• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What HMMWV Engine did I really get?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a 6.5. The painted intake tells me it has been rebuilt. Nice paint on your truck. Trans is 3 speed.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like you did really well. The exhaust and transfer case look like new. You will probably find it has like new brakes, maybe axles and suspension, etc.

There is not a picture of the sticker on the left valve cover, so it is hard to tell whether you got a rebuilt GM 6.5 or a GEP (AM General/Navistar) engine that somebody painted. You can read about the differences between the GM and GEP 6.5s in lots of threads on here and in non-military truck forums. The Navistar block has a logo cast in the lifter valley as shown in the picture below. As NDT mentioned, along with the black intake manifold you will often spot a rebuild plate on the engine somewhere.

Navistar 6.5 block.jpg

RedOctober

What do you guys suggest I look at first and begin to replace on these vehicles? or is it just replace all fluids, fresh batteries and so on and wait till something goes bad?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you guys suggest I look at first and begin to replace on these vehicles? or is it just replace all fluids, fresh batteries and so on and wait till something goes bad?
Kinda depends on your inspection when you get it. If the lubricants are spotless clean after a run, no sense in changing them. Hard to tell on the cooling system, so a flush in in order. If your batteries are recent Hawkers, get an AGM charger and use them indefinitely. A grease job per the Lube Order is always a good idea, as Uncle seems to have forgotten what that is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks