• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you run with your MEP003a?

Jimc

Yes i have had some tough ones but i can always get them apart. I put the fins in a vise. It doesnt need to be tightened down. Just put it in on the short side so it cant turn. Then i get a really big adjustable wrench and put it on the flats of the injector body. Slowly twist back and forth. The more you twist the looser it will get. The oil these guys recommended is great to and should be used for sure. As said heat works well too.

Jimc

absolutely. i use the copper type antifreeze on just about everything on these generators. the copper stuff is conductive.

robkiller

So i have an update. I sent in all my injectors to be recalibrated. They were all low but all working. The lowest was 1200psi and the rest were a 350 or so below what they should be. Everything is together i have tested all my glow plugs. I ran it for a few min 5 or so to check for leaks. I dont see any leaks. Next week i will see if it handles more of a load and make sure no leaks pop up.

robkiller

I still have a hard time starting with a lot of smoke and stuttering from one cylinder. Glow plugs are good, injectors are good. If when i test it under load it can handle a greater load with the injectors being re calibrated. I will say the hard start and smoke from the one cylinder being caused by a leaking valve and let it go. If it does not give me more power and struggles with getting over 100 percent load i will look at a compression issue with that cylinder and the rest of them.

robkiller

Update its summer at 7000 feet at 88 degrees. My MEP003a started better than normal. I was able to run both 120 volt lines on the house at a metered 55amps each when I got it to 66 amps each the unit only handled it for a short amount of time before it would start to sow down. But 55 continuous is not bad I would assume that a total of 110 amps.

cuad4u

The original question was what have you run from your 003A? When I got my first 003A it needed a lot of work - nothing major - just the usual stuff that most need. I spent around 100 hours because at first I did not know what I was doing.

I also sent the injectors to Storeman. I got the fins off by using a combo of ATF and acetone and an industrial heat gun (not a hair dryer). After heating the aluminum fins came right off. After getting the injectors back and doing all the other usual stuff to get the 003A up to snuff, I load tested it. My load tester is a plastic 55 gallon drum without top full of water. I add water heater elements until I get the wattage I want to load test.

After getting my injectors done by Storeman, cleaning the innards of the IP, adjusting the valves, and all the other stuff, my 003A will load test at 16,000 watts. I let it run for 15 minutes at 16,000 watts and the engine did not bog down, engine did not emit black smoke (or worse blue smoke) and the engine did not over heat - at least the cylinder head over temp switch did not cut the generator off. The master circuit breaker did not trip. I feel it could have done 16,000 watts longer or even more than 16,000 watts - but why?

I do not intend to run my 003A at 16,000 watts in actual use, but like many, I just wanted to see what a "healthy" 003A would do. Your results may vary.

Last edited: