• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your MTVR today?

Nomadic

Yermo, somewhere NV, rest area in WY, At home with my Jeep M715, and in Rawlins at a pit stop
Such a bad ass truck. That is a long drive right out of surplus. I don't read about success stories like that very often in the LMTV forum, but I wish it were the case.

10isBestmm

Replaced the wiper blades , replaced the air ride seat button, installed a keyed doorhandle on driverside, halfway done on passenger.

Ordered 4 orings for 16.00R20 split rims, a 10 ton rope to pullout jeeps, a 30ton recovery strap for myself.

Things to do, build a chock block, wooden supports, and better wood spacers for my bottle jacks.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Built a hitch inspired by Micah’s he built.

6” x 1/2 plate 18” drop from frame. Should be a little overkill, going to remove it before severe off-roading to prevent damage as it hangs lower than my ICC bumperIMG_2877.jpg
IMG_2873.jpg
IMG_2874.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Built a hitch inspired by Micah’s he built.

6” x 1/2 plate 18” drop from frame. Should be a little overkill, going to remove it before severe off-roading to prevent damage as it hangs lower than my ICC bumperView attachment 816924
View attachment 816925
View attachment 816926

Hi, Elijah95

Mine is a different truck - but at the back end - it about as "tall" as your 7 Ton. When I bought my truck, it had (still has) a drop hitch on it. Today while looking at the Pintle, I found some cracks in the roughly half inch steel. The guy who had it must have pulled some really heavy stuff with the drop hitch. I know he had BIG boats that he moved with it. MY version is about a one foot drop - completely unsupported.

YOUR version is about the same, but I don't see anything that keeps the hitch from being "pushed and pulled". I don't see any support on the back of the hitch. Maybe you aren't finished yet? Just asking. Just making suggestions to improve on what you are building.

Pictures of MY hitch are below. That is a 2 3/8 ball on that drop down. MINE is definitely not done right! Pay specific attention to the rust on the stiffening brace beside the pintle. Weld may not be cracked, but the metal is (Picture 3). There is even support behind mine IF THE LOAD was in the receiver - but it isn't. Load is a foot lower (on mine).

M1088 Drop Hitch (NotGood!) 01.jpg M1088 Drop Hitch (NotGood!) 02.jpg M1088 Drop Hitch (NotGood!) 03.jpg M1088 Drop Hitch (NotGood!) 04.jpg M1088 Drop Hitch (NotGood!) 05.jpg

AGAIN, not beating on your hitch. Just pointing out what I discovered on mine. I am planning the needed repairs now and definitely won't be towing trailers using that hitch until I get it fixed.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Hi, Elijah95

Mine is a different truck - but at the back end - it about as "tall" as your 7 Ton. When I bought my truck, it had (still has) a drop hitch on it. Today while looking at the Pintle, I found some cracks in the roughly half inch steel. The guy who had it must have pulled some really heavy stuff with the drop hitch. I know he had BIG boats that he moved with it. MY version is about a one foot drop - completely unsupported.

YOUR version is about the same, but I don't see anything that keeps the hitch from being "pushed and pulled". I don't see any support on the back of the hitch. Maybe you aren't finished yet? Just asking. Just making suggestions to improve on what you are building.

Pictures of MY hitch are below. That is a 2 3/8 ball on that drop down. MINE is definitely not done right! Pay specific attention to the rust on the stiffening brace beside the pintle. Weld may not be cracked, but the metal is (Picture 3). There is even support behind mine IF THE LOAD was in the receiver - but it isn't. Load is a foot lower (on mine).

View attachment 816948 View attachment 816949 View attachment 816950 View attachment 816951 View attachment 816952

AGAIN, not beating on your hitch. Just pointing out what I discovered on mine. I am planning the needed repairs now and definitely won't be towing trailers using that hitch until I get it fixed.

I like the setup you have! I’m depending on the overall strength in my steel to hold my loads, but majority of the stuff I pull on that setup will be <5000 ibs
I’m going to setup my go pro when I pull the big trailer to try to record and monitor flex, the whole goal is safe but quick on-off of the setup

Last edited:

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, this is not actually about the truck itself but I did get a sixcon for fuel. It holds 900 gallons and bolts right to the 7 Ton bed with the ISO locks. So including the regular tank I could carry about 1,000 gallons of diesel. If I get about 6 miles per gallon, then I could drive about 6,000 miles before stopping for fuel.

20201112_sixcon.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, this is not actually about the truck itself but I did get a sixcon for fuel. It holds 900 gallons and bolts right to the 7 Ton bed with the ISO locks. So including the regular tank I could carry about 1,000 gallons of diesel. If I get about 6 miles per gallon, then I could drive about 6,000 miles before stopping for fuel.

View attachment 818109
Wow! So at that rate, you could go to California - decide that was a bad idea - then turn around and make it over to North Carolina and still have a little fuel to cruise the beaches and see the sights... :cool:

THAT is a very cool fuel container. If stuff got bad, you could be a very happy and mobile guy with one of those!

Curiosity Question: Does it have some sort of baffles in it? Full it would drive great. Half full, you might be miserable without them...

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Forgot to post, Truck got absolutely hammered last week at the GA rally, destroyed the Sherpa 25k hooked with a snatch block, destroyed passenger step assembly, damaged the oil filter and base, bent the air tanks on the driver side, forded 55” of water, destroyed 3 CTIS wheel covers, the list goes on!

Pretty fun when everyone goes in the swamp to get stuck and you go out there just to wash your frame out IMG_2914.jpg
IMG_2928.jpg
IMG_2933.jpg

Kbarnes0

Forgot to post, Truck got absolutely hammered last week at the GA rally, destroyed the Sherpa 25k hooked with a snatch block, destroyed passenger step assembly, damaged the oil filter and base, bent the air tanks on the driver side, forded 55” of water, destroyed 3 CTIS wheel covers, the list goes on!

Pretty fun when everyone goes in the swamp to get stuck and you go out there just to wash your frame out View attachment 818272
View attachment 818273
View attachment 818274

Good times.. What are your thoughts on the sherpa? Stallion correct?

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Good times.. What are your thoughts on the sherpa? Stallion correct?
It’s a good winch, but being mired in mud beyond the diffs on an MTVR 2x snatch blocks and extra cable is mandatory, mine failed because I asked too much of it and relieved the load under a bind blowing it up.

Not impressed with the factory battery cabling supplied, I ran 4/0 all the way. I wanted redundant safety

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Looks very nice but... way too much drop, on too much truck, not to self destruct with anything but the lightest trailers.
Leverage is a key factor, that said My max pull will be 15k and Last week I pulled 6, added a few emergency panic stops with go pro watching it. Zero flex

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

View attachment 818109
You won't get 6mpg with 7,000lbs of weight in the bed.

You will also need a hazmat endorsement with a CDL to cross state lines with that truck with that amount of fuel. And placecards

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks