMTT for camping at events, so it will serve it's purpose.

Changing the subject a bit... What's the deal with that tow bar bracket? Is it a kit intended to be mounted there or are those brackets from some other application? I have a hard enough time with a medium tow bar, I can't imagine hefting around the heavy one. Also, if my HEMTT broke down and I happened to have a heavy tow bar with me, who is going to tow me with it? I don't know anyone locally with another HEMTT or a HET. When I moved from Hesperia to Phelan this past November, I towed my dead M818 with the HEMTT and my medium tow bar and it looked like a toy back there. I couldn't even see it unless I was turning.

Jon

Gunzy

I've had a new HEMTT tarpaulin for over 8 months but no bows or end curtains... I bought one of Swiss's kits, I plan to put it on when it arrives to see how it looks so I'll post pics then if someone doesn't beat me to it. I know they look funky and the tarpaulin is a thin material - seems cheap and not very durable - but I wanted an 8' x 20' tent to take with the HEMTT for camping at events, so it will serve it's purpose.

Changing the subject a bit... What's the deal with that tow bar bracket? Is it a kit intended to be mounted there or are those brackets from some other application? I have a hard enough time with a medium tow bar, I can't imagine hefting around the heavy one. Also, if my HEMTT broke down and I happened to have a heavy tow bar with me, who is going to tow me with it? I don't know anyone locally with another HEMTT or a HET. When I moved from Hesperia to Phelan this past November, I towed my dead M818 with the HEMTT and my medium tow bar and it looked like a toy back there. I couldn't even see it unless I was turning.

Jon
The brackets are from the M984 wrecker. I saw pictures of them then posted in the wants forum and a member had a couple sets. Yes, the heavy bar requires separation to put up there and takes two people but would be needed to tow a HEMTT if the need arose. I think a 5 ton could pull one a short distance and slowly. Any major or long tow would need something bigger.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There wouldn't be any issues towing with 5 ton as long as brakes are connected. I would not even think about pulling it with caged brakes

nchittendon

So locally we have a guy with a hemtt. The only other MV's around here are m35's. If he broke down, I would assume we shouldn't even attempt it even just to get him off the roadway to a safe spot?? The hemtt is what? 38k lbs?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks