• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What heaters are yo uusing for SVO on CUCV?

grayw0lf

I started mixing filtered SVO in my second tank yesterday on my M1009. I'm currently running a 50/50 SVO/diesel mix & there's no noticeable difference.

My temperatures aren't where I want them though. The main concern is when I'm cruising @ 65mph, the oil temp drops down to 162F. I'd really be more comfortable with it at 180'ish. & its August.

I have 2 electric heaters, a 100watt at the tank & another immediately before the switching solenoid. I have a 30plate FPHE as my main heat source. I'm not a fan of the common idea of running coolant all the way back to the fuel tank.

I'm thinking I need another/larger FPHE (heat exchanger). It seems like at 65mph the fuel isn't in the FPHE long enough to stay in the 180F range.

Is it possible that at 65mph, the coolant itself isn't quite hot enough??? These things do have a massive radiator.

Anyone else have a similar setup / experience?

Thanks guys!!

John O>.:jumpin:

ElsBenz

I have been running wvo for three years now in 2 Mercedes and just converted a M1008 to run on WVO. I chose to run a single tank set up like my Mercedes, but only run a 50/50 blend max. You will snap your injection pump shaft if you go higher. I start on 50/50 but do not leave my driveway until my fuel is at least 150F. It will reach 180F before I have to accelerate over 35 mph. I have run this way all summer and drove it yesterday with a start up temp of 52F. I will start thinning this out soon. I plan on going to a 75/25 wmo mix for the winter. I do this in my Mercedes also. I chose to go single tank because I use it for hauling and didn't want a second tank taking up space.

Now for my system...........I have removed the mechanical lift pump and use a Fass pump made specifically for WVO. It is set at 12 PSI to relieve some of the work from the injection pump. Before the pump it goes into a glow plug heated sedimenter/water seperator. It then goes into the first FPHE, then into a 60 mic. pre filter, into a glow plug heated Cav style 10 mic. filter. I then send it to another FPHE right before the injection pump. This is mounted on the back wall and is only inches away from the pump to retain as much heat as possible. I have also insulated the FPHE and my filters to retain heat. I use injection line heaters to boost the temp before injection. This also helps on start up to thin the oil in the lines before that first push.

If you have any more questions or would like to see pics let me know.

grayw0lf

I have been running wvo for three years now in 2 Mercedes and just converted a M1008 to run on WVO. I chose to run a single tank set up like my Mercedes, but only run a 50/50 blend max. You will snap your injection pump shaft if you go higher. I start on 50/50 but do not leave my driveway until my fuel is at least 150F. It will reach 180F before I have to accelerate over 35 mph. I have run this way all summer and drove it yesterday with a start up temp of 52F. I will start thinning this out soon. I plan on going to a 75/25 wmo mix for the winter. I do this in my Mercedes also. I chose to go single tank because I use it for hauling and didn't want a second tank taking up space.
If you have any more questions or would like to see pics let me know.

Have you snapped your injection pump shaft?

Have you had any WVO related breakdowns?

ElsBenz

I have snapped the injection pump shaft. I was running at 75% wvo and left the driveway at about 125F fuel temp. My first hard acceleration at 135F snapped the shaft. The guy I purchased the new pump from was local and he gave me a quick schooling on this type of pump. First of all the shaft is designed to snap so as not to damage anything else. There is actually a weak spot machined into it. He has done a lot of experimenting on these engines and runs biodiesel and wvo himself, but not in this engine. He told me he only runs 50/50 wmo or straight biodiesel in this engine with no modifications. After showing him my system and explaining my new stratagy he thought it would be fine. I have not had a problem since. Only time will tell. I have the stock filter in place and it can be run in parallel if my filters clog. I can actually change my filters while the truck is running so I don't have to prime when I switch. I have not had to do this yet but I have done a trial run. The FPHE are on both sides of the loop so the stock filter would still recieve hot oil as well as the temp being boosted again right before the injection pump.

I have not had any wvo/wmo problems with the Mercedes except the normal filter changes.
They also have a similiar system to the truck. However, problems always arise from driving an older vehicle. AAA RV plus is nice to have.

grayw0lf

Very good info, thx!

I've been switching over around 130F. I may have to rethink that.

Do you block part of your raidator off in the WI winters? When I'm on the interstate, my fuel temp drops to 160F w/ two 30 plate FPHE's.

ElsBenz

I did the conversion early this spring and have not gone thru a winter. I bought it in Feb. and the heat was great in the cab, but I don't know what the fuel temp was. I am planning to buy a winter front from jatonka35 JATONKA CUCV WINTERFRONT.

There are also different thermostats you can put in the radiator. I run at 183F all day long. There is a 160F, 180F, and 195F. I am guessing I have a 180 and you may have a 160. I am planning on going with a 195F when I need a new one or if the temps get to low in the winter. These are available from LMC Truck LMC Truck Parts - Page 132.

I don't know what kind of FPHE you have, but I read that the ones that are not specifically made for fuel do not work as well. You want your FPHE to be aluminum, not stainless. I also insulated mine. These are the ones I use. Heat Exchanger SVO WVO Oil Cooler or a Hot Camp Shower: eBay Motors (item 170542071878 end time Oct-18-10 06:26:35 PDT). I also use the heated sedimentor, and heated double filter from this guy. I have talked with him many times and he is a wealth of knowledge.

For winter starting I also use a 1000W block heater and a 250W oil pan heater. I can plug these in fo 2 hrs before I leave and they will melt a inch of snow off the hood on a cold morning. I left them overnight once and the glow plug light never even came on.

I will get you some pics if you would like.

Last edited:

kentuckycucv

I hear all this "Conversion" stuff. I have a 1985 M1009. I get wvo from my church's chicken dinner and fish fry. pour it through one of those supermarket cloth bags to get the junk out. then I run it thru my filtration system... then put it in my tank.
Runs like a kitten. I usually run a mix of diesel. Sometimes its 95%...today its 50%. Seems like it runs better with WVO in the tank than on just diesel.
My biggest MOD/add on... I have a Webb 525 fuel heater/waterseperator/filter. it heats off of my heater hose. fuel goes to mechanical fuel pump then to prefilter then to Stock filter then to IP.
the coolest thing about the 525 is, it is SELF CLEANING. Just crack the ball valve on the bottom and the garbage/water/french fries, falls to the ground. I have been unsientificly putting WVO directly in my ONLY tank for 3years. almost 30,000 miles. ZERO issues, except replacing stock fuel filters now and then.... I filter to 10 microns. I cant believe how well my truck runs on this stuff. the process is a mess, i need a dirt floor barn.[thumbzup] I know I know ...people are going to tell me I cant do what Im doing.... but im doing it. NO ISSUES ...yet.

howesblazer

I hear all this "Conversion" stuff. I have a 1985 M1009. I get wvo from my church's chicken dinner and fish fry. pour it through one of those supermarket cloth bags to get the junk out. then I run it thru my filtration system... then put it in my tank.
Runs like a kitten. I usually run a mix of diesel. Sometimes its 95%...today its 50%. Seems like it runs better with WVO in the tank than on just diesel.
My biggest MOD/add on... I have a Webb 525 fuel heater/waterseperator/filter. it heats off of my heater hose. fuel goes to mechanical fuel pump then to prefilter then to Stock filter then to IP.
the coolest thing about the 525 is, it is SELF CLEANING. Just crack the ball valve on the bottom and the garbage/water/french fries, falls to the ground. I have been unsientificly putting WVO directly in my ONLY tank for 3years. almost 30,000 miles. ZERO issues, except replacing stock fuel filters now and then.... I filter to 10 microns. I cant believe how well my truck runs on this stuff. the process is a mess, i need a dirt floor barn.[thumbzup] I know I know ...people are going to tell me I cant do what Im doing.... but im doing it. NO ISSUES ...yet.

I wanted to do this for a while now, not another tank just blend a mixture to make it a bit cheaper a week. 4 dollars a gallon is killing me, so you just add a fuel heater and just add a 50/50 mixture? Is there any extra filters you run? Your setup is the exact thing i wanna do if yours works well enough.

BTW im in mass and its about 30 degrees up here right now should i run a different mixture?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks