• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done WITH your FMTV ( trips, Rescues etc) NOT: fixes, updates etc

Reworked LMTV

I bought it in July, finally got it set up (swapped tires, blanance/rebuilt driveshafts, removed spare & OEM intake, fabbed new intake, removed 5th wheel/decking, relocated hyd controls, relocated trans cooler), registered, and most importantly- legally insured (through Progressive as a private use commercial vehicle), and then I DROVE IT!! Love it!

Took it to the grocery store to pick some stuff up for my wife. It's awesome!
Nice! How much was the new air cleaner assemblies?

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sweeet.... mucho congratulato. what air cleaners/models did you use? if you posted this here already point to thread maybe?
Donaldson PSD10's. I don't really have a build thread here (yet). It struck me as a place for more OE-oriented vehicles. The more time I spend here, the more it seems like the full spectrum of conversation is appreciated so I will likely get something going soon.

snowtrac nome

I haven't haven't the time to down load pics of the trip yet but I went 20 miles past where winter road maintenance ended to check on a cabin for a friend seems several cabins in the area got blown apart from a recent winter wind storm .

Reworked LMTV

Donaldson PSD10's. I don't really have a build thread here (yet). It struck me as a place for more OE-oriented vehicles. The more time I spend here, the more it seems like the full spectrum of conversation is appreciated so I will likely get something going soon.
Welcome! This is a great website for OE and mod MV's. This is a better website for truck mechanicals, whereas the Overlanding forum has more info. on DIY cabins.

ramdough

I haven't haven't the time to down load pics of the trip yet but I went 20 miles past where winter road maintenance ended to check on a cabin for a friend seems several cabins in the area got blown apart from a recent winter wind storm .
Pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllenF

I bought it in July, finally got it set up (swapped tires, blanance/rebuilt driveshafts, removed spare & OEM intake, fabbed new intake, removed 5th wheel/decking, relocated hyd controls, relocated trans cooler), registered, and most importantly- legally insured (through Progressive as a private use commercial vehicle), and then I DROVE IT!! Love it!

Took it to the grocery store to pick some stuff up for my wife. It's awesome!

AllenF

I like the idea of gaining room for a bigger RV box without having to extend the frame which I have been kicking around. I would like to add my voice to the call out to you to work up a thread on modifying the air filter arrangement and the relocation of the coolant overflow tank ect.
How much added room/length did you gain?
What is the height of the transmission top to the frame top?
I need working dimensions to figure clearances and overall RV camper box dimensions.
I believe that M1088's are a tad bit shorter in the rear part of the frame length than the M 1083's, but
I have never measured them both to be certain. Perhaps we could do a pen pal version of verification here? Perhaps measuring from the rear leaf spring pivot center to the end of the frame rail?

Great job by the way and welcome😊
I look forward to hearing more about your adventures and projects😉

Third From Texas

I like the idea of gaining room for a bigger RV box without having to extend the frame which I have been kicking around. I would like to add my voice to the call out to you to work up a thread on modifying the air filter arrangement and the relocation of the coolant overflow tank ect.

iirc there is about 24" to be reclaimed between cab and what would normally be the end of the tire mount (on a M1078/M1079, not sure the total on the 6x6 with the cooler)

I've seen that number posted before on a couple of builds. @coachgeo may have that number as well. If no one posts it, I'll ask over on the FB group.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need working dimensions to figure clearances and overall RV camper box dimensions.
I believe that M1088's are a tad bit shorter in the rear part of the frame length than the M 1083's, but
I have never measured them both to be certain. Perhaps we could do a pen pal version of verification here? Perhaps measuring from the rear leaf spring pivot center to the end of the frame rail?

Great job by the way and welcome😊
I look forward to hearing more about your adventures and projects😉

To keep this thread on topic, I posted some answers on my build thread:

wandering neurons

Today was a beautiful day in northwest Nevada. First open day at Lake Lahontan State Park, a local reservoir used by boaters, fishermen, picnickers, sunbathers. Churchill County Search and Rescue, of which I am a member, spent the day patrolling the beach, assisting Park Rangers, and helping out those visiting the Park.
I took my side-by-side and Goliath, my M1081, for the day, and spent all day driving Goliath along the beaches. Was awesome to use the power and versatility of an LMTV in the sand, especially with a working CTIS.
Several people got their vehicles stuck for various reasons. This was our first recovery - pickup truck and trailer in soft sand.
As the owner had managed to uncouple the trailer, I used the SRW on Goliath to pull the truck free and to a better surface, where he took it to hard-pack. I then hooked my receiver and drop hitch to his trailer and pulled it easily through his ruts to the hard-pack. Very happy couple, they'd already been there four hours and were expecting to drop some serious coin to get extricated. No charge, just ask for donations to the SAR.
Goliath was used twice more today for extractions from the deep sand- a sedan and a pickup and boat trailer.
People were amazed by what a 20+ year old ex-military vehicle was capable of, especially in the deep soft sand.

StuckTruckAndTrailer.jpg

GoliathPullingTrailer1.jpg

GoliathPullingTrailer2.jpg

GoliathPullingTrailer3.jpg

coachgeo

Hauled 12 ton of 1-3" stone today. (2 loads of 6 ton) did not put in LMTV... put it in a M105a trailer .... with a full size bed dump box in it. Truck was more than happy.... little trailer was happy... trailer tires not so happy but trailer was fine lol. the landscape yard is only 10 miles away.... so just crept from there to home each time so not to over heat the tires.

coachgeo

Hauled 12 ton of 1-3" stone today. (2 loads of 6 ton) did not put in LMTV... put it in a M105a trailer .... with a full size bed dump box in it. Truck was more than happy.... little trailer was happy... trailer tires not so happy but trailer was fine lol. the landscape yard is only 10 miles away.... so just crept from there to home each time so not to over heat the tires.
another 6 tons today

coachgeo

Dang, impressive! Have you done any modifications to the trailer besides the dump box? I enjoyed your YouTube video.
nope..... besides taking off the bows that are rotten . will rebuild them eventually. I got a military canvas bed cover for it. Someday I will build a rack I can slide the dump box off onto... and a way to pin it on the trailer instead of bolting it. Then can use trailer for non dump stuff too. Dump stuff is high priority right now though and it will be for another year off and on as I slowly build this road and the spots Im putting shelters for various things (tractor, waste oil to diesel processing, truck repair (large military tent for that) etc.

DMax82

nope..... besides taking off the bows that are rotten . will rebuild them eventually. I got a military canvas bed cover for it. Someday I will build a rack I can slide the dump box off onto... and a way to pin it on the trailer instead of bolting it. Then can use trailer for non dump stuff too. Dump stuff is high priority right now though and it will be for another year off and on as I slowly build this road and the spots Im putting shelters for various things (tractor, waste oil to diesel processing, truck repair (large military tent for that) etc.
Thanks for sharing, George! That looks like a great setup. I am needing a capable rig for hauling building materials (sand, gravel, logs) over some pretty rugged terrain, probably behind a tractor, and this looks like a great option.

Plasa

It's a pure electric a/c connected to the box batteries. It works also when engine is not running...
The box is a fridge box, buid on my sketches. I made only the inside, windows, photovoltaic etc...

Christian

First one that I have seen with a/c on top. Looks great!!

Did you build the box yourself?
First one that I have seen with a/c on top. Looks great!!

Did you build the box yourself?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks