• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your JEEP today

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah that's kind of neat. I picked up a few parts for it today in the form of a couple parts jeeps.
View attachment 648348
First is a very rough and highly modified m38. A few parts are still good on it, the frame looks pretty good too. It has old school Warn hubs on the front which is a plus.
View attachment 648347View attachment 648346
Second is a CJ. The military used Jeep CJ-3As with F Head engines back in the day for runway APUs. The funky hood is to fit the engine, which I guess was used due to the power increase. Now, with a quick look over I don't see any signs that this was a military CJ. I'm guessing it got the hood and possibly the engine were swapped into this rig at some point, but it's still pretty neat. It also came with a pretty nice 6ft plow that I'll probably never use.
View attachment 648345View attachment 648342View attachment 648344View attachment 648341View attachment 648343View attachment 648340
I also bought the shell to a WWII generator that powers the giant searchlights, but didn't want to deal with the hassle of making room on the trailer for it so we left it there.:???: Having a trailer with a winch is the greatest, but it really leads to a ton of absolute wrecks showing up at the yard.:neutral:
Cowl induction...sweet

Bravo2Uniform

Finally back to work..a little progress was obtained

Owing to a hectic work schedule and the need for some parts, I haven't got much done lately. I just decided to jump in this weekend and do some non-critical path tasks anyway. I dropped the body on and began prepping it for cushions / bumpers - only to find out that the bed hat channel misses the support by exactly one inch. So I ordered some hat channel and jumped on the battery box and glove box install. Then, just because the parts were there, I put the dash on. I figure those things aren't critical path, but they will be pretty soon, so it's not wasted energy. I rattle can painted the areas under the dash, they won't be visible anyway. One of these days I'll be puttering around on this thing...hopefully before 2020!

DSC_0043-SMALL.jpgDSC_0052 SMALL.jpg

dmetalmiki

After much pondering, I have acquired an overdrive for my WW11 ford jeep. Why?. It has a V8 Tank engine in it, (innitt!) and 700x16 tires, But the RPMs would be nice lower, and the cruise. It DOES have the extra power needed to pull the larger tires and overdrive, >sic< Will post up the project when commenced.

Jeeagle

Owing to a hectic work schedule and the need for some parts, I haven't got much done lately. I just decided to jump in this weekend and do some non-critical path tasks anyway. I dropped the body on and began prepping it for cushions / bumpers - only to find out that the bed hat channel misses the support by exactly one inch. So I ordered some hat channel and jumped on the battery box and glove box install. Then, just because the parts were there, I put the dash on. I figure those things aren't critical path, but they will be pretty soon, so it's not wasted energy. I rattle can painted the areas under the dash, they won't be visible anyway. One of these days I'll be puttering around on this thing...hopefully before 2020!

View attachment 650528View attachment 650529

Having worked through the years on Jeeps I have come to thank the engineers for expanding the removable mid section floor. Those bolts on the back top bell housing are a total PITA on MB and GPWs

Bravo2Uniform

And the Army goes rollin' along...

Making serious progress the past few days. Got the front seats installed, back seat bracket, spare tire, Jerry can, and steering column adjusted. Those engineers at Willys were on their A-game when they made the steering column adjustable! I puzzled over that one for a while. My 16 yo is helping me drill out all the rusted and broken bolts, which are more than a few on a '53.

DSC_0007-SMALL.jpgDSC_0003-SMALL.jpgDSC_0015-SMALL1.jpg

Bravo2Uniform

o1951

"Try to get your 16 yr old to stay behind the drill. I have seen people get hurt when drill bit points to a body part. I know- you are going to say thick wall, but I have seen things happen, especially with old stuff.. Something breaks loose, or something inside there, it is going into son's body. Not this time, but if that becomes accepted practice - in the future? Better to be in bed pushing, with no one on other side.:D"

Good point. I had not thought about the behavior aspect. You are exactly right, he should have been drilling from the other side. I reasoned, like you said, that he couldn't drill into himself because of the double walls. However, I forgot the behavioral aspect and taught him to take an unsafe position. Thanks and I appreciate your input.

Bravo2Uniform

Learning to Paint

I've never sprayed anything out that didn't at least partially absorb the paint, so this was a learning experience. I have numerous runs to sand out before I put the second coat on. All in all, though, I am happy with the results.

DSC_0001-SMALL.jpgDSC_0002 SMALL.jpg

Another Ahab

I've never sprayed anything out that didn't at least partially absorb the paint, so this was a learning experience. I have numerous runs to sand out before I put the second coat on. All in all, though, I am happy with the results.
You're meaning product like drywall or finished lumber/ plywood, is that what you mean?

Bravo2Uniform

I am using GCI (Gillespie Coatings) # 24052 semi-gloss enamel. I buy it through QTM (quartertonparts.com). I did my M1009 in CARC and I really didn't like the results so I decided to do something a little different this time.

Bravo2Uniform

Today I wasted $ 10.00

This is what wasting $ 10.00 of paint looks like. I still don't know what happened except to say that I dropped a quart sprayer container; fortunately most of it ended up on me. Now I have a huge patch of green paint on the floor of the shop and Martian tinted skin.

DSC_0004 SMALL.jpg

Another Ahab

This is what wasting $ 10.00 of paint looks like. I still don't know what happened except to say that I dropped a quart sprayer container; fortunately most of it ended up on me. Now I have a huge patch of green paint on the floor of the shop and Martian tinted skin.

View attachment 652940
Well, the good news is now you don't need one of those pesky test patches for a color check:

- You ARE the test patch! :naner::beer:

o1951

For you-
Permatex Fast Orange by Locktite corp. Buy the 128 oz container with the pump dispenser. I use it all the time to clean up - removes paint, crud from working under vehicle, you name it. For hardened paint, spray foam, etc. put it on, let it set a while, then rub it with something like a terry cloth rag.

Safer and better than using paint thinner or other solvents.

Bravo2Uniform

HA HA on me!

I am finally ready to run the wiring harness today. First thing, right out of the gate, I find that I have Packard connections on all my new stuff and Douglas on my harness. My exceedingly expensive harness. aua

Fortunately the guys at Vintage Wiring of Maine (http://www.vintagewiringofmaine.com) are helping me out.

Dang it though. Just dang it.

Another Ahab

I am finally ready to run the wiring harness today. First thing, right out of the gate, I find that I have Packard connections on all my new stuff and Douglas on my harness. My exceedingly expensive harness.

Dang it though. Just dang it.
You know that situation of yours is TOTALLY normal, and nothing to get all wrung out about.

The gods in their towering heavens get their entertainment from our constant conundrums. Don't mind the setback.

laugh.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks