• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done WITH your FMTV ( trips, Rescues etc) NOT: fixes, updates etc

Green Mountain Boys

The SRW is significantly underrated. I have the 11K SRW on the 2.5 ton truck and with a full drum it is rated to pull 6,780 pounds according to the data plate on the winch. I know that it can drag the truck on flat ground with nearly a full winch drum of cable. I did that by accident once. To solve that problem I repositioned the truck farther away so the winch drum would have less cable and put logs in front of the wheels to keep the truck from being dragged by the winch. I don't know what the limit is for the winch. I hope I never have to find out. I use my winch fairly often.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well military trucks can double as fun trash compactors... Last year I scavened some parts from an old projection TV that was gigantic and I was trying to figure out how to dispose of the huge shell. Easy enough just stick it under the tires of Sergeant York and drive forward and back a few times! Today I was disposing of some plastic lounge chairs that were cracked beyond repair. Just throw them in front of the tires and drive around a bit! Unfortunately I forgot to take a video of the actual smashing but it worked great and everything fit in my recycle binIMG_20230607_084645.jpg after that

ramdough

Well military trucks can double as fun trash compactors... Last year I scavened some parts from an old projection TV that was gigantic and I was trying to figure out how to dispose of the huge shell. Easy enough just stick it under the tires of Sergeant York and drive forward and back a few times! Today I was disposing of some plastic lounge chairs that were cracked beyond repair. Just throw them in front of the tires and drive around a bit! Unfortunately I forgot to take a video of the actual smashing but it worked great and everything fit in my recycle binView attachment 899130 after that
I video or after pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I video or after pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I wish I thought of that I was rushing because the garbage truck was just down the street and then I needed to use my trash can for all the old shingles from fixing my corner of my roof

This spring my M1083 and I were pretty busy with rescues from the mud. Had to back into a neighbor's pasture until I gut stuck. Up to the axles of course. Pulled out the winch cable and pulled out 3 pickup trucks. After the cable was spooled up I then had to air down all 6 tires and drive out of that mess. Unfortunately, my CTIS isn't working at the time so it was almost a traumatic experience in the pouring rain. :eek: Next day 20230421_150026.jpghad to go to neighbor's next door to pull out a FEDEX day cab and pup trailer from a turn taken too wide in their driveway. Did you know, semi trucks don't come with tow hooks any longer? It's not easy to rig up a cable to the front and not damage the fancy plastic bumper. And as I was leaving that rescue, when I turned onto the gravel road, my left steer tire blew out. I have to admit, it was in terrible shape and need to be replaced but, I've just been using the truck off road at low speeds. Yup, it is always exciting here around Greers Ferry lake in Arkansas when there's a lot of rain. It washes out our road and turns the soil into basically, quicksand. Even one of my Unimogs have been stuck up to the axles. Sometimes, water just percolates up out of the ground, in new places, right in the middle of everything after hard rain. It makes it interesting to decide where you want to build permanent structures, that's for sure! Pic of 6x6 was after washing off mud for 3 hours. That mu20230404_165042.jpgd is the consistency of paste glue.IMG_20220122_085547.jpg

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sunday I pulled my M1082 trailer up towards Lake Tahoe to sell my trailer to another member in hear ((Thanks Wandering Neurons!!). It was a great drive up highway 88 from Plymouth to the 88/89 junction where we met up. Weather was awesome and of course the snow is still pretty heavy above 7,000 feet. The views out of the truck were awesome. The M1078 ran great and with it being downhill almost all of the way home, I got over 8 MPG!

wandering neurons

Thx to fly fish trailer, my girlfriend and I had a great drive through western Nevada, including a stop for lunch in Genoa, and the new trailer pulled like a dream. Finding parking was tricky…

Sunday I pulled my M1082 trailer up towards Lake Tahoe to sell my trailer to another member in hear ((Thanks Wandering Neurons!!). It was a great drive up highway 88 from Plymouth to the 88/89 junction where we met up. Weather was awesome and of course the snow is still pretty heavy above 7,000 feet. The views out of the truck were awesome. The M1078 ran great and with it being downhill almost all of the way home, I got over 8 MPG!

themeec

Well military trucks can double as fun trash compactors... Last year I scavened some parts from an old projection TV that was gigantic and I was trying to figure out how to dispose of the huge shell. Easy enough just stick it under the tires of Sergeant York and drive forward and back a few times! Today I was disposing of some plastic lounge chairs that were cracked beyond repair. Just throw them in front of the tires and drive around a bit! Unfortunately I forgot to take a video of the actual smashing but it worked great and everything fit in my recycle binView attachment 899130 after that
I agree! Ran across a small pine that had come down on an ATV trail we were traveling on, but realized we'd forgotten our hand saw. Ran over it a few times with the 1078, and it was broken into small enough chunks to move by hand!

Tortuga

My first rescue mission in the 1078. Friend got a 60 ft boom lift stuck in his back yard. With the factory winch, I pulled cable from the road to the lift, probably just over 200 ft. Easily pulled him to pavement while he assisted in the boom. He couldn't believe how much cable was on there. I ended up getting down to factory spooled cable that was coated in oil looking as new as the day it rolled out of the factory 30 years ago!

wandering neurons

Lake Lahontan, east of Reno and Carson City, has become so full that the beaches have disappeared. Which forces people to try to skirt the lake in deep soft powder-like sand. My M1081, “Goliath”, has no problems with those conditions, and so yesterday did my first recovery of the year. An “4wd” suv with jet ski trailer buried in the sand. Goliath’s CTIS and locking rear differential to the rescue. Driver of the suv insisted on steering every way but straight, but Goliath dragged the makeshift sand-anchor out anyway.
Girlfriend was designated photographer for the recovery but is now fired from photog position. She forgot to take pictures of the recovery. I’ll keep her as girlfriend though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks